Best Hand Gun to carry while Fly Fishing... Chest holster.

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Mike Wilson, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Thanks Philster. I also found a conversion for a Springfield that turns it from a .40 into a 9mm. Need to do some field testing now. Which one feels right and the one I naturally shoot more accurately.
  2. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    The glock has different grip angle than most guns out there. So if you have experience with other guns it may feel awkward. not to me, because I've shot Ruger MK 22s for ever, and it's not that different from those. On the flip side something like a 1911 feels pretty alien in my hands. Just be aware that if you have experience with other guns the Glock will likely not "feel right" the first time you pick it up.
  3. Uboatman Is it possible to fish, surf and golf all at once?

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    OK, so I have been going around on this as well... but for a different reason. I travel quite a bit and recently have been able to get up to AK and fish on my own. I've been stopping and buying a can of bear spray, but at 40bucks a pop, that adds up. My motivation if bear protection, but also so I dont piss away 40-50 bucks on a can of bear spray that I can not bring home with me (ol TSA doesn't let you carry that on, or check it folks).

So, leaning towards a G20 10mm. Then 4-5 trips into it, at least I have a half a G20 paid for. Any one else fly and fish a bit and carry for the same reason? Last time out, I went to the local fly shop and dropped off my can of spray and said.... offer this up as a loner to other fly in and out guys. Seems like that would be the best option, that fly shops just lend out cans and hopefully people bring them back. maybe I'll start a website :)
  4. Joe Mateas Member

CA Delta
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    All this plastic gun talk makes me want to vomit....JK... I don't know about any of you guys but I carry a either a Springfield or Smith 1911, more accurate and reliable(as long as you have a few hundred down the pipe) than any other.... Plus it's a piece of American history. I guess if you want something that looks takticool or are looking to be the next mall ninja in the hood, a Block... I mean Glock or an XD will work but they are not the most accurate guns, no plastic frame I've shot has ever compaired to the 1911 or the good old all metal smith auto's. If weight is the issue I don't see it, my S&W 1911PD is commander length and weighs less loaded than my full size Springer does empty, it has an aluminum frame. I only carry for the two legged critters so .45 ACP will be fine but I'm not too sure of it's penetration on big game(I'd hate to shoot something only to have it run off with a bullet left in it to get infected and die alot slower/more painfull), I'd feel more comfortable with a 10mm, .44mag, or .357mag.
  5. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +331 / 0
    Your 1911s are more reliable than any other handgun? I don't see how a gun could be more reliable than a Glock. They could be equal at best. Bury a 1911 and a Glock in the sand, roll 'em around in the mud, drop 'em from the roof, then see which is more reliable. Glocks are accurate enough for a defensive weapon, about as reliable as a hammer, easy to operate right or left handed, and affordable. Their mag capacity is typically higher than 1911s too.
    You can joke all you want that Glock owners are trying to fit into some kind of image, but I could easily make that argument about 1911 owners.
  6. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +735 / 0
    All I know is John wayne never packed a glock!!!
  7. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    or carried bear spray
  8. obryan214 New Member

Tacoma Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I usually carry a small Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum. Light and stainless steel just in case I dunk it.
  9. Benjy Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    Killer elk laying in wait for the unsuspecting fisherman. I needed a good laugh!
  10. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +331 / 0
    I thought about this in the last week, while cutting firewood, with a Glock on my right hip that was getting a steady spray of wood chips from my chainsaw. I just blew the dust off and put it back in the holster when I got home.
    [IMG]
  11. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    S&W 38 special, compact, ready to rock and plenty of punch!
  12. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Nothing beats a glock for reliability. a .40cal my vote G22 OR G35. get a G17 9mm, and ya can stuff a 33 round clip in your pack, although a bear may only like the scratching that a 9mm can provide.
  13. TB Member

Ma's cow, Idaho area
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I tend towards the .45 ACP, or LC. I'm more concerned about the two legged predators than the 4, so I consider the ACP adequate for the larger majority of occasions I may need it, yet not too small to stop a charge if needed. It may take multiple rounds, but that 230gr. slug has real good terminal ballistics. I like the .45LC too because I will cut off a .410 shell and put one or two in the cylinder for snake shot, and still have a few rounds that will take down anything else. When in large game country that could become dangerous game if the conditions were just right, I can use some of my hand loads in the Ruger, that develop more energy than factory .44mags. are loaded too, and a 325gr. slug has better terminal ballistics yet.

Ultimately though, you want to carry the largest caliber you can hit what you intend to with.
  14. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +787 / 1
    Ruger Redhawk 444-KHR with this holster. http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

Never rusts, you can use it to drive tent spikes, and if you don't actually hit the beast, the flash and thunder will send it and every frickin living thing within sight scampering off.
  15. Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

Seattle
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Dude....CWP, GNP, AR, FA.....word up will ya? .....we aren't texting here.
  16. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,776 / 0
    .357 stainless wheel gun. You can bury in the mud, rinse it off in the river and start shooting. Light enough to pack even under your arm but still heavy enough to drop most anything you will run into south of AK.
  17. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    and you get six tries to git-r-done.
  18. TB Member

Ma's cow, Idaho area
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    With a .357 you shouldn't need more---unless there's more targets.
  19. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    there are always more targets, havn't you been watching the "walking dead"
  20. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    No, but I have encountered a few "walking heads" & other undesirable entities while out & about. I'll continue to carry my insurance policy of choice . . . a venerable 1911 that is ultra reliable (I know 'cuz I shoot it . . . a lot!). Not dissing Glocks . . . they are fine handguns as are the Springfield XDs (one of which I also have); Glocks just don't "fit" me well. Carry something with which you practice & and are proficient or carry nothing and rely on the chance that you will never need to defend yourself . . . it's an individual choice. Given an option in a deadly-threat scenario, I'd much rather pay an attorney than have my Kids pay a mortician, but that's just my opinion. FYI . . . a can of wasp & hornet spray is another option to bear spray & there's more of it & it sprays farther (there is a can within reach just inside my front entryway, in the event that a wasp with evil intentions happens to come to my door. I guess at 64 I'm one of the 2 "p's" again . . . prepared or paranoid, because undesirable things like home invasion can't happen to me?).