Best Fly for Freshly Stocked Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Analysis Paralysis, Apr 23, 2009.

1. bobaloo100

bobaloo100 New Member

2. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    In the late 60's and early 70's when I started flyfishing, Carey Specials were very popular. I liked three different versions: 1. A fairly thick olive chenille body. 2. Yellow hackle fiber tail, body wrapped with a long pheasant rump feather. 3. #8-12 hook, red hackle fiber tail, black wool body with silver tinsel rib, only 1-2 turns of pheasant rump hackle.

Like most of us, I now use more modern patterns. I'm not sure why, as the three previously mentioned patterns were easy and cheap to tie and caught a lot of fish.

Small olive seal-buggers work great for me on recently planted trout.

Tom

3. Rocket Red

Rocket Red Vegetarian Cannibal

Best Fly for Freshly Stocked Lake- Proof Pics

The olive seal bugger was key today. Outfished all others about 14-2, at least until 8:30 when we had to go to the ball field for pictures.:beathead:

Fun couple of hours though.

[​IMG]

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Bead-head Bugger anything (tho I favor olive), followed closely by a Damsel Nymph . . .

5. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    bleached deer hair on a hook, looks just like a pellet

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Planted trout will just about hit anything on the surface for the first two weeks. I watched some fish beat up a cigar wrapper one day. They (the fish) stayed with it until the wrapped sunk.

Jim

7. Analysis Paralysis

Analysis Paralysis Member

Well, nothing like a reformatting a hard-drive to get in the way of posting! I thought I should follow up and say that opening day was good, but not as good as some of the other folks who posted (hats off to you). The wife and I together hit three lakes (Martha @ 164th, Lake Serene, and Echo Lake - all in Snohomish County). By far Martha was the most packed and had the most action. I caught a stocked fish in all three, nothing worth noting and all were released to grow a little more. However, the winning fly of the day (at least for me) was a #10 Wolly Worm with Black Crystal Flash Chenille, Red (or brass) wire, and black hackle. My wife caught one on a red/siver chironomid, so that was good. While I didn't catch a boat-load of fish, or a monster, I am satisfied because all of these were caught on flies I tied (which is a first for me). Thanks again for all of your advice, it is truly appreciated!:beer2:

8. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

Media:
    try stripping a hot orange cherynobl ant across the surface...
    also my best luck on planters is trolling any kind of streamer (wooly bugger, carey, whatever) unnaturally fast. it keeps the fly up in the water column and for some reason catches fish.