Best dubbing whirler

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ben Swaner, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Ben Swaner

Ben Swaner Active Member

What do you like? What do you dislike? Let me know! Thanks

2. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Are you referring to a dubbing blender? I would love to get my hands in one. I've got some awesome leech colors to experiment with.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

3. Ben Swaner

Ben Swaner Active Member

Thomas, go pick up a cheap coffee grinder. Works great to make custom dubbing mixes. I'm talking about a dubbing loop whirler.

4. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

You can also get a large ziplock, place your dubbing that you want to mix inside, place a straw in the bag with enough left out for you to blow on, close ziplock on both sides of the straw and blow. This will mix your dubbing very well

5. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

get a heavy brass dubbing twister, they spin a lot better than the other style with the skinny handle. I have both, and occasionally find myself using the skinny one I will use the heavy brass one 90% of the time

6. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Ben, in answer to your question, you want one with a heavy head so that once you get it spinning t will continue for a bit. They have different attachment shapes from a simple hook to a vee-shape that will hold the thread open while you are placing the material in the loop. I'm not sure any are noticeably better or worse as long as you get one that is reasonably heavy.

7. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

ive used the one below since the late 80s with no problems

[​IMG]

8. PETI

PETI Member

Five minutes,0.0 cents

Attached Files:

9. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Is there a reason for the bend in the middle of the clip? That's pretty much what I've been using. I may go steal a bullet sinker from my gear tackle bag to add weight at the bottom just to see how it works.

10. GAT

GAT Active Member

I use one similar to this. Darrell Martin first showed me how to use the tool at a flytying Expo. It works better than anything else I've tried yet. I don't like the ones with the long handles in the least.

[​IMG]

Of course if you learn to split the tying thread as Hans and others do, you won't need to make a dubbing loop but instead use the thread. I'm still working on that technique and am getting better each time I try. The hard part is splitting the thread but once you do, the dubbing fits in snug as a rug and all you have to do is spin your thread bobbin.

11. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

What's the finest size a guy can split?
    Probably more dependent on thread type?

12. GAT

GAT Active Member

Figures, I can't find any of his videos on this forum where he uses the split thread. I first saw him using the technique on a different site.

Most of the time he's using Bennechi 12/0... because the thread is basically flat and you unwind it to flatten it out so you can use a needle to split it. Veevus is also a flat thread that can be used for splitting. I ordered some thread that is specifically designed to split and it is 8/0 but to tell you the truth, it looks just like Bennechi and Veevus. The key is to use a flat thread. Obviously it is easier to split larger size thread than the small stuff but Hans does it all the time with the small stuff.

I did try the special 8/0 stuff and it is easier to split fersure. I'm bound and determined to learn the technique because it replaces the use of a dubbing loop but creates the same effect.

Here ya go, this clip shows both techniques. Hans is good enough that he can flatten the tying thread without using the device shown in the clip.... all he does is untwist the thread until it is flat and then splits it.

13. PETI

PETI Member

Specifically I'm not sure but it seems to have two functions. One it aligns the shaft with the bend in the hook portion to keep them in the same vertical plane and two it seems to provide a counterbalance/almost weight feel to help with the spinning. I've tried without it and quickly reverted.
    I only wish iI could give proper credit to he that introduced me to it. I know it was at a round table I use to attend that included a lot of "experienced" talent. I think maybe Dr. O., you out there?

14. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

those are the SHHIZZ-NIT when it comes to dubbing and hair hackles

Mark Mercer likes this.
  15. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Member

16. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

The one GAT and Kelvin are using are, imo the best. You are able to spin a longer loop with the shorter tool and this model is heavy and gets the job done with one spin.

17. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

People on another forum really liked the turbo, but I also think Mark, Kelvin and GAT have a point that the shorter one may be easier to use. Both look similar to the ones at the bottom of the page here: http://flytyingtools.com/tools/dubbing-tools.html. I wonder if they are the same tools and Wasatch just adds very nice wood to them? I have several of the Wasatch and they are very nice.

18. GAT

GAT Active Member

The shorter version works fine for me. The long handle versions get in my way. I figure if an ACE fly tyer and fly tying author like Darrell Martin uses the short design, it's good enough for me :)

19. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I like the looks of the short one. The turbo was getting a lot of attention on the spey forum because it was used by Marty Howard in his video with Dec Hogan. I have a longer one from another company, but my vise is mounted on a pedestal, so the only room I have is between the head and the table top. That would not be a problem if I mounted my vise with a c-clamp at the edge of my bench, so the longer one could hang down a bit below the bench. Where are people getting the short one?

20. GAT

GAT Active Member

I bought mine at the local fly shop but I've seen them online. It would probably be a good idea to check one of the WFF sponsors to see if they sell them.