Best Tubing Fins?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Greg Armstrong, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    If you have to walk for a distance you can do so easily in your Omega Navigators flipped up. Gimmick, hinges, or whatever you want to say your opinion is not the only truth. Force fins rock if you can find some, and they fit your foot well. In my case they just don't fit as comfortably as my Navigators, which I've tested side by side even one of each at a time with my force fins. Larger surface area, slightly more effort, slightly more output. If you won't buy force fins now you may later. If you start with Navigators now you might not need anything else.

And no, I'm not affiliated in any way with Omega. I just like offering a different opinion from someone who has a pair of BOTH.

2. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

I had no intent on trashing your choice of fins or the quality. My only point was about the practicality or need of the 'hinges'. Any rotating component, either on a car, ballpoint pen or an F-16 is subject to failure...not a question of if, but when. A buddy has size 14 feet and while he claims it gives him great balance, he's a bit of a klutz. Anyway the Phorce Phins he got didn't fit either...with his Simms guide boots....ended up getting a cheap pair of hodgmans boots and now they fit fine. My only sugestion to improve them is to toss the buckle away and have velcro straps instead...quick and tight! A slightly shorter and lighter version really would be ideal for floating rivers, but I'm not breaking out the band saw and grinder to experiment, they cost too damn much to replace! Tightlines, Fred.

3. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Force fins are the best.

I use caddis and get around fine. I spent the money I saved on whiskey and girls.

I don't regret it.

4. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

I had a set of Caddis fins. Hell is being in the middle of a lake and having a fin come off. Maybe if I was still a skinny teen ager, I could have done the contortions becessary to get my foot up to where I could get the fin back on; but I'm not, so I kicked with one foot a long way. Then, I went out and bought some Phorce Phins--LOVE EM!!!!! Go for it and get the adjustable.

5. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

No better advertisement for buying 'fin tethers'...cheap insurance! The adjustables are good, but I switched to the others...lgihter weight and NO weight from your boots. I wear wet socks over my waders for extra protection, but on the plus side my feet have never been warmer...fish all winter in lakes and stay warm. The reason I switched is a degenerative disc problem and just trying to lessen the weight and strain on my lower back, never know when the next time might be my last. Funny thing is that I believe this method is superior ergonomically for ease of propulsion: your foot fits farther into the fins and you end up using the larger muscles of your lower leg instead.

6. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Sportsman, thanks for your reply. I have some issues with my back as well, so am interested in what you have to say. I'm curious what you mean when you said you "switched to the others". What fins are you referring to? Greg

7. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I know it's not Force Fins bawling:, but take a pair of the competitors fins and cut/shorten them a little for moving water/river use. They really aren't for propelling you from one place to another, but really for positioning the boat. I think it was the old Water Master guys, maybe Tote N Float, that used to sell a version of those. It seems I recall they glued a piece of felt on the bottom (around the 'heel' area?), too. The fin design looked like the lowest priced Caddis models, which I have used on the Yakima. :thumb:

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Interesting.

The biggest benefit I've realized from using the Force Fins is how much easier they are on my joints. My ankles and knees are sooooo much happier when I use the Force Fins.

9. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Greg A: Force makes the same fins in a style like scuba fins...actually they make LOTS of different styles for scuba. These are identical to the adjustables and weigh roughly 30% less....take away the weight of your boots and it really makes a big difference. They are easier to put on and stay tight to your feet, they sell for a little bit less than the adjustables. Mine are XXL and allows my entire foot to fit into the fins, it's made a significant difference! Richard, I got a set of the "over the boot" fins from Dale when I bought the Abel from him: they are very light, fit well and are easy to walk in....the downside is the 'thrust' factor...about like a Caddis or similar fins.

10. Redcat22

Redcat22 Born to fish forced to work!

I use scuba fins. Because i don't like to use my oars and the fins give me a lot of thrust. That might be why my feet get so cold.

11. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

my feet get so cold

As stated earlier, "Not particularly light weight, but I've used Turtle Fins (and flats boots when tubing) for years . . . big foot pocket, easy on & off, superb propulsion."

Due to the large foot pocket & combined with flats boots, feet aren't confined and rarely get cold. Excellent propulsion (I'll race a pair of Force Fins any day & win . . . more than one guy has bought me lunch based on just such a friendly wager, tho at 61 my motor may be getting a bit tired . . .). In really cold water (say Lenore many years ago when ice was still in areas on the lake), putting a bread bag over your wool socks makes an excellent vapor barrier . . . your feet are damp when you come out of the water due to perspiration, but they stay much warmer & the technique gives you a lot more time in/on the frigid water.

12. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Wow. That's a lot of great advice from everyone. Thanks to all! Greg