Best type of Spey rod for beginner

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Tom Arroll, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Tom Arroll Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Hi,

I am looking to start learning how to Spey cast and was wondering if there is a rod length or action that is recommended for a newbie. My main target for spey will be Steelhead so I figure a 9 wt is a good start. Since I don't have any experience Spey casting yet I don't think it is worthwhile for me to test cast a bunch of Spey rods at this point. My thought is that once I learn how to cast I can start testing other rods to see if I have a preference.

Thomas
  2. slippery_whippet Member

Sedro Woolley, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Check out the website for "All about the fly" in Monroe. They are a WWF sponsor and meet nearly every Sunday at the Ben Howard boat launch on the Sky. Mike Kinney is usually there helping folks learn or improve their spey casting. I wish I was closer or I would go more often!

http://www.allaboutthefly.com/custom.php?page=421
  3. Kevin Giusti New Member

Fort Bragg,Ca
    Hey Tom. If your targeting steelhead I think a nine weight spey may be a little much. Something in the 7/8 range would probably handle any steelhead you will likely encounter both summer and winter. I would say something in the 13-14 foot range and beginning it would probably be best to stay away from fast action rods. A rod with a more traditional action will allow you to feel the rod load a lot easier. Even if you have no experience I think it would be good to go to an event like mentioned above and try out some different rods. Or even better take a lesson or two. This will get you started in the right direction casting wise and you will get to try out some different rods and lines. You will probably favor one rod/line setup so when going to make the purchase you will know what works for you and your money will be wisely spent. Good luck Kevin
  4. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    Kevin's dead on imho. There are no 'bad rods,' there are 'no bad lines,' but there are really BAAAAAD combinations. That said, there are rod manufacturers that have a history of only designing/building very good rods.

But, which do you like best? Blonde's, Brunettes, Redheads, etc. That's where the final decision will come down when you pull out your credit card.
  5. stan Banned or Parked

yreka ca
    Best type of Ice Cream for a beginner

Hi Tom! I have never had ice cream before, and me and my girlfriend are going out for ice cream tonight. What kind of ice cream do you think I should get? Chocolate? Vanilla? Mint Chip? I am REALLY STRESSING, WHAT SHOULD I DO?!??!
  6. hendersonbaylocal Member

Seattle WA

you're pretty funny man. i mean seriously, you should do stand up or something.
  7. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I would buy a 13'6"-8/9 4 piece rod with a moderate action and a multi tip short head spey line matched to that rod. There are many rods all across the price point spectrum that meet the above criteria but the Echo Classic would be a very good example.
  8. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Poppy, great information... my next rod might be one of those Echo's... : )
  9. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Like Poppy, I recommend a moderately stiff tip, mid-flex, fast or medium fast recovery rod of 13'6" - 14' 8/9 and a short-belly spey line (55' belly) with multiple (interchangeable) tips. If you are someone who likes fast, stiff single hand rods, you might want to look at a medium stiff to stiff, fast recovery, more tip-flex rod of the same length and line size. Likewise, if you like rods that bend to the cork when casting, you might want to look at a moderately fast recovering, full-flex (bends to the cork when casting), moderately stiff to soft tip rod in the same length and line size.

However, the vast majority of folks are best served with the moderatey stiff tip, mid-flex, fast or medium-fast recovery rod. I purposely didn't mention any brand names of rods or lines because all the major rod and line manufacturers have rods and lines meeting this discription and therre are rods are found in all price ranges

My reasoning behind recommending the short-belly spey line with multiple tips is based on the following: 1) the 55' belly length is pretty forgiving of anchor placement errors, which are common when starting spey casting; 2) the 55' belly is still long enough for performing all the classic and short enough to perform the newer spey casts; 3) the 55' belly is short enough that you will be able to cast 60'-65' fishing distances with relative ease and and within a short period of time; 4) the multiple tip line will let you fish above and below surface without having to learn how to cut and splice lines in a package that is ballanced and casts well; and 5) the short-belly spey line is analogous to a standard WF single hand line, it works for virtually all fishing situations.
  10. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.

As the Queen would say: "I'm not amused." :rofl: In the spey section of WFF we don't (insert four letter word) with each other. Some other place, but NOT here.

That's rule number 1; rule number 2 is you didn't 'get it;' :confused: go back and do a review.
  11. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.

For a direct to 'Stan.' Not here, elsewhere, but NOT here. If you need the 'why,' or my post above didn't get through to you ... PM me.

Fred
  12. SPEYBUM Member

CARNATION, WASHINGTON, USA.
    Tom you are dead on.
    Learn to cast first and them try rods.
    I run a Day on The River Program and Rod Pool and Line Pool so the General public can try before you buy. The Cost is Free.
    These are the rods that the Average Fly Caster has asked me about.
    The rods and Lines that we use in this program have passed my approval both for performance and durably. Best of all I cast what I Sell.
    I am mot on any pro-staffs I retain a neutral view of most products.
    I not biased toward any one manufacture and try to give the Client a honest opinion to what they may want.
    The final decision is how you fell about the rod you like.
    If I do not carry the Manufacture I will send you to the dealer who dose.
    I started this program in 1995 by sending rods in the mail to those people who wanted to try Speycasting and have not look back yet.
    So if you want to try before you buy come see me
  13. Joe Smolt Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    Tom:

We are incredibly blessed to have folks like Aaron and Mike in the Seattle area helping teach folks to cast two-handers......Free. Did I say free? Damn straight. Aaron and Mike, a personal thanks from me for helping me get started and helping me select the rod that best fits my needs. I couldn't imagine how many FF's these guys have helped. It would be a great statistic to see, for sure.

In my opinion, any one giving you advice about a newbie rod other than none and go visit these guys, is doing you a disservice. I've watched folks flail miserably for a long periods of time because wrong rod...wrong line, wrong instructions. To me, it is much more important to match the rod to the caster with two-handers than single handed rods. No one can give you advice until you go out and try them and see what fits for you. I've met folks at the river, and we all preferred different rods. If you don't take advantage of the resource we have here, you will be making a big mistake.

Joe
  14. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0

That is a chicken comment, man, very uncool. You're implying that the first time you walked in to a shop or cast a rod you knew if it was a good one or a bad one. Lighten up. I think Tom made a great comment when he said that he wouldn't know how to tell a good one from a bad one, because he's inexperienced. He's just looking for a little advice on how to get started. He's looking for the 'vanilla ice cream' spey rod suggestion.

Actually, vanilla ice cream would be a good choice for you. You and your girl friend should try that. If there are some other things that you and your girlfiend haven't had, would like to try, and need some advice, let us know. Sheesh.
  15. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    OK Guys, I think 'Stan's' got the point.:hmmm:
  16. Tom Arroll Member

Seattle, WA
    Hi All,

Thank you so much for all of the insignful suggestions. As for Stan no offence, I realize my post was asking quite a bit. Thankfuly most of the responders got the jist of what I was asking for and provided helpful input. As for my overhand rods I have a variety, all have their place regardles if they are my favorite rod. As for starting off on a new area of fishing I am not affraid to invest in a rod that might not be my absolute favorite rod. In fact contrary to good advise I am considering taking the plunge and buying a Burkenheimer. why you might ask? Perhaps it is because I appreciate quality handcrafted items, perhaps I might be experiencing a mid-life crisis. If I don't like it maybe I will keep it anyway or perhaps I will sell it at a discount to Stan.

Best Regards,

Thomas
  17. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Thomas,
    You've made a decision you will not regret. Congratulations on "doing it right the first time".
  18. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Midlife crisis' are not bad, I've had many of them.:cool:

Burkies are a great choice, as the guy is very good at what he does. Your only problem now id deciding which Burkie. Vanilla, Chocolate, or I like Pralines and Cream. Have fun!
  19. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Midlife crisis' are not bad, I've had many of them.:cool:

Burkies are a great choice, as the guy is very good at what he does. Your only problem now id deciding which Burkie. Vanilla, Chocolate, or I like Pralines and Cream. Have fun!
  20. Mike Rupp New Member

Bellevue, WA
    Tom, did you cast the Burkie? If not, I think buying a rod without having cast it first is a bad idea. With the options that you have here in the Seattle area to try out rods before you buy them, you should really try the rod first. Like someone mentioned, a spey rod is a much different animal than a 9' trout rod.

I was in the same boat you are in a few months back. I tried several rods while taking lessons from Aaron:

Meiser MKS 12'6" 7/8/9
    Z Spey
    Burkheimer 8141
    CND Skagit
    CND Steelheader
    Winston BIIx 13'3" 7/8
    Sage 7136 Z-Axis

When I picked up the Burkheimer, I was sure that I would end up wanting to buy the rod. It was a magnificient rod. When I cast it, I just couldn't cast it consistently. You might end up liking the rod, but you'll never know unless you cast it. Get out there on a Saturday and try some rods.