Best Jumping Steelhead video yet!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Peter Pancho, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:

Best Steelhead Jumping video yet. I counted 15 jumps. " Too bad it was hooked in the ... " bawling:

2. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

I only counted 14 1/2 jumps, not impressed:rofl: What a fun fish! Too bad it had to become dinner. Ya think he would of had to fight that fish longer on a fly rod? Seems he brought that guy in kinda quick for how energetic it was.

David

3. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Most of those bright hot fish come in quick because they tire themselves out due to how hard they fight. I think it would have been a similar fight on a fly rod.

4. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Its rare to see a catch and release "gear-chucker" from the 70's. Nice to hear he was convicted and felt bad after the fact...

5. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    BS. Dude was using 20lb line on a bait casting rod. Meat fisherman don't mess around. If they can skip the fish accross the surface and have it up on the bank in 3 seconds they'll do it.

The fish was a cookie cutter 8lber but fresh and hot as heck. A 6 to 8wt rod and 8 to 12lb tippet would have had a much more challenging time. But even still, you shouldn't stretch out the fight it you don't have to.

Stick around a bit longer on the westside and you'll soon realize how much fight a fresh chomer really has in it :thumb:

6. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

This has been my favorite video for a LONG time.

It is in my IE favorites at work and I watch it at least once a week and it always gets my blood flowing.

I have hooked 1 fish like that in my life (Super jumper) and it was my VERY first steelhead when I was fourteen, I can't wait to do it again. That fish nearly took my rod out of my hands.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL Chad. Go watch the video again or you've never fished a bait casting rod. That was a spinning rod, sounded like an old mitchell (probably new then) on it. No way he was running 20# and casting his setup on a spinning reel that size back then (I know, I was using them back then). I'd run 15-20# on my baitcasters, but 10-12# on my spinning rods. Most of the others did too. Probably running 12# on a then new glass rod (rarely saw a graphite rod back then, especially in gear guys hands). I didn't see any baitboxes either, so I'd say he was probably using a drift setup only, no bait/scent at all (again, you were hard pressed to see a bait guy back in 78' without bait boxes). I'd say he was drifting an okie or corkie yarn setup or possiby. I couldn't get a close enough look, but looked like he probably may have had a spinner/spoon on. Looked like he may have been doing some retrieving while it was drifting along. But only reason it may look like he was using heavier line because of the bend in the rod when he picked the fish up. Those glass rods could protect some lighter lines (why they had such a monster range, my old mooching rods could handle 8-30# test per manufacturer ratings).

But it's a great video. Plus, you can tell he was pretty open about not keeping it (since this was shot in 1978). Knew alot of guys who just liked to fish, but hated eating them. So would only cast spinners or spoons.

I haven't had a ton of runs like that, but I have had several. My most memorable was actually a king HEN! She was mint bright, and way she was fighting I thought it was a buck that was foul hooked. Only thing that was odd I could feel the head shake. I literally had to open up my spinning rod (was floating jigs for winterruns) because I was running out of line and fish was still going strong. Luckily, gamble worked and fish turned around and headed back up river. But I got at least 10 big jumps as it was screaming line off. When I finally got the fish in, I had it fair hooked up in the mouth and it was a hen full of eggs. Which is really odd, since most hens give only a couple good runs and come in.

Oh, and a flyrod back then, wooohooooo. Talk about beating YOU up. Fun as hell. Still have my first fly rod from around that time. My first steelhead was about same size on a flyrod, and it was pure delight (and struggle). Those glass rods would bend. Still use it occasionally, may even bring it to the OP event. I know Sue (Freestone) love fishing with it for a bit. Just when you set the hook, watch the rod dance. :)

8. Zen Piscator

Media:
    Home Page:
    I call bullshit on your logic chad- how many chrome steelhead have you fought? I've never had a fight with a bright fish that has been over 10 minutes but I have had some of the most wild 4 minute fights ever. On the _____________ river in december I fought a chrome winter hen 12-14lbs that gave me 5 or 6 jumps in the first 30 seconds of the fight, ripped me up and down both banks, left the pool upstream, came back, jumped onto the far bank, then crushed hard into a root ball. I waded over and worked the fish free. It was tired and up on the surface about to be tailed when I slipped, lost my footing, and messed up the tailing job. The fish shook its head, breaking 15lb pline and the tip of my 9wt. The point was the fight was only 2 minutes long and if I had a net or someone below me the fish was landed. It was also probably 2 days out of the ocean and wild. This for me has been a typical fight for bright fish. Summers too, most bright fish will have crazy antics but not too much stamina. Darker fish from my experience will pull for longer and in some cases very hard but rarely do they jump or make fast runs. I'd rather fight the bright fish any day.

9. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Andy, if you are spending more than 10 mins on those eastside spawners, you need to work on your fighting\landing technique...

10. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Chad, have you ever fished for steelhead east of the mountains? How many have you caught over there? You sound like an expert.

11. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    It's pretty rare that I have a chromer take more than five minutes, especially if they're jumping a lot. Maybe OP fish pull harder than the chromers on our tribs down here?

12. Zen Piscator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Chad you have clearly never fought an larger east side steelhead that has been in the system for a while. Most of the fish over 10 pounds take much longer to land than a chrome fish of the same size range. However the fight is much less hectic than a bright fish. This is a stupid argument. I have landed over 1,000 east-side steelhead fish and thus am pretty damn sure I know how they act like on the line. I've also fought enough bright fish, east and west, to know how they differ. Stop polluting man.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, I'll say this. Chromers can fight longer if they're bigger. I've caught quite a few steelhead in the 20+ range (biggest being 27#). Not all on the fly mind you, only a few of those on the fly. But a bigger fish will make you fight longer, and they're like big kings at that point, they just bury down and fight. Only the smaller ones do the flips (though I have had a couple big steelhead give me a show, not anything like the video though). But I mostly grew up fishing the Puyallup/Green, OP, and Chehalis System in GH. Lots of bigger fish come out of there (but I know they used to have tons of them down in SW WA while I was growing up). A darker fish will just dive down and work you. I've found they'll fight more by moving back and forth, where the chromers start tailwalking. Of course, this wears them out. If you have a big enough stick, and you're sticking it to them at the same time, they'll tire out quickly. And yes, I've caught steelhead on both East and West sides, and agree with Zen. They are beasts. Just no pizzaz, just strength. Now, if you're talking an old boot salmon I'd agree on the lack of fight (to an extent, depending on the fish).

14. Zen Piscator

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've got to say boot chinook caught while targeting bulls on some oregon tribs (all legal for bull fishing) have been the worst fighting big fish I've ever caught. They tire fast which is good so I don't have to mess with them any longer than I have to. They eat like no other and often will grab a bull fly swung through the deeper pools.

15. Mark Bové

Mark Bové Chasin tail

Media:
    Home Page:
    Here is my take on steelhead fights. I landed a dime bright skeena hen two augusts ago 22 miles from the salt in tide water. The fish took 5 minutes to land. She jumped a few times, ran upstream and then played dead. The same day I was spooled by a 15 pound coho. Go figure. I have had steehead in the twenty pound range on the same section on river put an absolute gong show on. One particular fish jumpd 5 times directly up stream into my backing then run downstream past the impassible side channel, leaving me with two wraps of backing while I screamed at my helpless guide to bring the jet boat... All went slack... tears did fall. That being said if you want to land clearwater fish you have to fight them for a while. I tried this year to put them in the net in under 5 minutes, but I would break 12 pound pline or pull hooks every time... Ask anyone who was there two weeks ago when I went 6 for 25. The one Thompson river hen I caught two Novembers ago was among the harder fighting fish I have caught (what is the T like a couple 4-5hundred miles from the salt?). She was a hot fish, but backing didnt show itself. The fact is most are absolutly ignorant of what steelhead are like. Skagit fish are supposed to be some of the hardest fighting fish in the world. Every fish I have caught never saw backing and were beat in a few minutes. I all depends on where you hook them. Stop hating on people who fish Chadk. I see you put a fish or two on the bank a year... nice work, but you are far from being a well traveled exspert.

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Funny you mentioned boot kings. I remember about 10 years ago I was flyfishing for steelhead. Was well at the tail end of the salmon season, well after it closed on the coastal rivers. I hooked in to a pretty big king that was super spawned off. He didn't fight very well, but what grossed me out was getting him to hand. He looked like a swimming corpse, half the flesh gone, only one eye, and scales that were there were a whitish color (most was down to flesh and no skin/scales at all). I remember thinking "I don't need the fly back that bad" and snapped it off. King was probably about 25#'s, but fought like it was maybe 6#.

17. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Mark, I think most hens (except for that one exception I listed) are beat pretty quick from carrying that extra weight. Those bloated bellies full of eggs takes alot to move I assume. Even big fresh king hens usually come to the boat pretty quick that have tight skeins in them.

Man, why'd you talk about the Skeena??? It's been awhile since I've been up there, been wanting to go back (last trip was about 6 years ago). Mmmmmmmm, may have to sweet talk my wife into making the trip (she loves to fish as well). I got her into her first steelhead a couple years ago and she's hooked (got her into alot of salmon on gear and fly about 10 years ago, but steelhead only recently).

18. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Sorry Mark, didn't mean to sound like I was hating on your girlfriend and your eastside steelies - just yanking zen's chain a little... As he admitted, a westside chromer fight is much more exciting than a eastside fish on the spawning grounds ;)

19. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Steelhead are pussy rainbow trout, too scared to live all year long in a river so they go hide in the vast waters of the salt. Stupid Steelhead, No Egg pattern for you!

SAK
    Maybe 3 or 4