Best gun for GWS protection?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by martyg, Feb 16, 2013.

1. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Seriously. I might not go out again without a gun. What is the most effective load? If I am attacked what do I do? Play dead? Fight back? Spit in its mouth? Is their shark spray?
  2. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    any handgun to dispatch your self with
    Beachmen, guy_fly, Dehlan G and 2 others like this.
  3. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    I suggest a harpoon torpedo (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpoon_(missile)). But it might be a bit bulky. I don't think they come with a shoulder harness yet - might have to find it after market. Alternatively, if you have a knife, stab your buddy and keep him/her between you and the shark......

Steve
    obryan214 likes this.
  4. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Best gun for shark-infested waters is a big wave gun, since it paddles faster. Then there is tow-in surfing, where you are waterskiing on the outside to line into the waves (instead of getting in position and sitting, and waiting...with legs dangling...). Your buddy on the jet ski swoops in after your ride, and you grab the tow-rope and your buddy on the jet ski hauls you back out. If the Landlord shows up, don't let go of the rope, but haul your okole out of there.

Those electric "shark wires" were about $600 last time I checked. I read that some surfers were using them. I am seriously considering one for yak fishing in the ocean.

edit: I checked, and the "better marketed" product (almost has me convinced) is the "Shark Shield," for $649 on their US website. Ouch! Don't think I can survive that first bite.:eek:

I went to the beach at the Jetty yesterday afternoon, since it felt like summer here (55 F) and I am still taking it easy with my casting arm.
    Surf was a bit large, but ridable, and there were a bunch of surfers out. Including a friend of mine who was riding his body board out at the peak. They'd all heard about the shark sighting, but that happened last Sunday, and yesterday was Friday.
    I watched for a while at high tide and afterwards thru binocs. There were some decent waves, and some good rides. I didn't notice anyone getting eaten (hammered, slammed, snuffed, obliterated, washed, and otherwise punished, but I did not see anyone get gobbled by a hollow tube, nor by a shark), nor did anyone see any sharks.
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Back in the early '70's at Sandy Beach on Oahu, on one fine morning, a good sized reef shark was cruising outside the bodysurfing area. The lifeguard on duty, (I think his name was Mark Greenwald) donned his mask and fins and went out and speared it with a "power head" spear loaded in his spear gun. That's a 12 gage slug or buckshot rigged on the end of a spear. The impact triggers the shot. He had the shark corner-to-corner in the bed of his truck, with the head pushed into one corner, and the tail was sticking out over the back corner. It was a full grown gray reef shark, about as big as one sees.
    I remember Mark saying, "I'm not going to let a shark take over my beach!"
  6. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    Bag stick.
  7. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,101 / 4
    After watching a show recently on National Geographic, I have invested in a pet Orca who accompanies me on all of my off shore fishing excursions. You can get past a dog, but NOBODY fucks with an Orca.
  8. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    But Nick your pet orca would be very expensive to feed.... Can you catch enough to feed it? Or maybe it can be like a pet falcon/hawk. It catches its own dinner and shares with you...

Steve
  9. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,101 / 4

That is definitely a valid concern, Steve. One that I considered at great length prior to acquiring the Orca. I lucked out in this case.... It turns out that this particular Orca had long ago developed a taste for local garden gnomes, and over the years has taught himself to be a completely self sufficient whale, surviving off of the carcases of GWS who venture too close to me while fishing, and the occasional garden gnome unlucky enough to stray too close to shore. (If you'd be so kind as to not let this tidbit of info out I would appreciate it. I'd hate for 'Boot to think that my Orca has anything to do with the disappearance of Footy Gnome)
  10. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +186 / 0
    .50 cal machine gun mounted to the bow of your boat on a swivel mount of course.
    McNasty likes this.
  11. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    I guess that based on Hollywood precedent (and what better, more reliable source can there be??), a scuba tank and a rifle are the perfect combination when one wishes to remove a pesky GWS from your favorite beach...

Steve
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  12. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Avoid dawn patrol, surfing late evening, surfing alone at those times and on big high tides when there's lots of bait fish and birds around and with or without seals and sea lions in the lineup. I surf smaller waves now, and no longer sit way outside, especially when surfing alone.

Yak fishing off headlands or jetties with sea lions around, and nearby drop-offs to deep water...:(
  13. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    (fixed it for you:D )

Just poke 'em in the eye! Punch 'em in the nose. Punch or stick your hand in its gills.
    Bang stick...make sure you don't blow a hole in your yak! 12 gage slug. Almost sounds comforting, but if a GWS was chewing on the bow end of my yak, I'd try not to move and get its attention, nor would I provoke it if it was just "test biting," like some have been known to do. I'd be busy holding on for dear life, anyway, if I was still on my yak. It might just let go and swim off.
    I heard that bang sticks were illegal in WA.
  14. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +603 / 0
    Just a knife . . . really . . . I saw it on "Sea Hunt."
  15. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +958 / 1
    If it was me I'd work something along the line of the vile tasting stinkbug. I'd poop in my wetsuit. No self respecting great white could handle the taste of that.

But a word of caution. Remember to wipe good when switching from your wetsuit to your street clothes.
  16. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +369 / 0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=2I91DJZKRxs&feature=fvwp

I also liked this compendium of shark attacks on the big screen:

The octo-shark and bridge/airplane eatin' sharks are my favorites!! :)

Hmmm....maybe I'll be a little more cautious the next time I pull on the waders? How 'bout you 'yak, 'toon and SUP folks???? ;):confused:;)
  17. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
  18. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Thanks for the correction, I wonder how they would make the case for using it as protection in a small craft, no scuba or halibut gear on board. In Georgia we always had a bang stick with the crew on our research dives, of course, there were a lot more sharks and species of sharks that could/would eat you, too. Up here in liberal land I can believe they would make bang sticks illegal. Nothing like blowing a hole through an under/over sized ling cod for sport.
    Alex MacDonald likes this.
  19. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    I have two ideas. One is a shark bang stick which basically has a bullet load or electrical shock which when you push it into the shark, it hits it so hard that they swim away. The other is if you are a little closer because it is a knife but the cool thing about the knife is once you stab the shark, there is a button which expels gas at a high rate and will blow up the shark to pieces. I personally would go with the bang stick.
  20. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +641 / 0
    You'll never make the six o-clock news by playing it safe!!!!