Best Tubing Fins?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Greg Armstrong, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +253 / 0
    Are there any decent float tube fins that any of you would recommend (other than those $150 ones that start with an "F"? - I really don't want to spend quite that much), plus I prefer a pair that's a little bit lighter in weight for hiking in to all the secret spots! What do you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.
  2. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,010 / 0
    Best fins? Simple: Force Fins. Oh wait: you didn't really mean 'best', you meant 'best cheap fins that aren't Force Fins', eh? :clown:

I've tried just about every type of tubing fins commonly available and yes, Force Fins are definitely the best. But they're also heavy, they don't float, and they're outrageously expensive.

I keep a pair of cheapo Caddis fins for backpacking. They're light. They float. And at less than $20 when I bought 'em 10 years ago, they were definitely affordable. Since you insist, here's the same fin as mine but with a slightly different strap arrangement: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

But Force Fins they aren't, reminding me whenever I use them why it takes so much more effort to get around in the water and why my legs cramp up and get sore at the end of the day.

K
  3. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +201 / 1
    Bite the bullet!
    Buy the "adjustable" Force Fins. Had mine for 7 years now. Nothing will propel you more effortlessly and faster. Worth every penny IMHO.
  4. Joe Coletta Jumpin Jersey Joe

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I agree with both gents above- bite the bullet and get the FF and kick your way around all day and catch fish........ I had the Montana Kickers (just like the link) for years and finally got the FF and been happy ever since......
  5. Slipstream Member

Goldendale, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Force. They make several models and I found a pair at Sportsmans Wharehouse a couple of years ago. They slip on over your shoes, have a simple heel strap and were right at $100. I haven't had a cramp since I gave my Caddis fins away. SS
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,233 / 9
    Omegea Navigators. My force fins were great, but did not fit my foot comfortably. I got the Navigators and love them. I did not pay $150 for them. I also have some of the $20 caddis fins for loaning to friends from out of town. I have a set of force fins that I loaned to a forum member here, if he is not interested in buying them they could be yours for less than retail.
  7. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +359 / 0
    I received a pair of the Omega Navigators for a product review and have finally been able to get out and try them. The flip-up feature is interesting and does make getting in and out of the water somewhat easier. I found them to be on a par with most of the better fins I've tried so far as propulsion is concerned and the plastic-and-rubber blade construction gives them a great deal of torsional rigidity making tight turns and maneuvers easier than with any other fin I've tried. I'll have a full review of them in the summer issue of F&TJ.
  8. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +941 / 0
    For hiking in, the best compact lightweight fins I've found were made by Flips for Orvis (now discontinued) They are incredibly light and they're totally flat so they are very easy to pack. They are hard plastic without much flex and I was surprised at the amount of propulsion for such a simple fin. The straps are fussier than others but once you get used to them, they are easy to put on and stay tight the whole day. I've got 2 other pairs of fins but because these take up no room in my gear bag, I often grab these fins.

There's a pair for sale now on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Orvis-Flip-bell...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
  9. bfic Member

Marysville, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Look at Creek Company Lightweight Fins. light cheap with good propulsion. I've never had a problem with this style of fin but make sure you get the newer style with buckles and not the old style with one long continuous strap.

I think they are currently on sale at the big "C" for about $20.00
  10. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    :eek: Cough cough... Man I haven't bought much fly fishing gear in the last 10-15 years or so. Have a pair of FFs I bought with my new original U Boat and they were the most expensive back then but $150?!

What about these Wilderness Access fins?
  11. corysean99 New Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  12. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Brian, here ya go; http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0011322312111a.shtml
    These are the $150+ fins most everyone is happy with. I thought they were a little pricey too, but may consider them since they've received such high praise.

Thanks to all who've responded. A lot of good ideas were shared to my post. Greg
  13. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Mumbles... just a heads-up, I sent you a pm yesterday. Greg
  14. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,233 / 9
    I got it GregA...I'll be in touch soon! Sorry for the delay.
  15. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    Since you want recommendations of fins that don't start with an "F" . . .

Phorce Phins.

They are the best. If you buy another brand, and you end up fishing much where you use fins, you'll end up buying the Force, er, Phorce Phins. Trust me. Been there, done that.

What size feet do you have? I have an extra set of Force Fins I've been debating selling . . .
  16. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Richard,

Will they Phorce me through the water Phaster and let me catch more Phish?

Mumbles offered me his but they're too big for me. I left you a pm as well

Thanks!, Greg
  17. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    Less kicking and easier kicking.

I had a pair of the Caddis fins, the deluxe model. I was fishing with a buddy of mine, and he was kicking half as much and going faster. He was using . . . drum roll please . . . Force Fins. My buddy gave me the same counsel I am giving you. He was right (don't tell him I admitted it, though). My knees, ankles, and thighs appreciate the Force Fins, and I'm sure that much more fresh for those long drives home after a hot day of fishing on a Basin lake.

If you fish for 10 hours on a lake, kicking around, and you kick half as much and cover more ground, think about how much relief that is one your joints, etc. Amortize the incremental extra cost for the Force Fins over just a couple of trips and you'll quickly figure out it's worth it.
  18. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +533 / 0
    Where are the Chinese when I need them? Seems someone would make some for under $60!! I'm so cheap sometimes... Ha.
  19. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +483 / 0
  20. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    Richard nailed it...nothing comes even close..no gimmicks or hinges or whatever. Buck up and they'll last longer than you do! If you need to walk for a distance, take them off. I wish they made a 'lightweight' and shorter river version. The classifieds are full of the 'competitors'.