Best gun for elk and mule deer

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Andrew Shoemaker, Apr 22, 2014.

1. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

My brother is a real hunting nut having bagged big game on four continents. He loves his .300 WSM except for the really big stuff. The newer bullets made a lot of things possible. Even with factory ammo many stock rifles will punch very tight groups. I certainly agree with Alex that most people don't have the needed optics and many of those who do can't effectively set them up for long range shooting.

IMHO hunting is about the stock and a clean kill, but must admit I've done precious little hunting since I moved to Washington... just too many people out and about that are not careful with firearms.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  2. Andrew Shoemaker

Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Alright, I think I've decided to go with a 30-06 for all three cervidae. Now who can tell me the best gun shop in western WA where I can buy a quality, well cares for used rifle for a fair price?

3. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Buy new.

4. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Don't mean to be argumentative Upton, but the lack of QC, and some of the horror stories about new production long arms, I am not certain that this is sage advice.

Since it will be a new firearm to the purchaser, I would suggest that a good in store examination of a well preserved used firearm, then a test drive at the range. NEW does not always = BETTER.

Besides, it is always a good idea to be real familiar with your firearm before venturing out into the hunting and killing field.

I concur that the choice of a 30-06 is a good one. But that opinion and a couple of bucks, will get you a beer in most places.

Andrew Shoemaker likes this.
  5. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Pre 64 model 70,Leopold 3x9scope and your good to go!

6. Upton O

Home Page:
    If I were looking for another fireArm, I'd probably go for a new CZ in whatever caliber I needed. They've gained a good rep and are not unreasonable in price.

7. Olive bugger

Right on there. Only criticism I would have, is that some of their wood is not the prettiest. Like that is all that important. But then again, some of their wood is gorgeous. Everybody I have heard from says the same thing. They shoot bug holes.

8. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Yeah, CZ is very well respected, and rightly so. But for my money, I'd get a 700. Also, with a used firearm, you don't know what the barrel history is. This is especially true with the 6 and 6.5mm groups. People here like to stuff too much powder into the things to get really flat-shooting bragging rights. This serves to burn out the barrels a LOT quicker. You get what you pay for. Another option is to look at Howa M1500, which is a Weatherby Vanguard action. A very nice gun, but with the Hogue overmolded stock, a little heavy; certainly heavier than a new Rem 700. I own both, and both were bought new. Either is an excellent firearm, but I'll take my 700 over the Howa.

9. Olive bugger

I have always been a fan of Remington and the 700. Never owned one but lusted after them like crazy. That said, with all of the QC issues
    with them and Marlin, over the last few years, I would be a bit reluctant to buy a new one. However, the new ownership of the company might turn that around. A fine old gun company. A good take apart inspection of a new model 700 might help in these circumstances.

Hot rounds will burn out a barrel right fast, for sure.

steelydan likes this.
  10. Andrew Shoemaker

I really don't think I can afford a new rifle. Keep in my mind I'm a college student who only works part time.

11. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    You could do worse cost wise and performance wise than a Ruger American Rifle. For around $360 for a new rifle with adjustable trigger, free floating barrel, composite (drag around the woods) stock. Slap a decent 3x9 on it, add a sling, go to the range, sight it in for 100 yards...ready to go except the stalk and shot within range.

When you become a seasoned hunter and want something nicer (may be a way off after school, family, etc) you can always give it to one of your kids to hunt with.

JMHO

12. Upton O

Home Page:
    Ruger is a good choice for sure. I had a model 77 in 30.06 that grouped very wel; shot whitetails, muley's and a moose with it, all one shot kills. Had a Redfield 2-7 power on it, good set up.

13. Andrew Shoemaker

Thanks for the advice Roper and Upton. When I was a teenager I had. Ruger Mark 3 in .270 win and I loved that gun. So I wouldn't min another Ruger and the prices you mentioned sound real appealing to me.

14. scottr

scottr Active Member

Media:
    Andrew for used guns DJs in Bothell has good selection but in the money you'd spend on gas you might go the new gun route. Both the Remington American and Savage Axis are great guns for the money.

I have had good experiences at Low Price Guns in Bellevue. You can order through their website and pick it up in their store for no shipping costs. I have bought guns at Cabelas but their prices tend to be higher than other stores so look for sales. Cabelas also has a great used gun selection.

I have heard good things about Federal Way Discount Guns (not to be confused with Discount Guns) but never shopped there. Some Fred Meyer stores have gun counters and their prices seem competitive, if you know someone that works there they often do a freinds and family discount coupon that is good on gun purchases.

15. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

16. Joshw

Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Media:
    I have also heard excellent reviews (accuracy, trigger, etc.) on the Marlin XL7. Price is right around the Ruger American.

Josh

17. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Remington 700 all the way. You can customize that to what ever you want. New barell no prob... New cal no prob.. As long as it's the same bolt face.. New stock with box mag no big.... I like a 700:)

Olive bugger likes this.
  18. Chris Selvar

Chris Selvar Member

I have a Weatherby Mark V in .300 win mag I have been considering selling if your interested. I realize weatherby's are on the higher end of hunting rifles. This is a Fibermark composite (blued metal and composite stock) factory accumark muzzle brake. Very very small rub mark on the barrel about ⅔ the way up. Probably looking for $1100 or so, bases and rings included and probably 140 rounds of high quality .300 win mag hunting and match ammo

19. John Dude

John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

I still swear by my 280 Ackley Improved. That's the 280 Remington (30.06 necked to 7mm bullets), with the shoulder moved and the case blown out straight.
    It sends 7mm bullets at same speed or faster than the 7mm Rem Mag, burns less powder, kicks less, and gets smaller groups than 7mm Mag, or 30.06.

Mine is a 1938 Brno Czech Mauser action, rebarrelled by Kimber arms, with synth stock, scope mount, etc - Kimber was selling these for 199$

Have to also agree with everything Upton said above about accuracy. Practice with your rifle a lot before going out!

20. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    It's a shame Remington screwed up the original .280. Had it been loaded to similar pressure as the .270, it would have been the perfect cartridge in-between the .270 and .30-'06. And now there's some confusion over the original .280 AI wildcat (at least as it was most commonly spec'ed) and the newer SAAMI version. It seems the .280 just can't get no love.

Are you referring to felt/perceived/peak recoil?