Best inexpensive 9' 6wt 4 piece?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Hop, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Hop

Hop New Member

Hi,

I'm looking for a 9' 6wt 4 piece rod that could be used on Pudget Sound, small local lakes for carp, and also medium sized to large rivers for bows and browns. It needs to be very comfortable (good balance), with good line speed, precise, and able to fish dry flies if need be.
    Considering:
    Echo Solo ("new" 4 piece)
    Ross Essence FS (with full wells handle)
    Redington Pursuit
    ...?

Any advice?
    have a great weekend

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Don't forget the TFO's

3. Hop

Hop New Member

... and TFO Professional
    +St.Croix Imperial or Rio santo
    and Orvis Clearwater
    also the Winston Passport - more expensive
    Thanks again in advance for your advice!

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Redington Classic Trout.

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    That's asking a lot of a single six weight. Especially an inexpensive one.

Lots of good options. Certainly don't ignore TFO. Post a WTB ad in the classifieds with your budget and I'm sure you will find lots of options.

For me personally a rod that will do what I need from the beach will not be the ideal tool for dry flies and softer presentations by any means.

Be sure to check out the offerings of Allen fly fishing... a site sponsor with very reasonably priced gear.

All that said, I really enjoyed fishing a TFO ticrx before I upgraded to an XP 691. Lost the TFO a while back sadly. Its certainly not the tool for throwing dry flies but for some carp and beaches with wind and clousers it was fantastic.

6. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

I think Echo is one of the best things going out there right now and you will be hard pressed to beat their product for the same amount of money. They have first rate customer service too.

That Redington is a nice casting rod too, wouldn't go wrong with either one.

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    +1 with the Winston Passport a very close second. The Passport placed high in the George Anderson blind 5 weight shoot-out a couple years ago -- out performing $600+ rods. I recommended it to a friend who I help teach casting too on the lawn last summer. I was really liking the rod, had a very easy casting stroke and it was great looking.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Fl...X.SageVXP.StCroixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK.asp

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Hop,

I thought you said - inexpensive. Try a Cabela's Three Forks at $59 and see how much more you'd have to spend to out-perform it.

Sg

9. Hop

Hop New Member

About sea trout, an interesting link: http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/sea-trout-gear/
    It's not Pudget Sound, but the conditions seem very similar.

Salmo g, I got carried away ;) Let's say my budget goes as far as $150... but I'd surely like it to be less than that; I wonder if it's possible though.
    Still, even $200 would be considered affordable by most, compared to the $700 high end rods

10. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Interesting article. Just goes to show how much personal preference plays a role in our gear. Personally if I only had one rod for the beach it would be a fastish sixer. Found it interesting how against stripping baskets that author is. After fishing beaches for a year or so without a stripping basket I finally caved and bought a mesh one. Took a while to get used to it but once I did it was eye opening. No way I would ever go back to fishing without one. I recently upgraded to a hard plastic tote style so my original mesh basket from Allen fly fishing is collecting dust. Would let it go for the price of shipping if you need one.

11. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

I have an Echo Carbon 9', 5 weight. Very nice, and an excellent trout rod. The 6 weight should be about right for you. The beach is the only thing I'd wonder about. It's not a fast action rod, so big wind and/or big flies might be challenging. Depending on the size of your local carp, it would do everything else you want with ease. Now that I think about it, it would be an excellent 6 weight for dry flies.

12. teerex

teerex Member

My TFO Pro 6 wt has been a great rod for me; I believe it's the only one mentioned not made in a Communist country, if you care about that. Great feel and power; I can double haul a wf floating line to the backing with ease.

13. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

6 wt. and Carp don't compute very well.

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Allen Fly Fishing rods are built in South Korea which is definitely not a Communist country.

15. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

Great suggestions have already been made---also consider "The Fly Shop" H2O and GH2O.

16. Hop

Hop New Member

Thanks to all of you for your advice and messages +
    I now have plenty of choice and all I have to do is make a decision ;)
    I've even found a second hand TFO Ticr 6wt advertised. Might be a bit too fast for me...

17. Yakfish

Yakfish Dad, Angler, Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm a big fan of the LL Bean Streamlight Ultra 9 ft. 6 weight combos. These are a great rod for the money! You can likely pick up the rod and reel, plus rod and reel travel case for less than other rods purchased alone. I've used this rod with cleints, friends, for fisheries work, and plenty on the water and it's great, seriously.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68702?feat=70537-ppodxs&dds=y