Best color for steelhead?? summer?winter??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, Jun 18, 2011.

?

best color for steelhead?

1. Pink

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. purple

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. blue

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. or???

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

I was wondering on what are everyones thoughts one good color for steelhead summer and or winter?? Everyone I have been told pink,pink.pink...etc but I am leaning towards shades of blue,black,purple. So what does everyone else think??

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Whatever color I had on the last time I hooked up. I think it was orange. Maybe it was red. No, it was black. Or was it purple? Brown, that was it. I think. Blue?

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

That's easy, anything in the blue spectrum. I prefer purple. During high light mixing in some crystal dubbing ir sparse crystal flash does the trick. Having said that, color doesn't matter :D

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Spanker,

If you read a bit of the steelhead literature that's around, you'd already know that any color's good, so long as it's black.

Sg

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Black isn't a color, its a shade. Shades don't catch steelhead.

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I wear shades when I fish for steelhead.

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

+1

8. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

9. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Blk n blu or pink alone in winter-
    Summer, Tan/orange ... You can guess the patterns :)

10. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

I usually wear sun glasses.

11. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Purple and Black!

12. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Whatever color you are presenting correctly.

13. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

A buddy of mine never knows what color he is using, let alone what color is best. He's color blind and still catches fish. SS

14. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

a contrast of what the guy next to you is using :thumb:

15. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

I think color is more a choice in different water conditions, summer and winter fish are very different. So here is my winter fish thought process
    Pink - early winter fish moderate to stained water on a bright day - with some flash
    Orange - moderate to clear, with experience you know when to use orange - I think mid-day sun on a bright winter day
    Red/Black - moderate to clear and a bright winter day - I also use burnt oragne/purple on these days as well
    Purple - Really anytime - but I key in with purple on a darker overcast day Lilac is a good winter purple shade mixed with darker purple
    Black/Blue - Purple/Blue - anytime on an overcast day - early or late in the day lower light conditions
    Olive/Brown/Maroon - on low water when the river gets into a sustained low water pattern - I really don't like to fish those kinds of conditions but you have to when you need to. Full moon cold clear winter days.

Flash - flash is very much a personal thing in your flies and I'm still getting to the point of where and when I use it - I'm not there yet and my thoughts are evolving on flash.

Size - the size of fly your fly is another topic when it comes to winter - how big do you need to go. Bigger is not always better and then sometimes you may need that larger size profile to move that winter fish. That is a personal thing as well and each angler I fish with has his/her thoughts on this as well.

"What Fish See" by Colin J Kageyama, O.D., F.C.O.V.D. is a great read and chapter 14 on Feathers and Fur fishing will change some of what you think color is doing 3 to 6 feet under water. You may start to understand that the dying process from batch to batch in dubbing adn marabou will be different and that will change what colors the fish see from fly to fly.
    You also need not to get all wraped up in this shit either - I bet you could toss Balck, Purple and Orange all season and get as many fish as a guy that keeps changing colors for every condition. Some fish will just hit your fly and would probally hit that bug no matter what color it was - but some won't and the guys that get those fish are the guys most of us want to be in winter steelheading.

16. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I read a very enlightening article in fly fishing and tying about color and conditions..I think it's last months issue so look it up. Guy fishes what sounds like our OP and Or. and documented his flies color, outside conditions, condition of the fish etc. for the past 10+ years.

Said the old adage, dark fly dark day really didn't mean diddly..In a nutshell said dark flies catch more fish..BUT they also catch the most stale fish..Bright flies caught more fresh fish, aggressive fish..Interesting in that at times of year he'll fish different colors...like won't fish dark in the spring so he's not hooking kelts etc. Of course water temps also comes into play and I'm not going to get into that , so look up the article if you want to learn more..

This was for WINTER steelhead, summers will take dries so you can figure that out on your own..

17. Brett Bates

Brett Bates Member

There was a great article last month in one of the fly magazines and I will find it and post the name and month. A guy took a 10yr research on bright fly vs dark fly utilizing different elements as to water clarity, chrome fish or dark fish, weather conditions and I believe something else. Amazing article, this guy did his job but in the end dark was all around best fly for all conditions but he did find he took more chrome fish on brighter patterns which he attributed to curiosity of fish in new elements.

18. Brett Bates

Brett Bates Member

didn't make it to end before posting but golfman nailed it. It's a great article

19. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

If I had to pick one color, it'd definitely be black.

20. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

If you guys could pick only one color you'd really choose black over purple?