Best SRC/Resident Coho Rod & Reel?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by freestoneangler, Jan 8, 2012.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I'm considering buying or building a saltwater outfit tailored for beach fishing. Love to hear from those on the forum who spend time chasing smaller beach quarry. What rod/reel/line system do you fish?

Thanks

2. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

I hooked a nice SRC on my 4 wieght and it was
    fine because the fish was only 12 inches. I caught
    one on my 10 foot five weight and felt under gunned
    as I battled an 19 incher to hand. Most times I use
    a six weight because you never know when an errant
    Blackmouth or Silver will slam your fly and if you are
    lucky enough to encounter a big SRC you will wish you
    were using a six weight.

Go FIsh

3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I've been fishing the saltwater for cutthroats for years, just as Go Fish has. I prefer a 5 wt. My 6 wt. is too "stiff" for those trout, I think (but it's a fast action). A 4 wt. would be awesome at times, and a 6 wt. would be good for wind, but who wants to fish in the wind much anyway? I think a medium fast action is great for cutthroat. I think a fast action is too stiff when those cutts start "bouncing around", shaking the tip, while rolling with their noses in the oysters trying to get away. I think they tend to come "unbuttoned" more often with a stiff fast rod. Medium action! or shall I say, medium fast.

Edit: As far as coho, I use a 6 wt. fast action.

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

9' 6 weight xp and tcr both sw seats. I have used a lamson litespeed, but since prefer and usually use a galvan torque-6. rod might be on strong side, but so are the elements that you encounter on many days and the 6 helps you get the line out there a bit better (MHO). I use both a SA steelhead 6wf line and a SA Express 250 gr. clear intermediate. In the past I use to use the cheaper SA ultra lines which actually worked fine, but since, they had become harder to find plus the cost is not the savings it once was.

5. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Like the rest of the guys a 5wt is perfect till you get to the beach and the wind is killer, then you are wishing for a 6wt.

These days i take both andpick one depending on the wind, I have never tried a 4wt and I am sure it would be great on the smaller fish. But with my luck the first cast on a 4wt would result in a hot 20" fish.

KC

6. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

It seems to matter on the kind of stick
    you like using, fast, medium, etc.
    I want some backbone..... just in case.

A reel with a buttery smooth drag like a Galvan or Ross
    is not important for a cutt but when
    you hook a 10LB Blackmouth, by chance,
    you will rue the day your reel let you down.

Dave

7. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

I have a st croix Legend Ultra 6 wt set up for the salt that makes for a good medium fast beach rod.

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I personally don't think just one rod will cover all your Puget Sound beach work.

Take resident coho for instance. I think of them almost as two separate species based on the time of year you are angling for them.
    The ones you'll catch in the winter time and early spring can easily be handled by a 4 or 5 wt.
    In the summer, you'll catch a lot of 3-5 lb fish plus an occassional fish in the 8 lb range. The 6 wt in my opinion really lets the fish show off their stuff.
    Come fall, you'll have opportunities for resident fish plus double digit ocean fish. I still use the 6 because most of the fish can be handled by it. Some folks go to an 8 wt in the fall.

Now add SRC's to the equation along with weather you'll likely encounter, that mainly being wind.
    The moral is that just like lakes and streams, it is difficult to cover all the bases with just one rod.
    If I had only one rod to use, it would be a medium fast 9'6" 6 wt set up with both floating and intermediate line spools.

9. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

from the beach right? if so how about a 5/6 switch set up for overhand casting. i also feel like a long cast is usefull in salt, even when your fishing in close. just lets u cover the water well. dont know if many people are doing this or not.

10. cutthroat kid

cutthroat kid cut throat kid

6 weight echo 2 rod with lamson guru 2 reel. weight forward intermediate sinking line

I have been fishing with it for 7 months and everything has been terrific

check out the gig harbor fly shop ,
    I got all my stuff there and the staff is terrific. they will fix you up with the right stuff for saltwater fishing, from the beach

11. aaronk

aaronk Member

6wt Echo, Lamson Konic, and a floating 6WF line. Looking for a different line but haven't decided on what yet.

12. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

It just comes down to compromises, I think a 5wt is just right for cutts and rezzies. I use a St. Croix elite and it works well with shooting heads and gets good distance, but I think it's a too fast to really enjoy smaller fish, but then again, it's nice when it's windy. I hate playing fish with too heavy or stiff a rod, it just takes the fun out of it. I would like to find something a little slower, but still be able to get the distance needed for when those rezzies are 10' further than I can cast. I really like the Airflow 40+, I use the intermediate and the floating, I think they are a must for rezzies. I'm thinking a 9'6" rod might be a good choice. My 6wt only comes out in the fall for larger coho and pinks. 8wt.... chum only.

13. Blake

Blake Member

The Scott S4s 9'6" 6wt is the best beach rod, in my opinion. I'd say the Winston B2-MX 9'6" 5wt would be second. If you're looking for more of a mid-priced rod the Scott A4 9'6" 6wt and Echo 3S 9' 6wt are great options.

A lot of people fish Lamsons in the salt. There's lots of good reels out there. Nautilus NVG-5 is pretty hard to beat.

14. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I've always recommended a fast action 9' 6th rod, anodized reel, and weight forward floating line and an intermediate line

15. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

The largest consideration for a sea-run rod is the ability to deliever the need casts. That may vary some depending on the angler's skill and what you need to make at 50 to 60 foot cast in breeze conditions with minimal false casts, the ability to deliever a decent roll cat all with little "spash down". For me that means 9 foot rods (fast action 5s or a 6) and weight forward lines.

There isn't s sea-run or resident coho that swims that an experienced angler can't handle with a 4 weight but such a rod will be a satisfctory cast tool under limited conditions. I have attempted to fish in some conditons where I was under gunned with a 7 weight - not for the fish but the conditions under which I was attempting to make the needed cast.

Tight lines
    Curt

16. Denny

Denny Active Member

Porter speaks big medicine. Rod selection is not always about the fish; the weather and environment conditions, the distances you want to cast and fish, and the size of the flies you expect to use should be big factors.

A fast 5 works, but a it's tough to beat a 6 wt for all-around Puget Sound use. You can use it virtually all year and have it work fine for you 99% of the time.

17. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

If I had to choose just one rod to cover all of my beach fishing, (SRC, rezzies, summer/fall silvers) I would go with my XP 691. A little heavy for smaller fish, but I'm always glad to have it when a bit of a breeze comes up.

18. Bob Balder

Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

For me it is all about being prepared for the certain eventuality of the wind blowing and hoping that one day a black mouth sneaks up on me....
    Imuse a 9' 6wt. and RPL, it is pretty fast and I have no issues losing fish, well I do... but I don't think has anything to do with the rod.
    I too use a Lamson, it seems bullet proof in the salt and like Leland, I fish with a weight forward floater and a clear intermediate. I also agree with Curt's assesment that resident Coho and SRC can behandled with a four wt., for me it is pretty much about casting, manding and dealing with the wind.

19. Paul Potter

Paul Potter Member

Dustin, love my Z switch w/a litespeed and a slow outbound for the beach.

20. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Listen to Stonefish, buy 2 rods for fishing Puget Sound. As you get more experience you'll want to target bigger fish in the saltwater and a 4 wt or 5 wt will leave you weeping one day. Even an 18 inch blackmouth is too much for a light fly rod.

Rod-#1: 9'6" med-fast action 6 weight rod with a fighting butt

Rod-#2: 9'6" fast action 8 weight rod with a fighting butt

The quality of reel won't matter for small cutts and rezzies, but a good reel is vital to land silver or chinook salmon over 3 pounds. If you skimp on the reel you will get smoked (like my Lampson velocity 2 versus a 13lb chinook). I love the light weight Bauer reels for the saltwater. They perform really well with bigger salmon and are tough.

Get extra spools for a floating line and a clear intermediate sinking line. I use my saltwater rods/reels for freshwater river fishing too, salmon & steelhead.