Best pants / shoes for wading

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by MarkS, Jun 20, 2012.

1. MarkS

MarkS some guy

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I was just thinking about the same question. Do folks just wear their wading boots with a pair of neoprene socks, or some special wet wading shoes?

3. dcslick

dcslick Member

Media:
  4. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I usually wear quick dry nylon shorts wet wading in the summer. But if you want pants, I think I got mine from LL Bean. Also light weight nylon that dry fast and have a built-in bug repellent.

I found some light weight sneaker type wading shoes on close out a couple of years ago that work great. But if I need felt and/or studs I use neoprene socks and my wading boots. I wear a light polypro sock under the neoprene.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Good Call Mr. Call. I pretty much do the same. Cargo convertible pants for the shorts/pants versatility. I like my smaller wading boots and wool or neoprene socks.

6. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I use Smartwool socks then neoprene wading socks under my normal wading boots. Buzz Off clothing works well for repelling mosquitoes and drying quickly. The Ex-Officio company store across from Bellevue Square frequently has deals on this clothing. I have some zip off Buzz Off pants that I like as wading shorts and I can zip the legs on if the bugs are bad. Rick

bennysbuddy likes this.
  7. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

When it's really hot and not too brushy where I'm fishing, I just use a pair of felt-soled wading sandals from Simms and a pair of shorts.

When it's brushy and maybe rattlesnakey, I use full-length nylon hiking pants (the cheap kind that don't have a water-repellant finish b/c I want maximum breathability), neoprene socks, knee-high snake gaiters (worn over the top of the pants), and my usual wading boots. I add a thick insole to the boots to make them fit correctly because the neoprene sock doesn't take up as much volume as waders + thick wool socks that I wear most of the year.

8. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    When I was backpacking into a wilderness area and really didn't want to lug tons of stuff, I'd take old running shoes and glue some strips of dense felt onto the soles with barge cement. That and some neoprene sox, with a pair of those zip-off legged pants, the ones that convert to shorts? If the pants had a nylon brief sewn into them, that was just another thing I didn't need to pack. Usually got myself down to around 25lbs for a weekend's trip.

9. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    I've worn everything you can think of from tennis shoes, Teva and Chaco sandals, Crocs to light wading boots, rubber knee high boots, etc. I find that with anything less than my normal boots, I have to excerise too much care while wading. After slipping, sliding, plus foot and ankle injuries, I almost always just wear regular wading boots now with neoprene socks like Rick along with quick dry pants. If the water is really cold but the weather hot, I wear taller neoprene socks. Chota just introduced a cool Goretex sock (with neo foot) that converts from a below the knee to an over the knee to hip waders. I might have to try a pair as there are many occasions when I want just a little more....

10. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    I'm curious why you all wear the neoprene socks for wet wading? Is it just for thickness so your boots fit properly? I've always just worn a pair of thick winter smartwool socks, my regular wading boots and shorts. Haven't had issue yet, although I mostly just mess around on small streams where it's not challenging wading.

11. Freestone

Media:
    For me, it is for warmth in cold streams plus neoprene doesn't get water-logged and heavy. I have a pair of regular wading boots that are a size smaller for summer so I can wear them with thin neo or regular socks but I prefer neoprene.

12. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

It's fit for me. If your boots fit well with your regular gore tex waders, with socks and the sock foot neoprene, then to get the same fit wet wading you need the neoprene socks, otherwise the boots will be loose and that is NOT good! Rick

13. Craig Hardt

Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Media:
    Where did you find the taller socks? Froze my legs last summer on the Entiat and wished for these!

I see a few listed online but a store would be great so I could try them on.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Tennies, shorts and cotton socks. Here in Montana in the summer time. Need I say anymore.

15. Freestone

Media:
    I've had mine for years but I got them at REI. They are Chota brand but it doesn't look like they make them any more. However, the new Goretex convertible socks/hippers looked really awesome when I saw them last summer. http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/

16. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

[​IMG]

Classy camo right here. Breathes well, fish won't see you coming... just use barbless and try not to hook yourself...

no pants... as for shoes (and the only serious part in this reply), I wear my wading boots and Simms gravel guard wet wading neoprene socks. If it's really nice/and I don't have much trail whacking to do, I will throw on my old Simms (Keen made) sandals with Felt bottoms. I don't like them when I'm hiking in though because of the dirt/rocks that get into the sandal. Not comfy for long hiking.

17. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

18. Freestone

Media:
    Bruce, thanks for the link but the knee-high, tall neoprene socks that they used to make are not listed, only the shorter built-in gaiter socks and others, including the new one. I have these also, 2 pairs actually (one pair in brown, one in black - hey, a girl's got to match!) and in a pinch, I pull the gaitor portion up but it is still not as high as the old knee-highs.

19. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

..... the perfect summer wading outfit - knee high neoprenes and a kilt!

(Alex, are you listening?)

Patrick Gould and aplTyler like this.
  20. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Tyler, you are uninvited from my boat if you even pack that nut-hugger for a float trip.

Patrick Gould and aplTyler like this.