Best High Alpine Fly Rod

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Ned Wright, Apr 26, 2009.

1. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
  2. Randy Knapp Active Member

Warm Springs, Virginia, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    That is one great looking rod, Kent! I'm envious.

Randy
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,354 / 9
    I agree Kent, that is sweet looking. Looks like Bill Z does great work. I built myself a 4/5 wt 7pc that packs down to 18" and love its moderate action. I did not fly fish much when I hiked a lot before, but as my girls grow I think that will be my pack rod of choice.
  4. BiscuitBoyd New Member

seattle, wa
    TFO 4wt Pro 4 piece rod. The thing is built to last and has an awesome no fault warranty just in case.
  5. sroffe Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    So, when you pack your rod, do you keep it in it's tube, and carry the reel in a separate pocket? Since there are rod and reel cases made for a variety of rods, I was wondering if anybody used them? Or would they just take up extra room and weight?

In the past I've packed my 4pc 5 wt with me. Now have a 5 pc 4wt that I'd like to take hiking.

Sam
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,354 / 9
    I've built a 4/5wt 8' 7pc. I carry it in a combo case strapped to the side of my pack sometimes. Other times I might pack it in a section of a hard cardboard tube inside my pack with the reel off. Still other times if I am packing my fishcat float tube I can fit it inside the side pocket along with my fly boxes and other fishing gear. It packs down to about 14" or so, pretty compact. If I bring a larger rod it will be lashed outside the pack. Enjoy your travels.
  7. David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Cabelas is having a sale. Their 7 piece rod (can't remember the name right now) is usually $170 but its on sale for $120. I just ordered mine -- been wanting one for years.

A friend of mine who is an alpine-lake-ninja swears by his.
  8. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Agree! My pack rod for mountain trip. Yellow Fenwick 7' 5pc fiberglass.
    [IMG]
  9. Tyler Watters Stickin' pigs.

Gig Harbor, Washington
    I thought I would revive this one. C-Blade is right on. I just got my 7-piece "Stowaway" from Cabela's (on sale/lifetime warranty) and it is absolutely awesome. It casts better than just about all of my other rods that I spent twice as much on. It fits easily into my suitcase as well. Good thing because I'm on the road more than I am home. I just might get me one in all sizes.
  10. Rick Sharp Member

West Richland, WA 99353
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    this is my alpine lakes, high mountain streams outfit. It is a little big for packing but I just tie it on the side of my pack in the tube and go for it. It sticks up a little past my shoulders but never has posed any problems and I love it for the light weight action and finesse when dealing with the smaller natives. I made it from a Tonkin blank. It a 7'6" 4weight with the Ross C1 reel. Works great for me. (this actually the second one I'm putting together as you can see it's not finished, the first one is the garage, but you get the idea)
    Rick
  11. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
    Nice job Rick. Good lookin' stuff.:thumb: