best "click" on a disk drag reel?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by doublespey, Sep 25, 2008.

1. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    I normally fish Hardy reels, but decided I want a disk drag on a short/light spey rod in my collection. I've tried the Lamsons and Redingtons - what others have you guys found that have an appealing outgoing click??

TIA,

Brian/Doublespey
  2. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    you want loud and coarse like a trad or silky z-z-z-z-z-z- like a high-dollar domestic reel?
  3. Runejl Josh

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I was just going to post a similar question. I like disc drag reels and I also would rather have it click than be silent. I am in the market for a few new reels and those are a few of my criteria.

One reel that has lasted me for a long time is my Tioga. Any higher ends? Thanks,
    Josh
  4. k2flyfisher its taco time. wheres the sauce?

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    hatch. the 7plus does well for both two handed sticks up to 7 and singles up to 8.
    van staal cvex 7/8. same deal.
    danielsson 6nine. same deal but with a quieter outgoing.
  5. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Loudest I can get. :) Most of the disk drags have a very silky purr of a drag - I'd prefer something a bit more raucous.
  6. k2flyfisher its taco time. wheres the sauce?

Portland, OR
    loop classic 7/9. we'll all know when youre on.
  7. Runejl Josh

Bellingham, Washington
    Man all those look awesome. 250 to 350 is more my price range. Any midrange?
  8. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    they may be a tad out of the price range but Spey Company reels are supposed to scream like a horror flick heroine :thumb:.
  9. Will Atlas Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I fish a Ross CLA and while is doesn't have the low guttoral scream of a click pawl reel it is pretty noisy. In the 230-270 range they're very reasonable for the quality
  10. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +827 / 1
    I don't know why in the hell Brian wants a noisier reel, he yells loud enough when he hooks up!

Leland.
  11. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    [IMG]some fish can make quiet reel ...
  12. Will Atlas Guest

others couldn't make a reel sing if you chased them down the river. A few of the hatchery summer runs I've caught this summer have been absolute duds. Makes you feel even less guilt in bludgeoning them on the head I suppose.
  13. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    HOLY $HIT :eek:

Best youtube video yet.
  14. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Sorry Leland - I only yelled because I thought you might like to see what an adipose looks like. :clown:
  15. Runejl Josh

Bellingham, Washington
    If you ever see me on the river please yell if you get a fish also. Ha, I want to see what a Steelhead looks like.
  16. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
    :rofl:
  17. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    jezzus who freaking cares what the reel sounds like if you get a head on be happy you got head
  18. Runejl Josh

Bellingham, Washington
    No doubt Kerry, but considering how few fish we catch we may as well enjoy our gear. I have always had reels that click, so when I have used reels that dont I have felt like there was something wrong with the reel, like the spool wasnt all the way in or something. Just what Im used to.
  19. floatinghat Member

near enough to Seattle
    Stick with the click!
  20. Patrick Quinn New Member

Las Vegas Nevada
    The fine tuned high pitch of a modern machined reel is music to the ears but there is something to the low raw guteral sound of say an old Pflueger reel on the defensive that gets the adrenalin going.