best "click" on a disk drag reel?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by doublespey, Sep 25, 2008.

1. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    I feel the experience is Heightened when all senses are pinging. You definately feel the fish when he's running, you sometimes see him as he flies out of the water, and then hearing a reel scream out line as all this happens makes it that much more enjoyable (for me anyway). I love loud reels, and am about to get rid of my nautilus 12 simply because it is to damn quiet.

Oh Yeah....Sight, touch, and sound all going on at the same time....memories...oh Sweet memories.

2. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Well said. I picked up a Hardy Salmon II for this season. It sings a lovely song.

3. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Media:
    Anybody fish those Spey Company Reels?

4. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I played around with one last Sunday and it's safe to say that my next reel will be a Spey Company reel. Very light, sound as anything, and oh so noisey :thumb:.

5. bconrad

bconrad Member

I have the summer spey made by the Spey Company, and it's sweet. Finally got to hear it sing a while back and it rocked! I actually had an issue with the pawl flipping, but it turns out Tim's putting pins in so the pawl can't flip on all the reels he makes now (mine was one of the first made). He was super cool about updating mine, and turned it around within a week. I'll be buying another reel from him for sure.

6. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Media:
    Thinking about the Snake Roll model handle...anybody mess with the palming ability with a snake handle?

7. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I am still waiting for someone to come out with a traditional and elegant snake handled spey reel for less than 250$.

I would guess it would be easy to do considering what a nice complex reel you can get for a lot less than 250$ these days and that the drag can be a clicker.

8. bconrad

bconrad Member

If I remember correctly, my summer spey doesn't have a palming rim. You "palm" it by applying pressure to the back plate, much the same as a bougle. I don't think an S handle would be any different than the standard one in this situation, other than you're twice as likely to get hit in the knuckles if you're not paying attention!

9. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    I picked up a Hardy St Aiden for a short light spey rod. It felt great, as light as a single hand rod. I never fished a click pawl without a rim for control and wondered how it would handle. Luckily the steelhead gods granted me that wish this past weekend. Reel worked great and I instinctively controlled the reel from the inside and made quick work for a perfect wild fish.

I started with Ross Big Game and Tibor for my speys, but saw no need for a drag system for steelies. If I went to a drag reel now, I would take a serious look at Danielsons reels that my fishing buddy uses. Not for sound, but smoothness under low drag pressure.

Nearly all of my fishing needs no drag and I love the sound of a Hardy ripping off line. Hookups are so rare, why not make the most out of it. After this weekend, I am sold on the St Aiden for my setup.

Joe

10. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

If you can find one , or the other , a Penn Freshwater 4 , or the Don from Sharpes (same reel , different colors) . The loudest click on any disk drag reel I`ve ever heard . Louder than my Hardy Salmon #2 . The drag design is a bit quirky , having a disk built into the spindle , but also uses a double pawl set-up . You can set them to run silent , or scream like a Banshee . You can also change from right , to left hand retrieve by turning a knob on the backside of the reel .

The reel is also fairly hefty , and will hold enough backing for any Spey line made today .

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Several years ago I was fishing with a Bougle' and hooked a nice steelhead, I was waiting for the sound of the reel giving up line and nothing happened. No noise at all. The fish was there, the rod was bucking but nothing from the reel, no line was going out, no screaming clickers, nothing. The fish soon threw the hook and I was standing there with a limp line wondering what had happened. Some how I had wrapped some line around the reel handle with a half hitch during the shoot and effectively tied the line up.:beathead:

12. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:

Calvin, Not sure if you saw what Ed wrote about the Spey Co. reels. I'm gonna start looking for one soon. I copied and pasted what Ed said about palming with reels like Spey Co. reels etc. Sounds Awesome!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you not familiar with the "Perfect" design, there is no need or advantage to incorporating a palming rim onto this type of reel. There is instead, a completely exposed spool face on the opposite side from the reel handle side (winding plate) of the reel. This exposed spool face provides for a superior "palming" surface than the "standard" palming rim. The spool face has a much greater surface area than a palming rim, plus it is located on the opposite side AWAY from the reel handle, thus reducing the incidence of "rapped knuckles". The spool face is better thought of as a "fingering" surface rather than a "palming" surface. The finger-feathering aspect of this reel design provides for manual application of drag from the lightest of fingertip pressure, to a full-on lockup of the reel if need be. This wide range of pressure can be effected immediately, instantaneously, and with great precision and accuracy. It is a bit different than standard palming, but takes no time at all to get used to - place the heel of the palm onto the bottom of the reel, reach around with the fingertips onto the spool face, apply pressure as needed. The bottom of the reel frame provides a solid "base" from which to direct these actions. Adding a palming rim would remove this "solid base" and thus reduce the range and precision of manual braking.

In my experience, there is a no more effective "light tackle" fish fighting capability than the exposed spool face of the Perfect design. As stated before, the finger-feathering mode is the widest ranging, most precise, and time-reactive method for applying manual drag. I have yet to run across any other method of reel drag that can land fish as quickly and efficiently as the exposed spool approach of the Perfect. I am EXTREMELY surprised that no other reel manufacturer has pursued this concept. I would fish no other type of a reel design if it weren't for the fact that the Hardy Perfects I have are very susceptible to corrosion problems, even in freshwater applications.

There is nothing I would like better than to be able to pursue tide Kings and Silvers with a reel that has an exposed spool face - talk about down-n-dirty fighting tactics! Wooohooo, there would be some burnt fingers!!!