best clear intermediate sink for our cold water

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dmoocher, Apr 8, 2007.

1. dmoocher

dmoocher Member

OK folks...I fish exclusively with a clear intermediate in the salt and the line I have sucks...I think it's an orvis...stiff and remembers every loop on the reel. I'm going to get a new line but which one? I'm thinking about the 444 with the clear tip but I need a softer line that works better in the colder water in Jan/Feb...I'm looking for recommendations.

This is for my 6 wt for the rez. coho but I'll probably invest in the same line for my 8 wt for the upcomming pinks...though with the warmer weather, I don't remember the stiffness as much in the summer of '05.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Media:
    I've always used the Rio Aqualux and never had any problems with it.

I really like it.

3. prosopium

prosopium Member

The line a large population of salwater anglers use is the rio outbound. I just bought one a couple months ago and its alright. As long as you stretch the running line out before you start fishing it doesnt tangle so much. They make it for warm and coldwater fishing so make sure if you do buy this line you get the cold water but any fly shop around here will probably only have cold water line. I used to use a full sink line i bought for 5 bucks and this line is a lot better for casting distances. Ive also used a twelve foot sink tip (rio i think) and found that to be my favorite but it wasnt designed for saltwater so it broke down fast, it was much easier to pick up and change directions with.

4. BFK

BFK Member

I've got the SA clear, and it works fine for me--no too stiff, nor do I need to stretch it to get the coils out, since it doesn't really coil. I also have it in the clear tip, and it's fine, too.

5. Preston

Preston Active Member

I've found the Cortland, both clear and camo, intermediate lines remain flexible in any conditions I've encountered fishing the beaches. Puget Sound water temperatures don't vary all that much from summer to winter. Recently I've been using a Scientific Anglers Streamer Express with a thirty-foot, clear, intermediate tip which works well and, being essentially an integrated shooting head (rather like the Rio Outbound), casts long distances easily.

6. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have a couple rio outbound lines, they're great for Puget Sound fishing, they have a 37.5' clear shooting, while the floating running line is 82.5' - it's a 120' line in total. Like Prosopium stated it's essential to stretch your line when you start fishing. This is true with any line though. I can't emphasize how important it is to stretch your lines!

7. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I'm with Preston on the SA Streamer Express. I have been using the 200-grain intermediate around Puget Sound lately and like its properties for casting and minimal tangling in the basket or on the way out. Actually, truth be told, most of the integrated heads offered these days work pretty darned well.

Bruce Ferguson and I used integrated heads extensively in a a lot of our saltwater fishing situations from Puget Sound to SE Alaska and all points between. This fishing took place during a three year period while we were completing the new salmon book: Cortland, Orvis, Rio, SA and Jim Teeny all recceived high marks. I have kept them all spooled on reels for future service.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

8. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    I use a floating outbound while my friend uses a int. tip outbound. great lines.

9. Drag-Free Drift

Drag-Free Drift Member

I've been using a Cortland 444 clear camo intermediate line year-round in the salt for about 18 months. It seems to be quite supple, and I've not had problems with kinking or coiling, even when it's very cold. I also have a 444SL with a 15 foot intermediate clear sinking tip ("Ghost Tip"), which I use on chum in salt estuaries in the fall and in rivers in winter. It has performed well under those conditions: stays soft with minimal coiling, even in very cold water.

10. herl

herl Member

I'm using Airflo's 40+ line. It is very similar to rio's outbound, but has a nicer running line. The running line is thinner and slicker and I have found that you don't need to stretch it for it to work well. I have both types of line and my vote goes to the Airflo.

Eric

11. Porter

Porter Active Member

I have only used intermediate lines as part of a multi line system, Cortland 444 and Rio Multi-Tip...both are good performers for me but I really can't offer a opinion on a intermediate line exclusively. I was really disappointed with airflo but that is going back in some time now...maybe they have upped the performance because many here on this board are praising it of the last year or two :confused: Sometimes after R&D things improve :thumb:

12. Bruce Davidson

Bruce Davidson formerly hatman

I'm using the Aqualux now. I started out last year with the Outbound but got totally frustrated with the tangling (yes, I could've done a better job stretching the line, but I'm too lazy). I went into PSFC and told Anil I was going to burn the Outbound. Someone overhead me and offered me ten bucks for it. It was a win-win-win: Somebody got an Outbound for 10 bucks, I got the Aqualux and like it better, and Anil sold another flyline. :)

The Aqualux doesn't seem to need nearly as much stretching, but some is still required.

13. DeanHosh

DeanHosh New Member

Hi Dave,

I just went on a search myself. Here is what I found so far.

Cortland Camo is very supple but the coating is not as slick. I just put on some dressing and it will probably shoot way better. Also it seemed that after some fishing and getting it wet is was slicker. This is my favorite for performance fish catching line so far. Also I needed to go up one weight. The standard weight seems light to me. I did not weight it.

Orvis Wonderline. Super slick but also very stiff. I found the stiffness trumped the slick coating. i.e. did not cast well. Seemed true to weight but the head taper seemed to be short. i.e. was wanting to have more line out before shooting but could not as the running line does not work as well to load the rod.

SA intermediate. Clear and medium suppleness. Nice coating and shot out well. With some line dressing it should really work well. Taper is very usuable for casting. Not too short before running line starts.

