Best Summer Run Fishery On The West Coast

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jonathan Tachell, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    That was definitely a bikini hatch highlight. And Jon, personally I think it's a ton of fun, although it's not everyone's bag obviously. You usually get about an hour of good fishing just before dark, and that's when the magic happens anyways.

2. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    Klickrolf if you got em pegged let's meet up and fish some time in July. I will pay for gas and food and anything else necessary to have a good time. Just saying. Flyborg you have me convinced that the Kalama bikini hatch is worthy of a day trip or two not to mention the river is gorgeous and one might even catch a fish.

3. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

PM me if you're serious Jonathan...and I don't have 'em pegged.

4. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    If you have that kind of time off and don't hit the deschutes then you deserve leprosy.

5. Jonathan Tachell

Media:
    Yeah the deschutes will probably get fished for a day or two during my steelhead vacation.

6. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

Not the prime time for the Rogue...I'd save the drive time unless you're planning to be down there anyway. I agree with lots of the other suggestions. If drive time is not an issue, I'd say go to the Skeena System in BC.

7. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

Media:
    It was mentioned already, but I wouldn't be caught anywhere on those dates other than vancouver island.

8. kamishak steve

Media:
    @metalonthefly - those dates are a bit too early for skeena fish, and with the new skeena licensing system for 2012, you all better think about new options for that area. Closures for non-resident anglers, increased classified waters fees, etc.

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    A well traveled steelheader once told me that the best summer steelhead fishery in the world, which also happens to be on the west coast, is the Dean River in BC. There also happens to be a couple weeks still open after the lottery for this year.

Sg

10. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    I don't think there is a prime time place anywhere. It's really a bit early for the D, a bit early for the Klick, etc... The only reasonable hits would *normally* be the earlier run fish (Stilly, Sky), but those are all hatchery turds for the most part. The Cow is great, but wildly crowded. Also, for the Sky and Stilly we are looking at maybe 3000 total fish for the basis. I'm a bit curious as to how many fish would be in the Rouge/Umpqua at this time. Do you have info on this?

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm down for a Vancouver Island trip if anyone heads up that way this summer.

12. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    Oooooh, I would too...depending on work, wife and other responsible kind of behavior..

13. Jonathan Tachell

Media:
    Lets do it. Vancouver Island trip July 18-22

14. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Media:
    SG has it pegged. The Dean has steelhead and scenery that will leave you weak in the knees.........

15. Jonathan Tachell

Media:
    Would love to fish the Dean but I am afraid it is a little bit out of my budget for this year as I am currently saving up for a 7 day tarpon trip next may. Not to mention support all of my local fishing trips including looking to upgrade to a better pontoon boat to get more serious about the river fishing game, especially for steelhead and salmon. Tired of being limited to banking it when I do river fish.

16. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

It's not prime time, but there are definitely fish in the system that time of year, plust the chance of hooking large salmon. As others have pointed out, this is really not prime time anywhere. However, if I had set dates that's where I'd go. It'll be better up there than anywhere in WA or OR.

17. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

I don't know the average numbers on the Rogue this time of year (but there should be dam counts online), just that the peak of the season is mid to late August through mid Oct. I took a full year off and fished the Rogue, Deschutes, and N. Umpqua about 12 years ago. As I recall, the N. Umpqua started fishing earlier than the Rogue and would probably be a better option in late July. Problem in July is the obvious one - fishing is usually curtailed to morning and evening b/c of heat...unless your indicator fishing, but even then it slows down.

18. kamishak steve

Media:
    If you guys are headed to the island i might be able to help you out with ideas of where to go. lived there for 7 years. the places you will be able to read about on the internet are not where you want to be, locals usually are pretty secretive about their spots. there is no washingtonflyfishing equivalent for the island...

Dan Cuomo and Steffan Brown like this.
  19. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

for good reason...the internet doesn't need more guys opening their gums on native steelhead!!!

20. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    I am interested in the Vancouver Island trip. I just will need to figure out which flies to bring...