BEST RAFT FOR FLY FISHING

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by hnaymd, Dec 28, 2008.

1. hnaymd hnaymd

benton,arkansas
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    OK guys i am knew to this forum. I am looking to buy a raft when i move to new mexico. I have been looking at maravia, NRS, and aire. SO have at it what is the best raft for fly fishing? has to be a raft though, not looking to get a cataraft, or pontoon.
    Heath :beer2:
  2. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Sotar, Maravia, NRS, Aire, Avon. There are a bunch of good ones. There are a few rafting forums that you can browse for insight on the various brands, materials, repair, service etc. Personally, I'd be happy with any of the above.
  3. surfnsully Active Member

Happy Valley, OR
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Don't forget Achilles rafts. Great material and there is a local distributor in the Portland area.
  4. Jon Bial Chasing the Magic

Oregon
  5. Bullwhacker Member

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Sotar, small tube diameter, diminishing tubes and well made. The perfect fishing raft, IMO. Put an NRS frame on it and you will be happy.
  6. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +345 / 3
    I have a Sotar 14' raft with a NRS frame it is the one in my avatar and if you look in my gallery pics you will see it set up with the complete frame.
    It is a great boat.
    Blessings
    jesse clark
  7. hnaymd hnaymd

benton,arkansas
    Jon,
    OUCH! Saw the pics, cool pic of the fish jumping though. I have been looking at the maravia ranger, is that the same as the spider? I can not seem to find a model called the spider.
    heath
  8. hnaymd hnaymd

benton,arkansas
    jesse,
    Is the boat with the dog the sotar you are talking about? can you give me specs on that boat? Thanks
    heath
  9. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +345 / 3
    The pic in my gallery with the dog is the Sotar. It is 14' has 20" diminishing tubes and a self bailing floor. The boat is called an Elite if you go to Sotars website you can get more info. The Frame is a NRS fishing frame go to the NRS site and you will see lots of details about it.
    Blessings
    jesse
  10. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +660 / 5
    I haven't shopped rafts in awhile. But if you want a fishing raft, go for an outfitter series raft. Usually a flatter waterline. Giving you more stability for standing and fishing. Get too much rocker in your hull (too much rake front and back) you will be a bit tipsy. It sucks, but no such thing as a perfect boat. You'll be more responsive with some of the more rocker hulled models. But you trade off how well they sit. I do remember a company who made a raft that had a cataraft type hull. Can't remember who it was, but was pretty sweet. Had a long hull, but still had the curved bow to bite through runs. Not sure if it ever made full production or not.

I always like the Maravia rafts. Used quite a few of them before I got into catarafts. Still wouldn't mind another one. Mostly for fishing.
  11. ReelFlyBro Team Short Bus

Montucky
    Best bang for the buck imo is an Aire. Great quality rafts. 14 footer rows and fishes great if equipped properly
  12. Jon Bial Chasing the Magic

Oregon
    Heath,

The Spider is a little smaller than the Ranger and going to handle a little easier. Rafts are clearly not like driftboats, and you won't be pulling plugs, but I love my boat and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

http://www.maravia.com/frames/main.cfm?page=casraft

best of luck!

Jon