Best Salmon/Steelhead Fly Box These Days?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by HauntedByWaters, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Jim Dingsdale Member

Cnada
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Have used this Perrine Fly Box for years with good success.
    There are springs underneath the aluminum strips that hooks fit into.

Empty, well, almost.
    [IMG]

This box was purchased a lloonngg time ago.
  2. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I used Perine boxes for years. I still have two with clips and the clear plasic swing leaf. I haven't seen the ones shown here for years. Didn't think they still made them. They were my favorite trout boxes, probably in the 1960s.
    Les
  3. Jim Dingsdale Member

Cnada
  4. Jim Dingsdale Member

Cnada
    An old Hardy Fly Box.

[IMG]
  5. rmflyrods Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0

I've got a box just like that. I inherited it from an old neighbor. I always wondered if the springs dulled or damaged the hook points. Anyone else have an opinion on that?
  6. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0

No problems with hook points. My problem with the box, which I still use, is the flies don't stay stuck real well.
  7. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I dig clip boxes for my steelhead flies, for my big nasties I like cliff boxes, the new SA System X boxes look like they will be winners as well. CF designs makes great boxes but I just can't let myself spend $50 on a box... Also plano dived boxes are nice too, especially for the way I fish for salmon, with essentially 2 fly patterns but lots of em.
  8. Tyler B Member

coeur d alene, id
    Plano boxes are great and cheap, it is inevetiable that your boxes will get moisture in them regardless of what type of boxes you fish. Try collecting the little silica packets that come in the bottom of the shoe boxes and throw a few of these in whatever box you fish and they suprisingly help get rid of some of the moisture and keeps your flies from rusting too much. You still need to pat dry your flies after a good soaking, but the silica packets do work pretty good.
  9. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    if you get a metal clip box get one with holes in it because it'll let your flies dry out...
  10. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    I have a couple very nice clip boxes I have recieved over the years as gifts but the clips just don't hold flies. I want something that stays organized so I can see my options and know how many of a particular fly I have left. With the clip boxes I usually end up with a big pile of flies when I open them.
  11. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    weird mine holds flies great to about size 1/0 I got the okuma one...
  12. Will Atlas Guest

I just use plano 6 compartment plastic boxes. Organized by color they hold my winter flies just fine and only cost me 2.99
  13. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I'm a Cliff's guy as well. C&F's are great, but I personally like the big Bugger Barns. The C&F is fully sealed and waterproof. I just like the price and durability of the Cliff boxes, not to mention that the "Made in Wyoming" sticker is cooler than any "Made in China" sticker.
  14. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +317 / 1
    I have some of all of the above plus some not mentioned. Maybe 2 years ago I started using C&F mostly however I recently picked up a Bugger Barn. It sure is a nice box for the bigger flys. Hard to beat.
    The other Cliffs I "couldn't live without" is the Super Day's Worth. It seems I'm always wanting a "truck box" that is loaded with a little bit of everything from salt to steel to midges to streamers. I usually keep a 6wt and a couple spools of tippet in there too for "just in case" I get some free time. The SDW is worth looking into if you that sounds like you. Even holds some tube flys in the "secret compartment" (magnetic portion for midges).
  15. blackcaddis New Member

reston,va
    Anyone have idea how to restore metal clip in fly box to original condition after it has been sprung (i.e. too open ) ?
  16. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +763 / 0
    You could take a cheap box and rip the foam out and install a magnet system IMAG0147.jpg IMAG0146.jpg
    kamishak steve and underachiever like this.
  17. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    wow this thread is old.
  18. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +421 / 0
    That's a cool idea pat,how did you go about doing that?
  19. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    I saw something similar that was in the effing ridiculous price range, I can't findthe company that makes the product but iI thought about it for a while and settled on a cheap deep fly box, 6mm and 3mm foam, .25in magnets, standard hole punch, superglue and an exacto knife. The rest I'll leave to the imagination but it wasn't the easiest project I've jimmyrigged.
  20. joellirot Member

vancouver,bc
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    you just inspired me. i bought 30 bucks worth of assorted super magnets on ebay. when they get here i'll buy a couple of inexpensive boxes and glue in magnets. Great idea!
    Pat Lat likes this.