Best gun for elk and mule deer

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Andrew Shoemaker, Apr 22, 2014.

1. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    At one time I had 3 .280 Remingtons. One on an 03-A4 action, another on a 1917 and a Featherweight model 70 in .280. The 1917 was barreled by Cloward and liked to shoot small groups. It's on "permanent loan" to a friend of mine.

2. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

You might look at Savage. The model 16 comes in most calibers and MSRP is 750ish including 3x9 nikon. They're making an awfully accurate firearm these days, what with the accutrigger and that fancy stock, and their rifiling process. I want a 10 for punching paper...

3. jasonj

jasonj New Member

Now let me start by saying I've been shooting for about 25 years, hunting for almost as long, and worked for many years at a gun shop. If I were going to buy "one hunting rifle to do it all" in Washington state, I'd pick up a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 30-06. Good caliber, easy to find ammo, pretty good selection of bullet types/weights, and in my not so humble opinion, best hunting rifle you can buy out of the box (bone stock, no gunsmithing) for under $1000. I've owned 2 Tikka's and they superb. My first was at SS T3 Lite in .300wsm that would shoot .75 moa with Federal Fusion 165 grain. My current hunting rifle is a Tikka T3 Superlite (fluted barrel) stainless in .308. It's ridiculously accurate for a lightweight hunting rifle. I don't hunt elk in this state so it does everything I need for deer or bear.

4. John Dude

John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

Felt recoil. The Kimber version of the Mauser 98 with scope is about 8 1/2 lbs. Most rifles in 7mm mag are about the same, or maybe up to a pound less, so that's
    more felt recoil on the lighter weight gun