Best steelhead town..

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Panhandle, Jun 16, 2008.

1. i was wondering if anyone was going to catch that.

2. Eureka, Ca

More summer runs on the Klamath alone than we get summer/winter combined on all the N Puget sound rivers. Winter runs that are Sauk/Skagit native sized fish if you target the right drainages.

Multiple fish days are the norm, not the exception.

6 world class rivers within about 2 hours in any direction, with a tiny fraction of the population to compete with for fish and water. I never knew how good I had it in college, until I moved back home. Least well known steelheading on the west coast IMHO.

3. Just from my own experience, I gotta go with Coach - Terrace and Smithers. I miss that part of the world.

4. Ooops, meant to stipulate the lower 48. B.C. is a given.

5. Shady Cove, Forks, Anatone?
    I'm not biting....

6. ......:p

Hey, Fred, does Deadford still have the "Big Y"?

7. If it can't be in Canada it is Forks. No question.

8. Altmar

cds

9. Camas, WA (or Portland, OR) off course! WE got the Clack, Sandy, Washougal, Kalama, NFL and EFL within an hour. Within two hours we got the Lower D, Hood River, Klick, what's left of the Wind, Wilson, Necanicum, Nehalem, North Fork of the Nehalem, Trask, White Salmon, Forks of the Toutle and Cowlitz. There are a few others here and there the internet does not need to know about though. Now if there was only a fly shop within an hour that actually knew something about steelheading.

10. iagree

Even though I live in Ashland (just south of Medford/Rogue River/Applegate/etc., have to go with John on this one. Lovely area, lovely river, lovely city owned RV park, etc., locals are also a joy.

11. Sorry Kerry, your post slide right under my radar. I think the answer is 'yes,' but get me back in context. If you're talking about the intersection of 'old 99/Riverside/etc., all that's been ripped up and it's now a 6-7 lane road. Only place you'll be the 5th car (this is our version of a traffic jam in the largest City in the southern half of Oregon) -at a stop light- is the 1 mile stretch from I-5 to Costco.

fae

PS: it's no longer called "Deadford," new name is "Dreadford.":thumb:

12. Forks, WA
    Pulaski, NY

13. Just to be different, I'll say Darrington. Fewer options than forks, but a bit less pressure too. Also closer to the pass for hitting the east side.

14. I don't know about Forks. Obviously those are some great rivers, but pressure has been rising exponentially the last couple years and the rivers out there are out of shape alot of the time. Also, the summer run options are fairly paltry out on the coast...and you have to live in forks. I would say portland personally or another town in the willamette valley. Oregon Coast, Deschutes, umpqua, Lower Columbia Tribs...thats alot of options year round.

Will

15. Let's see from Portland for a day trip:

Clack, Eagle creek, Sandy, Molalla, N. and S Santiams, Big D, Klick, Hood, Wilson, The Nestucca, Necanacum, Salmonberry, and many other coastals. Willamette, Columbia, Cowlitz and other SW Washington rivers........ the list goes on, and this is just what you can do in the morning and make it home for dinner. There are so many options that it becomes dilemma in just deciding where to go. I don't know any place that has that many locations so close, with a variety of runs throughout the year.

16. As far as centrally located, I'd say Aberdeen. Check out all the rivers you can hit within a couple of hours drive north, south and east of there.

17. Forks--not so many swells. Castle Rock would have given it a run before the mountain blew up.

18. :rofl::rofl::rofl: sad thing was I was going to list it too, but I didn't want to be different! :D

19. Sadly, economics has prevented me from spending stream time around Terrace and Smithers, B. C. But I've flown in and out of them, and my reaction to both was "I didn't realize that Shangri-La has an airport!" (Smithers might be more popular if its name didn't sound like a middle school Vice Principal/history teacher.)

I'd like to see a sub-thread: Terrace or Smithers: Which is closer to a steelheader's heaven on earth?

20. Castle Rock !!:beer1::beer1::beer1: