Best Spey Reel Value Right Now?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by HauntedByWaters, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Forgot all about those Cortland reels! Extremely overlooked, good quality, bomb proof reels that you should be able to pick up extremely reasonably.

Les's suggestions about the SA reels is a great one, too, and I would opt for the System 2's over the Cortland reels; a little 'heavy' relative to today's standards (but they really aren't heavy), which would work great for your spey purposes. Spools are inexpensive, the drags are great, the reel is reliable and affordable, the manufacturer should be around for a long time . . . all the right reasons to get one!
  2. btfriar New Member

edmonds
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    if you want cheap but still not bad try the okuma sierra s10/11, its only 47$ new and has worked just fine for me. It will hold all the line you need. If you can I would jump up to the ross cla 6 at 290$.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    I have an Okuma Integrity 10/11 and when I showed it to my local fly shop they said it should do just fine for starters. I think they are a few bucks more than the Sierra series. The sierras have a small drag knob the Integrity has a large star shaped drag knob. I have sierras in 5 and under weights and integrities in 5 and larger. For my fishing and budget they have been a great fit. Good luck.