"Best" Rod Co. WARRANTIES

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by siksika, Feb 16, 2004.

1. siksika

siksika New Member

Hey all,

I happened to be over in Missoula for the weekend, and took the opportunity to peruse some of their fly shops--mainly to check out rods.

One factor which will come up for my decision on buying a rod will be warranty options. I checked out some Sage, GLoomis, Orvis, Reddington(aka Sage), and St. Croix "mid level" rods. I didn't know that w/ some warranties you had to pay to get a replacement; i.e. w/ GLoomis, for $50, you get a completely new rod sent to you within 2-days (then you send them your damaged one back) for every rod damaged. I think some of the other companies require you to send in the damaged rod and then they will later send you your repaired rod or a new one later (not sure how long this would take).

What would be the best option?

For the last year I have been using an "el cheapo" rod which has provided much fun, but it already has cracks around the ferrules, and one of the line guides is damaged.

Have any of you needed to utilize the warranty option for your rod? how was the service? Does any company have "the best" warranty coverage?

c.

2. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Warranties are nice, but I wouldn't get too hung up on it. As long as you take care of your rod, you should never need to use it. Manufacturing defects are another story, but fall into a different category than "unconditional" warranties.

What started out as a nice gesture by the rod companies has resulted in a lot of lazy anglers who don't take care of their gear. I can't think of any other product that offered a "slam it in your car door and we'll fix it" warranty. It's no wonder so many people abused it. Could you imagine what the guy at Circuit City would tell you if you said you accidentally threw a brick through your tv and wanted a new one for free?

If the no-questions-asked warranty do end up going the way of the dodo, you can thank those guys who send 2 or 3 rods in per year for warranty replacement.

3. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I've utilized Sage, GLoomis, and St Croix warrantees in the last few years. They are all about the same - plus or minus 10-20 bucks. For obvious manufacturer defects, they will replace the rod for free and usually cover shipping both ways. For accidents, you pay shipping both ways and often a nominal replacement fee.

On my latest mis-hap, I just took my rod to Creekside (where I bought my rod), and they will ship it to Sage for me and call me in a week or 2 when the new one is back. They charge $30 - but I'm sure I could have saved some money if I just shipped it myself...

Some of the 'el ceapo' rods are offering decent warrantees now days as well. Also, if you are accident prone like I seem to be, buying a cheap rod every other year will still probably be cheaper than buyer a high end rod \ expensive brand rod - and you don't have to feel guilty about abusing the warranty programs...

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Rod warranties

alpinetrout's right about unconditional rod warranties disappearing. Actually they already have when you factor in the 'handling' costs most makers now charge. Fact is, none of us should mind paying for our mistakes instead of naively insisting that the manufacturer should eat the cost. The repair costs they suck up end up coming right back to us in the form of increased costs for new rods.

I don't mind the cost so much as the time the repair/replacement takes. I had the tip on a Loomis Trilogy 10ft 7wt break while playing a coho in Alaska a couple years ago. When I got back, I sent the rod to Loomis via UPS on a Monday and got a brand new one back on Friday. And no, I didn't pay $50 for Express Replacement, although it was an option. Now that's service.

OTOH, that same October, a friend broke the tip of my T&T Horizon while we were fishing at Chopaka. Besides the shipping cost, T&T charged me a $20 handling fee. Plus the fix took nearly two months.

Rods break. Plan accordingly by taking care how you treat them and keep about $50 in a savings account to cover shipping and handling.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I like the service from Gloomis. I broke a rod stringing it up,called GLoomis and had a new and better rod in two days. My old rod was about 10 years old give or take a year. Whats $50.00 compared to two to three weeks or two months or so. I had a St Croix,sent it in where it was bought at and it took over six weeks. No I like the two days service.

Jim

6. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    The only warranty I've ever had to utilize was on my Loomis GL3 that I left on top of my car on Kodiak Island and drove away. I realized my mistake after 1/4 mile and went back to find it missing the top 6" and not coming apart at the furrel. I did the 'expiditor' service ($50) when I got home, got my new rod in about a week. I worked at a shop in Kodiak and we sent a lot of rods back to major manufacturers . . .they always took 2 weeks at least. I like the GLoomis service!

Rod

7. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    New River Mike

First, I agree with the point made by others that there are (paraphrasing) no free lunches and that we shouldn't expect (or believe) that we can manhandle our stuff and get it taken care of indefinitely.

As far as specifics go, I only have "warranty" experience with Loomis but it was impressive. My first rod was a Loomis purchased off eBay. About eight months later, the threaded reel seat ring (which was plastic) cracked. I don't know how and certainly can't rule out my own stupidity or carelessness.

I called Loomis to see if I could get a replacement part and was told about the $50.00 Xpeditor service mentioned by others. It didn't matter that I was not the original owner and had no warranty paperwork - they took it in anyway, in exchange for a new GL2 (which was the newer version of my rod).

Even factoring in the purchase price from eBay I came out ahead. I was very impressed...