Rio Outbound. Just got this one very pronounced running like and head. Not sure about the welded loop. Seems like a "hold four loops in hand and shoot" line like a teeny T-xxxx line. Also just dressed it and it seemed to only moderatly improve the slickeness. As far as streching the line and removing coils, it de-coils quickly. (In comparison, I cut my finger stretching the Orvis line it had so much memory) Given the diameter of the head I don't think this is a real supple line on the fly end of the line. I mean the head is so pronounced compared to the shooting line, the head will mend like a mace.

So I think it is important to choose a line that will either be a true shooting line that your hold loops or use a basket and just load the head. Or it is a line you cast with 40-50 feet out and then shoot another 10-15'.

To me, it is sometimes more effcient to hold shooting loops and shoot because you get more fishing in and the accuracy is easier to control. But I like casting with 55 feet of line out and shooting the last 10.

Furthermore fishing from a boat is almost always a point and shoot situation. Boat rocking, partner there and need to cover ground or get it out quickly. River bank casting with point and shoot is good because the backcast is always short. On the other hand, float tubing allows for more casting and frankly I get a lot of fly in water time because I am not casting. Seem that shooting line from a tube would require a basket to get 4 loops. ( by a loop I mean one coil held on a finger draped down to about your knees). Wading from shore in salt, a point and shoot is usually better. More fishing time.

So it seems like a Cortland, Rio or SA and then choosing a shooting line or a casting line are the choices. I am thinking if this dressing works out on the cortland then I get the best of both. Slick like that cast well but is supple for good action while tubing.

Hope this helps,

Dean

PS: I am thinking about checking out the striper lines from RIO.

14. Blake

Blake Member

I've been using the Climax Ghost Tip line. It is a grey floating line with a 9 foot clear intermediate tip. It's great. I have it on my 6wt and 8wt and now two of my fishing buddies are also using it. Plus, it's made in the Cortland factory but cheaper than the Cortland lines.

15. dmoocher

dmoocher Member

Thanks for all the great info guys...I'm going to digest all the info and see what I come up with...also I got my Cabela's flyfishing catalog in the mail Saturday and they have a Cabela's brand clear tip F/I that looks promising.

I, like others, know I need to stretch my line but I, like others, are too damn lazy. I'm proud of myself for just rinsing everything off when I get home. I'm positive that a majority of the problems I have with the first dozen casts is directly related to my impatience to get after the fish.

Thanks again guys...

FYI...didn't get out to my beach this weekend but sent a co-workers husband out...he landed 5. Olympia waters are still holding coho.

16. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    I’m not going to add anything regarding particular lines, as there are many good responses already.
    On the related subject of line stretching: Most of the lines discussed here have a nylon monofilament core. Virtually identical to the stuff you will find on tippet spools. Fly line designers can argue the virtues of different cores, for colored lines, but all are forced to use a monofilament core for ‘clear’ lines. Some nylon is less stiff and ‘coily’ than others, but all of these lines MUST be stretched before they are used.:ray1:
    I use a method to stretch my fly lines that takes less than 30 seconds and doesn’t take any outside assistance: As you are pulling line from the reel to cast, simply hold the fly line between your rod hand and the cork while pulling on about a yard of line. Repeat this process until you have enough line to work with. You will be amazed by how much better any fly line will perform once it is stretched.
    If my description is inadequate (it probably was), feel free to come by the shop. I will be happy to show anyone exactly what I mean.
    Anil

17. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Regarding the SA Streamer Express, has anyone had an issue keeping a butt section on that line? Does it come with a loop? In the past with the Rio Aqualux tips, I've noticed that the welded loops don't last more than a few weeks and once you remove the loop the line doesn't hold a nail knot well because the outer coating is so brittle. Thanks

18. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Streamer Express baby.;)

19. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Member

Teeny Mini-Tip is exclusively my subsurface line from the beach. It's an extremely versatile line if you have good line control skills. Fast water? Slow water? No problem, there's rarely a need to fish deep from the beach anyway. Spooky fish? Lengthen your leader.

In deep open water from the boat I use the T-200 most often. Of course I'm not fishing lings, either.

Also:

IMHO the clear thing is nothing but a fad, at least for our fish in the PNW. An illustration: a couple of years ago I was fishing off a beach on the Key Peninsula over a pod of large milling silvers, when I broke off my leader on a fish and found to my dismay that I had dropped/lost my leader spool. Fishing was good, and I didn't want to walk back to camp, so I tied a purple/pink clouser on to the ~10-12 inches of 20lb Maxima butt on my Mini-Tip and proceeded to hook another five or six fish in the couple of hours of tide left that evening:eek: . Hmmm... 5 feet of dark brown sink tip and ten to twelve inches of 20lb Maxima behind a bright yellow running line and lots of action... I seriously doubt a clear line would have made a noticeable difference. Possible, but after years of experience with the Mini-tip in the salt in WA and AK, I doubt it. Let's face it, these fish aren't rocket scientists!:rofl:

20. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Member

And I was just going out to buy a clear line after reading all of this... It's been 20 years since I upgraded, and I figured it was time. I've got an old mini-tip in a box somewhere that Teeny gave me. I guess I'll dig that out and put the money I save into a new rod. Definitely time to upgrade the rod. I don't want people laughing at me.