Best fishing dog breed?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by RogueBum, Jun 18, 2014.

1. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Home Page:
    That's a BIG, beautiful dog! Unfortunately, I fish out of a little Tote-N-Float. I think a Newfoundland would sink it!

2. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

I'm working with my Brittany pup, Max. So far, he likes the water, but full on swimming isn't tempting him... yet.

In fact, we just got off the Washougal. He loves to splash along the margins, but he's not diving in and swimming in the eddies/pools. Good size too... our guy should be about #40 by the time he's done growing.

Attached Files:

3. Rodney K. Pabst

Rodney K. Pabst Member

RougeBum

Yea, I think you are right about their weight, the last one I fished with for seven years got up to 185 lbs. Great dog and liked to walk the rivers and shore fish at the lakes. Some of the comments about how you train and/or introduce the dog to the water are very good points. We started by training at the beach with a small break. No beach, start on the shore of a shallow beach on a lake. I think, IMHO you can make any breed a fishing dog. Good luck
    Rod

4. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    Can't go wrong with a lab. Sophie has fished with Donna and me in 6 states, wading and rafting a variety of rivers and hiking into wilderness lakes high in the backcountry. Note that she's a relatively small pure breed lab - about 65 lbs. donna and sophie.jpg Sophie in raft.jpg

surfnsully likes this.
  5. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

hydrophobic dogs make great fishing biddies. this one is better behaved on the water than the humans.

Attached Files:

Randall Clark and KerryS like this.
  6. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    a couple of years ago, I had to put down my beloved Springer/Lab mix. He was a blast to take fishing with me, although he sometimes had a mind of his own and couldn't sit still for very long. He'd also lover to try to catch any fish that I'd catch and he loved to swim. So, being that I typically don't take things too seriously, he was great...I just had to make sure I only took him to places where there weren't too many other people around...miss that dog...
    [​IMG]

My current dog is a Brit/Lab mix we got from a shelter who apparently spent the first year and a half of life as a stray down in Baja. He still has a little bit of that "I'm going this direction no matter what" in him...but he's getting better with training, a little stubborn but all dogs are trainable, some just take a little longer.

Both have been amazing family dogs.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  7. Dan Nelson

Media:
    Home Page:
    I forgot to mention the BEST thing about fishing with Sophie: She's an expert at spotting rising trout! She's alerted me to several subtle feeders on rivers over the last few years.

The only problem with that is in lakes - unless we specifically make her sit and wait (or shore or in the raft) she considers risers in stillwater to be fair game for retrieval! When we are backpacking we have to make her sit and wait in camp (she'll quiver and whine but won't dive in) until we are done fishing. Then she'll spend seemingly hours swimming from one rising fish to the next trying to retrieve them. She'll even dive, looking for something to grab and bring back to us.

Steve Call likes this.
  8. PT

PT Physhicist

A lab is a good animal to have as a fishing companion. I can't count the number of times I've been out in the water (up on the Sky) and my dog would be sneering at something in the woods. Piece of mind. They've gone to work with me every day since they were pups and laid on the back of whatever watercraft I had at the time. Hand signals would have them move down the bank to stay out of my back cast range. Brook, the chocolate, helped me fend off 3 guys on the SF Stilly many years ago with the aid of the butt section of my 8 wt RPL. And Tule my current dog kept me sane thru some tough times. Nothing like taking a good looking yellow lab to the dog park when you're hopelessly single.... :)

I'd have another lab in a heartbeat because of the breed. Can handle any weather and they aren't high strung. Not the smartest of dogs but obedient enough to teach anything to. My next dog might be on the smaller side so considering a Portugese Waterdog.

May 28 2014 212.JPG lkr2.jpg Misc9292013 019.JPG

smc, JesseC and Dan Nelson like this.
  9. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:

Awe man, awesome! I love Brittany puppies. Congrats!

Float tube.jpg

Rocky dog.jpg

aplTyler likes this.
  10. RogueBum

Home Page:
    That's a big dog!!! That would sink me!

Travis,
    Is your Brittany with you on a single man pontoon? Do you have a landing for her or is it just a "balancing act"?

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Rod,

Thanks for asking about Kuma. He is doing well. He is pushing 11 years old and is still in relatively good health for a big dog. He is slowing down quite a bit and has some arthritis developing. I keep him moving as much as I dare. We let him set his own pace now days and the walks are a lot shorter. His fishing days are over and anymore he won't swim preferring to just wade. We are watching his weight closely. He weighs in at just under 200 lbs. and we don't want that to creep up due to his lower activity levels. In fact we are now trying to lower his weight a bit to lessen the strain on his hips and front legs. Considering Kuma and my health issues together we are walking wrecks but we both will continue on for as long as we can.