:thumb

8. dmoocher

dmoocher Member

I've had both a battenkill reel and a clearwater flyrod replaced by Orvis at no charge...but it tooks 4 - 6 weeks!

The suffering-while-waiting isn't worth me buying another Orvis product.

9. jamesf01

jamesf01 New Member

Friend had a sage Broke 6" off tip in car door took it to sage on Bainbridge Is. (we live close in Kitsap County)they aske him what happened and he told them they went in back and came out and gave him a new rod no cost. He now only buys Sage.

10. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

my grandson was using my glx 10 ft. 7 wt. on the ronde when he fell down making the 2 piece rod into a 3 piece. he sent it from spokane on monday and had it back by thursday of the same week. it cost $50 plus ship one way.

11. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Rod warranties

For got to mention that rod manufacturer's repair services are quite seasonal. Rods usually break when people are out fishing with them. People are usually out fishing when weather and water cooperate. This means that repair requests most often increase in late spring and summer before starting to taper off in early fall. By late fall and winter, the number of repairs drops off as people who broke rods have mostly already sent them in. So I guess if you're gonna break a rod, plan on doing it from November through January.

12. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Here is a recent example

My old man busted his rod last weekend. I took it to the shop for him on monday, they shipped it from Spokane on tuesday to Redington in Seattle. We had a brand new rod on thursday. That is the most amazing turn around I have ever seen!! Now Orvis was a different story. They took about a month to replace a rod...not a big deal but nothing compared to one day turn around from redington...and they sent a whole new "upgraded" model :thumb

~Patrick ><>

13. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    Here is a recent example

Luv2fly2
    If you ever have to utilize your Loomis warranty again, make sure to use the "call tag" that is provided with your replacement rod. This is a pre-paid UPS shipping label that you can send your broken rod back with. The total price for a rod replacement that way is $50. If you have any questions about this or any other element of the warranty contact G-Loomis at 1-800-GLOOMIS.
    Anil
    Puget Sound Fly Company

14. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

Here is a recent example

anil, thanx, i was not aware of that. i just hope it never happens again. what a sick feeling that you are done fishing until you get back to camp. luck would have it we were hole jumping and not floating as we usually float to schumaker which takes all day.

15. h2oOOZLE

h2oOOZLE Guest

>I've had both a battenkill reel and a clearwater
    >flyrod replaced by Orvis at no charge...but it tooks 4
    >- 6 weeks!
    >
    >The suffering-while-waiting isn't worth me buying
    >another Orvis product.

Just to add a little fairness to Orvis, just last week they replaced my nearly one year old Pro Guide waders (they had failed in the neoprene section of the foot) with a brand new pair of updated Pro Guide II's.At no charge and on the spot at their Bellevue store. As a retailer myself I recognize exceptional service when I see it and I'll continue to support them.
    The fact that they replaced your rod and reel at no charge is a feather in their cap the way I see it. Just something to consider.
    Greg A:)

16. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Here is a recent example

>Now Orvis was a
    >different story.

Remember that Orvis makes more rods every year than Sage, Winston, T&T and several other makers combined. They also repair more rods every year than Sage even makes. Unlike T&T who have one or two part-time guys tediously building up replacement pieces from scratch, Orvis has a dozen people dedicated to repairs alone. But even with that many folks, it's hard to keep up with an avalanche of repairs, especially if yours went in during the peak season with several dozen others the same day.

17. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Here is a recent example

>especially if yours went
    >in during the peak season with several dozen others the
    >same day.

When is the peak season for breaking rods...? :+

Roper, the sometimes I just can't help it...

18. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Here is a recent example

>When is the peak season for breaking rods...? :

Whenever yours is the one that breaks :-D

19. Brian

Brian New Member

Here are some of what my fishing buddies and I have experienced with different rod manufacturers over the past few years.
    Loomis - Broken GLX (angler error) $50.00 and a new rod in two days.
    Broken GL3 (manuf. defect)Rod repaired in one week at $0.00.
    Broken IMX (angler error) Upgraded to new GLX for $150.00 - Excellent service

Sage - Broken RPL (angler error) Rod repaired for $20.00 in one week - Excellent service

Orvis - Broken Tip (manuf defect) rod repaired in approx eight weeks - slow service. My buddy ended up buying another 5 wt (Sage) because the repair took so long and he wanted to fish.

St. Croix - Ferrule problem (manuf defect) My buddy has a 6 wt legend that will not stay together. He has tried wax and everything else available to keep the rod tip from flying off during a day of fishing. He even used spey rod tape on it for one trip. The tip has broken several times. He has asked St. Croix for a new rod, but they continue to try to fix it for him. It has been out of service so much he doesn't use it anymore. He bought a new Loomis to replace it.

Overall, I would have to say Loomis and Sage offer the best service based on our experiences. Loomis took a lot of heat when they started their $50.00 fee. I'd gladly pay $50.00 for good service and to have a new rod in several days. It sure beats a free repair and having to wait eight weeks to get a rod back.
    Brian