Best Steelhead pattern for Skagit

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Caveman, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Caveman

Caveman Member

What is the best steelhead pattern for the skagit? Pics would be great.

Thanks,

Adam

2. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

a black leech

Ian Broadie likes this.
  3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

GP. Early season, red or orange later, purple or black

4. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

I agree with Kerry, but I will use King Fisher Blue and Black a lot and then Orange with Gold and/or Copper mixed in.

Attached Files:

5. Stickel.back

Stickel.back Member

Nice bugs!

6. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Those are sweet man I like the green One

7. BDD

BDD Active Member

I love the Skagit and I love steelhead but putting them together in the same sentence is just about an oxymoron anymore.

For the most part any fly that would work on steelhead anywhere would likely work on steelhead in the Skagit. The much harder part would be to find a steelhead in the Skagit and put a fly in front of it. The pattern would be the least of your concern.

8. Chris DeLeone

BDD - There are times when I use a certian color, profile and the fly I think will work in that situation. As we all know there are many factors that come into Steelheading and the fly is an important one - I think that with the amount of winter fish we have and the chance to fish over in a Season - an angler should be very aware of what profile, color, how much flash and size of bug you are fishing - time is too short and fish are far and few between - an angler that is not thinking and just tossing any bug that will work anywhere may be missing a fish or two. That's just my 2-cents

And too your point in 2009 the Mighty Skagit saw just over 2000 fish come back to the system - since that time we have seen positive numbers of returing fish and my hope is this year will top 6000 - if next year is over 6500 we can make a good case that CnR is not hurting return numbers - as you know a high percentage of the fish returning this season came from the run of 2009.

Lets hope

Davy and Eric Tarcha like this.
  9. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Purple over chartreuse marabou is my goto...then cerise and white late winter.

10. BDD

BDD Active Member

Chris while I don't disagree with you, I'd rather use the correct fly line in the right water at the right time and blindly chose any one of the flies in your picture (all very nice by the way) than have the "right" fly if any one of the other parameters are not in sync.

The fact that the only fishery the Skagit currently has is the hatchery winter fish and maybe a few summer fish in some of the tributaries. Wild fish are off-limits until long-term recovery is established. And while I won't hold my breath, there are very few folks who would like to see that as much as I would.

If you can present a fly to a hatchery winter fish, I'd categorize timing, location, water conditions, and fly line as more important than the style and color of the fly.

But then, the original question was related to fly pattern, not everything else.

Paul Huffman likes this.
  11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I would say it was blind ass luck and had little do with what fly or line you had on. Timing, sure you aren't getting one in July. Location little, unless you out front of the hatchery itself. Water conditions, well you aren't going to get one in a flood. Looking at the river from a traditional steelhead swing water point of view there are likely less brats than wild steelhead to catch. WDFW's steelhead hatchery on the Skagit is pathetic at best.

12. Chris DeLeone

Again Kerry I agree on that - in "winter" there are many more wild fish in the river than hatchery fish - I think the hatchery run is less than 900 steelhead a season. If you hook a fish in Mid to late January - i would say you have a 20% chance of getting a hatchery - the guys I fish with and keep track of fish hooked/landed only got two brats the rest were wild.

13. Caveman

Caveman Member

what line do you guys use for salmon in general on the skagit. Sinking or floating with an indicator.

14. BDD

BDD Active Member

Depends on time of year and species sought but I have done well with a 15' sinktip; type 3 with weighted flies, type 6 for non-weighted.

15. Caveman

Caveman Member

Thanks. Whats you success rate when silvers move through in sept and oct..

16. Caveman

Caveman Member

And what flies do you use then.

17. BDD

BDD Active Member

Silvers can be hot or cold, hit or miss. They seem more moody than other salmon and can go off the bite with a severe case of lockjaw. Other times, they can be very aggressive.

Rather than a traditional swing for them like steelhead, think more about stripping erratically to entice strikes. Flies with lots of flash and movement.

Paul Huffman likes this.
  18. Chris DeLeone

IMO and you use a bobber on the Skagit - your a fuckin tool. That system has so much water that will hold fish with a tight line its unreal.

My suggestion is 12 feet of T-14 or -12 feet of Type VI and 15ft of Type VI will work on many runs. You may have to go to Type III and mess around with weighted flies. I don't target salmon but have got my share in that time.

Good Luck and have fun up there - its a great time of year to be on that river, you can learn a lot for the winter steelhead season then.

KerryS and hookedonthefly like this.
  19. Caveman

Caveman Member

I just bought some property on the river so im looking forward to fishing it

20. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Where is your property located?