Best gun for GWS protection?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by martyg, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    I saw a yak angler out along the jetty today, as well as some anglers who hiked out in the wind and rain. I usually wait until Ling season opens, which is Mar 16 this year. Seems like in recent there's too many jetty anglers chomping at the bit to be out there early and start catching the other species available. There will be plenty of yak anglers out there to spread the risk this year, I'm sure.
    I still might order a Shark Shield for peace of mind when fishing out near and around the outer tip of the Jetty. A kayak viewed from below might just look like something swimming on the surface.
    I just can't get used to feeling like prey out there...like a gigantic dry fly twitching along a seam, or some kind of "waker"...
  2. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +751 / 0
    We used bang sticks or shark darts, but the darts worked best in shallow water. Personally, I'd prefer a grenade.
  3. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    Just heard about another fatal GWS attack, this time in New Zealand. Cops went out and shot the shark. No mention of caliber.

Sounds like the victim was quite a waterman. Expert paddler, bodysurfer, surfer, long-distance swimmer, etc. My condolences to his family and friends.

The cops thought they killed the shark, since they saw it roll over and sink after they shot it, but at least two other large sharks also were seen in the vicinity when the attack happened. Perhaps a family group or "pack?" We used to believe that GWS were solitary, but recent evidence suggests otherwise.
  4. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +59 / 0
    According to the Vice President, it's a double-barreled shotgun. Just blast it into the water anywhere sharks might be present or whenever you feel threatened.