Best non-tacky resin??

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by james.jimenez, Sep 24, 2013.

1. I currently use two types of UV resin when tying flies. UV activated wader resin and clear goo. I like using them both in small amounts on my shell backs and when tying SRC pattern for the sound. But I always find that both even after curing are a little tacky... Does anyone have any suggestions on a resin that cures HARD with out being tacky? I am only asking cause I would like to tie some nymphs with a shelled back and soft hackle legs without them getting stuck to the resin..

2. Contact board member silvercreek.
    He sells a UV cure that actually dries tack free. Something many brands promise but fail to deliver. I bought his high power light as well which makes curing fast and easy.
    I've been using it all summer on my beach clousers and it stands up well to getting wacked on the beach.
    I've used Loon and CCG but won't be any longer.

You can also coat the Loon or CCG with Hard as Nails which is what I did in the past.
    SF

3. My resin is NOT the UV POLYESTER EPOXY resin refered to in the prior post. It is a UV ACRYLIC resin just like CCG, but it is resistant to oxygen inhibition which is the cause of the tackiness.

There are two types of UV resins.

Acrylic UV resins require a certain amount of UV at the correct wavelength to cure completely and the polymerization can be blocked by oxygen. Because the polymerization is driven by UV, you can determine how fast the resin will cure by turning off the UV. You can add, remove or modify the resin shape during polymerization. In this acrylic polymerization UV drives polymerization, much like heat drives baking a cake. Remove the heat, and the cake does not set up.

Epoxy UV resins are driven by UV as a CATALYST. Once UV starts the polymerization, it cannot be stopped. If you notice a mistake after you hit the UV epoxy with UV, you are scr*wed. That is why none of the UV resins for tying are UV epoxy.

If you read the Solarez product label in the earlier post, it is a UV epoxy.

Irafly likes this.
  4. cool,
    Its confusing because they say "Cures by either UV-light or by addition of MEKP catalyst. Water-clear, UV-stable and cures with a bone dry surface."

On their website they claim that "un-cured resin can be re-used without waste." and "no catalyst no rush." claiming that this resin can be worked for a lengthy period of time until cured with UV light source.
    There is also a polyester resin. I wonder how that works?

They have re-packaged their resin for the fly fishing market.
    http://solarez.com/productsnew/zerovoc_pint.html

I thought there must be major difference between UV epoxy vs acrylic resins, and polyester resin, now I'm more confused. I need more clarification.

5. Polyester UV resins are less durable and cheaper than the acrylic UV resins used for fly tying. The difficulty for me was to find a resin cheap enough with the fast and complete cure that I could use for fly tying.

A tying resin needs to cure in a reasonable time with the lower power of a UV flashlight and has to cure tack free. This is not an easy thing to do since the major player in supplying fly tyers has failed to do what I have done. If you want to try, google "What do you need to make UV-curing resins?"

6. Do you have a website?

7. No.

I had no plans to sell it. I retired from medicine at age 55, back in 1999. It was for my personal use when CCG just didn't cure right. My undergraduate major at Stanford was chemistry and medical science. So I read up on the resin chemistry. It seemed like a fun project to tackle.

I started selling it when other fly tyers began asking me to get it for them, and then they started to recommend it. Then fly shop owners bought test bottles from me and wanted to carry it under their own brand.

PM me with your private email and I will get back to you. I am away on a trip and I get back in a couple of days.

8. get the resin from silvercreek. it cures as he says it does, tack free!

or the misfit brand from lunds fly shop. same product

9. PM sent..

10. I came across UV resin for the medical industry. expensive stuff.

11. I might have to jump on the silvercreek bandwagon too. I really don't like that CCG tack free really isn't. More like "quite a bit less tacky but not quite there". Which is too bad because it's a good product with lots of support and a lot of selection. But even new batteries in the light can't make it truly tack free! I've done some research and apparently if your light is powerful enough any of it can be tack free. I have several CCG products and haven't come close to using it all, so that might be a better solution for me in the short term. Finding a new light though....

12. Here's a review by a well known personal friend, but Gary would not risk his reputation if my resin didn't cure tack free.

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

Irafly likes this.
  13. Re: silver's Crystal UV Coat

I'm curious (1) how does the viscosity compare with other products on the market?...and (2) what is the product's shelf life?

14. Shelf life is years if kept sealed and stored at room temperature.

Other users can comment on viscosity, but I describe it as like Sally Hansen's.

15. Can your product be shipped to Canada silvercreek ?

16. I do not ship out of the USA. I have several Canadian customers but they have a US address that they use.

17. Ok , thanks for the reply .

18. Thank you for the reply as well.