Best durable digital camera

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by MX 846, Nov 5, 2012.

1. MX 846 Delusional

Oly Pen... What?
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Anybody have any suggestions for a good water resistant camera? I have had a Pentax Optio for about 4 years and it is a POS! I know it's not just mine cause I have a friend with the same camera and the thing does the same crap all the time.... make blurry pictures when the sun starts to come down, makes blurry pics if you move slightly, and always has some type of warning icon in the view. Yes I have read the directions twice and set it up specified by manufacture. Ready to piss on it and give it to an enemy! Needs to be compact and fit in my pocket as well.
  2. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +260 / 3
    I've been using a Nikon AW100, and I've been really happy with it. I'm not a professional photographer, but it fits my use perfectly. I did take about 1600 pictures with it while on vacation to Europe in September and they came out awesome. From panoramics to close ups of flies. I haven't tried the underwater stuff yet.
  3. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    I've got the Olympus Waterproof/Shockproof camera. It's about 4 years old, but I'd say it works pretty well. It's nothing fancy, but I'm not a great photographer. This one takes good pictures of fish and scenery. I don't use it underwater that often, but when I do I can get some good shots.

J
  4. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +272 / 0
    I have the Fugi (not sure on model) that Costco sells. I have been very happy with it. Like Steve I'm no pro, but for point and shoot it does great. We bought it for a trip to Maui and we were very happy with all the pictures including panoramas. We got some amazing underwater photos and video as well while snorkelling. Best of all the price is right at ~$250.
  5. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +457 / 0
    DSCF0094.JPG DSCF0148.JPG DSCF0151.JPG DSCF0434.JPG
    I've been pleased with the results obtained with my Fuji Finepix XP. It's a simple point-and-shoot, very compact, waterproof (can be used for underwater shots), shock and freeze proof. It has a built in flash, macro setting and a 5x optical zoom, and is rated at 14 megapixels. I found mine on sale for around $120.00. Here are a few examples of pictures taken with it.
  6. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +272 / 0
    I believe that's the one I have. I like it.
  7. MX 846 Delusional

Oly Pen... What?
    Thanks guys.... been online last night and a liitle today shopping and scoping your recomendations. Preston those photos are great. I just wannna find a good camera that fits in my waders pocket, can get wet, take minor abuse, and in a pinch(fish in net) can take a decent point and shoot photo. wish me luck! I will post what I end up with.
  8. bushwacker Member

Shoreline, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I've got an Olympus that's worked fine for me. Much more camera that I need, but no leaks and great pics.
  9. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +457 / 0
    This is not the model I currently own, but the one it replaced. It is similar in size and general appearance to the current model. I just hang it around my neck and drop it down inside my waders.
    DSCF3835.JPG
  10. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +566 / 0
    I currently have been using my Olympus Stylus 6000 waterproof/shockproof for 3-4 years. Works great! I have also owned Fuji's and I think they are good also. But my old Fuji's were NOT waterproof, so............., I highly recommend WATERPROOF cameras for fishing.
  11. Matthew Joyce Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Broke the Olympus Tough from a few years back in my pocket. Unimpressive photos as well. The Canon D10 was bulbous and took about 1.5yrs to kill, but took good photos.

Currently have a Panasconic Lumix TS3 and its the best yet.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  12. Bruce Baker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    Great photos!

I also have the Panasonic Lumix TS3.
  13. MX 846 Delusional

Oly Pen... What?
    I have been shopping the Canon, Fuji, and the Panasonic pretty hard. @ Matthew Joyce those photos are awesome ... really like the photo with the Land Cruiser at the lake.
  14. Matthew Joyce Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Thanks. The Lumix has a HDR mode that gives neat photos that are pretty realistic, its not as exagerated as some HDR, in fact, thats pretty much spot on what it looked like that day when that picture was taken... you know some scenes you dont think a camera will be able to capture because the colours are so vivid in real life, this camera does a decent job. For a point and shoot digital that takes a licking and fits in my pocket, its impressive.