Best Floats in Washington??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mike Colagrossi, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Mike Colagrossi

Mike Colagrossi Whammo!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well myself and a few friends just drug up enough cash and bought our first drift boat, and we are wondering what some of the better floats are in the WA area? I am familiar with the Yak (from all the time I have spent hiking up and down the banks :) ) but we would love some input about other great floats that have great scenery, fishing etc..

Tight Lines,

Mike

:thumb

2. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

The Sauk from the mouth of the Suittle (sp?) to what I think they call Government bridge is nice. I haven't been there in a few years. The Skagit between Rockport and Concrete is good too(I'm not sure where it's open.) You get plenty of glimpses of the highway, but overall all the scenery runs from really really nice to spectacular. You'll see a whole bunch of very appealing steelhead water, and you actually have a decent shot at as big and beautiful a wild steelhead as swims anywhere.

There is a little water to have to row through on the Sauk. I don't think any would be classed above 2+, but you should at least be a moderately experienced and competent oarsman, or have one in the boat. (oh yeah; and you have to slide your boat dwon a twenty foot bank.) The Skagit is pretty easy; stay out of back channels unless you scout them first. Maybe float the Sky between Sultan and Monroe without rods once or twice, or go fish the Yakima in the canyon a couple of times if you need to get some rowing under your belt.

3. jcskagit

jcskagit New Member

Mike,

I live in Concrete & would suggest the Rockport to Concrete float. The water's friendly, holds fish. Scenery is great! Or the run from Marblemount to Rockport is also very good. Probably not as many fish this winter. Summer it should be good. Marblemount to Concrete is an all dayer. 15 miles+
    The Sauk changed it's path last winter. A guide I know & respect says it's not a matter of weather your going to hit, it's where & how hard!
    Have Fun, Jeff:)

4. Mike Colagrossi

Mike Colagrossi Whammo!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jeff and Ray,

Thanks for the input and I can't wait to try out your advice. I have also been told stories about the Grand Rhone, and I was wondering if anyone ever does any fishing out there and what is it like?

Mike

5. sinktip

sinktip Guest

Stay away from the lower Rhonde in your drift boat! It is all a piece of cake except for a little something called the Narrows. Unless you are very good on the sticks, a trip through there could turn your first drift boat into your last.

If you and your buddies have little experience on the sticks, I suggest either of the Skagit drifts.

6. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sled boating years ago on the Skagit, I used to avoid a chute above Marblemount, above Bacon Creek too, I think, called "Shovel Spur" I think. I was afraid the standing waves would go right over the low bow of the sled, and we'd go right on down, like a 20 ft. Hot Shot. How is that slot in a drift boat?

7. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Skagit is relatively easy for a beginner...I just purchased my boat last October. Best advice I received "if it looks shallow...stay in the middle!" Depending on the size of the boat...I would suggest only one other passenger (for the first time)...keeps the boat light and a little more responsive. Use the "frog" water to get comfortable with the oars...definitely "play around" in the easy water at the beginning of your first drift...it will help you get a good idea of how the boat handles. Last but semi-important...make sure your buddy doesn't leave his keys in your vehicle!