Best Intructional Book out there?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Jeff Hale, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Media:
    I am going to try and build my first rod on a glass Fenwick blank, a six weight I think, 8 footer, keeping it at one piece at the recommenation of my brothers (and sisters) of the angle. What is your favorite, most detailed, easily understandable, well illustrated book for the first-timer? All opinions welcome. Thanks in advance for your help. This site has been great. Jeff

2. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    I've got the Dale Clements book and it's pretty good. It's available online for around $25 or so used.

I also had the Art Scheck book called Fly Rod Building Made Easy

Either are fine, but the Scheck book is easier to read and provides easier instructions. The Clements book is far more comprehensive, but is harder to read.

Please be aware that *NEITHER* of the books are correct on the following 2 topics

1) Don't worry about spine. It's a pain in the ass to do for the beginner, and it *really* doesn't affect a whole lot. There's a longer disertation on this available, but that's for another time!

2) DO NOT use coarse sandpaper to do surface preparation. Instead, go and buy some of the cheapy plastic 3M steel wool substitute. The finer the better, but the '00' replacement is fine. Just rub the surface until it looses all it's glossiness and it'll be ready to go.

Also, I'd suggest that you poke around the www.rodbuilding.org site. Lotsa good info, and lots to read.

If you have any questions feel free to ping me :)

-- Cheers
    -- James

3. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    I haven't used a book, so I apologize if this isn't the exact answer you asked for. However, I printed off all the articles by Al Cambell on another web site. They helped me and have pretty detailed pics, it was free. I am not sure how they would compare to other books. So that might be something you want to look at. PM me if you want the site. I have also heard good things about both books James recommended. Tom Kirkland's book is supposed to be pretty detailed about all aspects of custum rod building, not just fly rods. You can find it on the rodbuilding.org web site that James gave you. It really is a great site.
    It is a great hobby! I have a lot of fun with it, I hope you do as well.
    Mike

4. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    The book by Art Sheck is great. That's the one I've used in the past. Check out online sites as well. Nothing is particular difficult about the process, just take your time. It's fun if you're not in a hurry.

Wayne

5. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:
    My favorite: HANDCRAFTING A GRAPHITE FLY ROD. by L. A. Garcia

6. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sounds like fun. Don't think I've ever seen an 8ft one piece rod case before, guess you'll need to make one of those too?
    A one piece 8 footer may be a bit of trouble transporting sometimes, and you may want a case to protect it.

Good luck, we'll expect to see some pic's.

LB

7. FT

FT Active Member

Tom Kirkman, the fellow who publishes and edits ROD BUILDER magazine and runs the rodbuilding.org site has recently had his excellent book on rod building published. It and the now out or print Dale Clemens books are the best available IMO. That said, the Garcia and Sheck books mentioned previously are entirely serviceable, as is the one by Bill Marts and the Flex Coat guide to rod building.