Best Pontoon under 1200.00?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Flyfishsteel, Jan 11, 2006.

1. MrP

MrP Member

Media:
    Ditto the Watermaster or Waterstrider. Every decision depends on how you are going to use the gear but I would suggest, as Zen did, the WM is way the heck more portable.

2. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

The WMs do look nice, but with only a 3 yr warranty at 1050.00 dollars? You should get at least a 5 yr warranty, let alone a 10 yr warranty for something over a grand....:confused:

3. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

check out the archives for watermasters. i have 2 of them and would not trade either for any pontoon. mike w

4. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I would recommend taking your friend to The Fly Show in Bellevue this February. All the companies will be there and you can see for yourself the different boating options.

I am looking for a river capable craft myself and it looks like I will be getting a watermaster with the hard seat and anchor.

jason

5. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    I have to say go with the Watermaster. I have one of the old Tote n Floats. Without a doubt the best feature is when you float and see that tasty spot all you have to do is stand and the boat will just rotate around you. Fish the spot and get back in your boat.

6. Rick Phelps

Rick Phelps Member

I know what you are saying and I could add a few more horror stories to what you have said. I wish I would have bought the Outcast instead.:mad: :mad:

7. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Actually, Outcast produced Scaddens boats, until he went with a different company in Utah. He's not the smartest buisnessman

8. trtslayer

trtslayer New Member

take a look at the outdoor discovery craft (odc 915) made by creek company. Comes with everything to get started, has 9ft pontoons, hefty oars, fins, a sturdy frame, a good pump, and an aluminum cargo deck with a motor mount. I bought one last year and I am really happy with the quality of mine. the best part about it is that you can get a 2004 model which is the same as the 2005 model except for the seat. I paid the company I bought it from an extra 30$ i think to send a swivel, padded, bucket seat that fit the frame perfectly. I advise springing for the seat if you decide to get it because the seat it comes with looks uncomfortable.

the 2005 model is 600$ and the 2004 is only 400$ the price makes it sound cheap but it is a quality boat not flimsy at all!

I bought mine from this company over the internet although I called when I ordered to make sure I got the seat;)

http://www.outdrs.com/xcart/catalog/Creek-Company-ODC-915-2004-Model-p-16686.html

here is the link to creek co. page with the 2005 model
    http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdisplay.php?primaryAutoID=66&Department=Pontoon+Boats

trt

9. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Media:
    Outcast, Buck's Bags, Waterskeeter, and Creek Company are not in the same class as Skookum. For boats that are on the same level as Skookum (and at more reasonable prices) look at Xstream, BadCat, Black Bear, and WaterReady.

10. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

From the looks of it, Outcast boats are 1 step down from Skookums, and everything else that has a bladder is 2 steps down from Skookum. I've seen the Bucks Bags, and imo the frames and welds are below the Outcast.

BB South fork and Xtreme models use a smaller diameter tube and welds are below the qulaity of the Outcast. I do like the fact of Stainless steel though, like the Steelheader. Other than that, Bucks Bags do not touch the quality of Outcasts.

Outcasts imo are the BEST 14 mil Polyurathane bladder type Pontoons in the world!:ray1:

11. jj

jj New Member

I have been using the Waterskeeter River Guide. It offers the option of a standing platform, which I enjoy. I paid about $700.00 plus tax at Cabelas when they first listed it. I ordered it before they changed the price. It is now listing at about $900.00.

check out

Waterskeeter.com
    Cabelas.com

12. Rick Phelps

Rick Phelps Member

Well, my boat is made after that split. I have most everything worked out on it now with some of the exceptions you mentioned. Quality is a real problem and they do need to change things with them.
    Rick

13. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

if it keeps raining they can show boats in the parking lot. mike w

14. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Do those Skookum's go for under $1,200?

15. TimHarden

TimHarden New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm a big fan of the Fish Cat from Outcast.

Tim Harden:thumb:

16. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

I have the price list for the Skookums. No boat under 1400.00. Now the Osprey(alum) and Steelheader(ss) are the same price due to prices of oil went up per a long conversation with the owner...

17. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Media:
    The Skookums are not under $1200 but some of the other boats I listed as being in the same class are.

18. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

Media:
    Don't get me wrong, but the price point was $1200 or less, Skookum definately is not in this price range. The Skookum(Steelheader) is one fine boat, hands down the most capable of pontoons, but hardly affordable to most people. The Xstream is about $1100 or so, depends on your negotiating skills with Sos, and is very capable in it's own right. It's frame, however, is just vanilla overseas quality. Decide on what type of water you will fish, make a list of wants, and go to the sportsmen's show and look at as many boats as you can, that's what I'll be doing next week.

19. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Regarding the Watermaster rafts, I was curious so I read the reviews on WFF. The one thing that concerned me most about the reviews was that guys who are not real tall metioned that the foot rests did not adjust close enough for optimum comfort. Well, I'm no giant at 5'7" so this is definitely of concern to me. So I sent an inquiry to the folks at Watermaster, and received a very prompt reply from the production manager, Rich Stuber. He assured me that they can build a custom raft that fits, based on my inseam. I didn't ask what the added cost would be, but for those that are pondering one of these boats, they are a small enough company to offer customization. And they're offering 10% off raft packages through the end of the month! Unfortunately I won't be ready to make a decision by then, but I am definitely going to consider one of these boats. I was already trying to decide between a float tube and a pontoon boat, and these rafts seem like the ticket.

20. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

This 10% discount, is it only if you add-on accessories or just the boat? I just got a complimentary Watermaster dvd last night and watched it and it was awesome. They also sent me a price list and their pvc boat small samples. The 34 oz pvc they use on the entire boat is super durable, much tougher than the bottoms of the Pac series which use 32 oz on their bottoms.

Now Skookums are a dif story at 150 OZ PVC seams & skid plates - 100 oz tops UV protect 3800/5500 denier, thats some incredibly strong stuff!!! Sotar tubes I believe are equivelant if not stronger, but the money for those are waaaay beyond my pocket.

I wonder why the Water master is ONLY a 3 yr warranty? I'm going to let my buddy borrow the dvd and will probably encourage him to get one of these especially if they are 10% til the end of the month. Thanks!