BEST FISHING DAY EVER *sarcasm*

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeff Cheng, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Media:
    Got away from everything yesterday thinking I could spend a few hours on the lake before dark. Thought i'd take out my z-axis instead of my normal rod just for fun. Got to beaver lake all ready to go out on the float tube. Overly excited and didnt' really take the time to line up my rod in a safe area. I grabbed it and started to bend the tip as i was lining the rod (which i normally never do) and *CRACK* the tip of my Z-axis snapped. 15" off the top gone.

It was still too nice of a day not to hit the water so i went out there with my now 578 z-axis. two hard takes that I lost due to the unusual lack of rod length I called it a day (40 mins) and headed down to Creekside where Charlie took care of the rod for me.

Just wanted to vent a bit to people that actually understand how much it sucks to break the tip of my fly rod :( Telling people who dont fish, and more so dont fly fish just really dont get what its like to break a fly rod...my baby.... IT SUCKS! especially when it's my Z-Axis :(

Anyways, Thanks for listening haha :)
    have a good day :)

wasn't sure if venting about a broken rod counts as fishing or NFR.

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    That does suck!

If the z-axis is you backup, what's your normal rod?

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Your story may have more of impact on me if I knew what the devil a z-axis is.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    At least it has a warranty and the reason for the break is probably a hook point/beadhead hit.

5. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Media:
    Patrick, when i'm out fishing for these smaller trout in lakes, i love my Sage ZXL 4wt. Nothing against the Z-Axis! Just more fun on lighter gear for the recently stocked trout.

Gene, sorry it's a Sage rod. It was replaced by the Sage One.

Hook point? Beadhead hit? haha

6. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:

Thanks JJ, I was just trying to imagine something "better" than a z-axis.

7. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Media:
    yeah not much...really love that rod, especially when the wind kicks in. I'm planning on taking it up to Camano while i'm there in the summer for the beach.

8. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I broke the tip of my Z-Axis 6 wt about 6 months ago-took Sage about 3 months for the repair, but since it was during the winter, no big deal. Broke my Loomis IMX 4 wt last summer on a 6 day float on the Middle Fork of the Salmon (had a couple back up rods!) Since Loomis hasn't made the IMX for about 15 years, they gave my a new East Fork 4 wt ($420 retail) instead. My son broke the tip on my Sage RPL+ years ago and that was replaced promptly. I built my son an RPL+ for Christmas about 20 years ago and he slammed it in the door of his canopy-had to rewrap that one as well as the tip of a 5 wt Sage SP I built and later broke. My son (again) broke my Winston BL5 9 wt fishing in Florida, and once again, it was fixed with no problem. I know-I'm a menace to the fly fishing industry! Rick

9. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:

If you don't feel it was a hook hit or beadhead hit then the next would be underestimating the power of a 12 inch hatchery trout. Hooks and beads are the bane of most rod tips, that and mis-timed (formerly called sloppy) casting.

10. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Jeff....you need to buy more rods so you can have more backups, your wife should understand the logic in that!.....Rick...I think I still have some telescoping steel rods that should solve your problems....are you sure our kids aren't related?

11. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I broke my Sage ONE 7 weight, favorite rod in my quiver on literally my last cast of the day at Pass a while ago. It could have been worse like your situation, but it still sucks.

12. Kyle McCurdy

Kyle McCurdy Member

Home Page:
    I feel your pain. I just recently bought a never-been-used Cabelas spey rod and my first day out with it, big fly smacked the tip section and broke it.

Does anyone know if Cabelas will do repair? I bought it second hand so i don't have a warranty card or anything....

13. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    I should have added I've broke two rod tips. Sage replaced them both and it was hook hits in my case.

14. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Geez Rick, I don't think I've broken a rod in over twenty years, maybe longer. You and your son sound like a rod warranty department's worst nightmare.

wadin' boot likes this.
  15. Shad

Shad Active Member

Broken rods are definitely fishing related, at least in my experience. It's been a while since I've broken one (knock on wood), but Sage and Redington (same company, I guess) have both taken good care of me, whether big fish, barbell eyes, or plain stupidity have been the culprit. Sage took a bath on my 6-wt. DS-2, which was my first and only fly rod for about 5 years. They kindly honored their warranty no less than three times on a rod that retailed for about $200 when I bought it. Of course, it doesn't cast as nicely as it did fresh from the factory anymore....

16. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    I went 30 years without a break and then had two break in 2 years. None since in the intervening 13 years. I've changed my casting stroke some to keep hooks and beads away from the top of the rod.

17. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

One broke on a large brown on the Big Hole that went under the raft and the rod ticked the bottom. One happened when a friend and I were both casting out of a raft at the same time and accidentally "crossed swords" Those are the only two that were fishing related! The rest were my son, except one time I put the rod in the case and the tip top hit the bottom of the case a little hard and broke. I have to say, I fish a fair amount and also loan my rods to my two son in laws and two sons regularly, plus my wife also uses my rods, so they are out a lot, increasing the chance of breakage! Rick