Boomer looks like a lot of fun. Wish I could meet Boomer.

12. Rodney K. Pabst

Rodney K. Pabst Member

IMG_0185.jpg IMG_0228.jpg Kerry
    Boomer at 8 weeks.

Kuma is pushing 11 y/o, that is freaking awesome in a Newfoundland! Good for him. I thought Buttons was the biggest Newfi I ever heard of, 200 lbs WOW. Good luck to you both. Newfi's Rock!
    Rod

smc and KerryS like this.
  13. Scottpuck

Scottpuck Member

Papillon

Nuff said.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm a lab guy. Always have been. Have had other breeds mixed in, but when it came to fishing, the lab was always my best companion. I did have a lot of luck with my basset hound too. She was great in the boat, loved the water, and nice thing she wouldn't go in unless instructed.

Really watch the breeds though. Not all are good "fishing" dogs. I say lab, only because they are good on the water no matter what the conditions are outside. Some dogs just can't stand the cold or rain. Some can't stand being wet at all. Not training, it's the breed. Think that's why I always go back to a lab. Plus, with the correct training they'll stay out of the water until told to.

Onto other dogs. Also research breeds a bit. Having a wife who's a vet tech helps when it comes to other dogs. Some dogs just are trouble (both financially in med bills and attitude). You can get lucky. But some are just prone. Like Goldens. They are prone to tumors.

Oh, and again with labs. If you catch a good breeder, you may be able to find a smaller lab too. My wife made a joke to one of her breeders coming in that if this one pup was still available, she'd be interested (we had just lost one of our old men, and the other was close to passing). We had no interest really in another dog. Losing Rocky was devastating on the family, and Kody was close to passing (and that was my wife's baby, she was doing as much as she could for him to keep him alive but living a fulfilling life at same time). So we had no real want to bring a puppy in. Well, breeder made my wife a hell of a deal on her remaining pup (the one Tiff had liked). She was from an Irish Retriever (breeder bought a yellow lab stud from Ireland). She's maxed out on size (she's about a year and a half now) and is only 50 pounds (dad was small too). Our other two labs were 85 and 95 and all muscle. Her half brother is owned by my mother in law. He's 90 pounds. Funny to see the two of them side by side. Same mother, different dad. The smaller dog, but still having a lab, is pretty nice actually.

15. RogueBum

Home Page:
    Jerry,

Sorry about Rocky. Dogs truly are man's best friend & it's never easy when they go. I'm not looking forward to Sheba's day. That being said, do you think it's viable to look at larger breeds but only hunt out the runts? Maybe they will stay smaller that the others? 50 pounds is manageable, 90 pounds... not so much.

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL, no. Won't work. Kody was the runt of the litter. In his younger, more muscular, days he was almost 95 pounds. Had to keep him on a strict diet to keep him down to 85 when his knee started to give.

Yeah, was tough when first Rocky, then Kody, went. Both were around 14. Kody was devastating for my wife, since he was our "baby" together.

17. RogueBum

Home Page:
    Oh well. Back to the chihuahua ;)

18. Scottpuck

Scottpuck Member

Okay, I was kidding about the papillon.. No offense to any pap owners. On a serious note, the best dog for me is the pound puppy that needs a chance and a good home.

My life is too busy for dogs, but I always try to have cat in the house. My last cat came from humane. Reason she was in there... The cat no longer matched the owners furniture. Yeah, there are some real winners out there.

19. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

why didnt they just dye it ? thats what my gf does to her hair when the drapes no longer match the carpet ;)

20. Dan Nelson

Media:
    Home Page:
    There definitely are smaller labs out there. Sophie tops out at about 65 pounds and she's in her prime right now (5 years old) and one of Donna's friends as a sweet 50-pound lab. Apparently that breeder had a lot of 50- to 60-pound labs (FYI: our friend moved out from the mid-west somewhere and I think that breeder is somewhere east of the Mississippi). We got Sophie when she was 12 weeks old from a friend of a friend in Portland who couldn't keep her (family emergency) and my buddy knew we had lost our previous lab a year before. The Portlanders got her from a breeder in Grants Pass area but I don't know which one.

Long story short, If you want a smaller lab, make some calls to quality breeders and someone will eventually lead you to a someone who turns out good, smaller labs. Or check with the Lab Rescue outfits.

http://www.pslra.org/html/rescue.html