Best type of Spey rod for beginner

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Tom Arroll, Jan 11, 2008.

1. SPEYBUM Member

CARNATION, WASHINGTON, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    “Rest assured if you look long enough and hard enough you will find the rod, line and casting style that fits you and your life style.”
    My $.02 worth

Sloan
    You are right!
    “But how would that help a beginner caster?
    How would spending time with those who are good in their field and learning the difference in rods speed, composition and taper help an new caster. Getting try different rods and lines is part of the fun,
    A beginner hasn't developed their style yet”
    You are right again!
    No one was born with a Speyrod in his hands (Seeing some of these younger casters I do believe they could cast before they could walk though) so we all had to learn. Many of use made mistakes buying Speyrods before we could truly understand the significant differences between types and styles of Speyrods.
    I see more people fail at Fly Fishing in General because they do not understand the value of what they are trying to undertake and if I can give a little insight to help them I will.
    Understanding is the key to Mastery and to understand you must first view the problem for the perspective of the person presenting the question.
    The resolution of problem must also in the perspective of the person who has presented the question.

My $.02 worth
    :beathead:
  2. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    DEAD ON BRO!!:thumb:

Fred

Edit: Just give Aaron your credit card, he'll get you right. No shxt.
    fae
  3. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +176 / 0
    To each his own. With all due respect to all the masters who have weighed in, one is left with the impression that one can only be happy with a spey rod purchase if one selects it after testing out several alternatives. Some of us suggested that testing a bunch of rods is not very meaningful for a person who is a complete neophyte when it comes to two-handed casting. The "test all you can" crowd countered that it makes a difference even for a newb. Okay, maybe it might (though I would submit that walking away happy just because you like the look of the rod/line/reel is not a very meaningful end result from testing a bunch of alternatives). But going back to the original poster - who ended up buying a rod without trying a bunch of different ones - there is a different way. Go get a decent set up and learn on it. That's how I did it. I've never test casted anything (life is too short), and I have rods in a wide variety of actions (single and double handers) that I've just figured out how to cast. I figure that to the extent that I am not getting getting maximum performance out of a rod, it isn't because I bought the wrong rod it's because I haven't had the time or the motivation to figure out how to maximize its potential.
  4. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Like everything else in life there are many different ways for a newbie to pick out a workable spey rod setup.

The method used in the above quote is one I pretty much used for myself but I find that in the day in day out world of selling two hand tackle the average customer doesn't seem to have the same mind set.

All I know is that the "test drive plan" has proven to be a very successful way to sell spey tackle.
  5. Rodney K. Pabst Member

Sequim, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Tom
    I started off with a Sage 9141-4 Euro rod. Big mistake, thankfuly I bought it used. The rod was too fast and not a good starter rod IMHO. I started to read some of the forms and read how the Thomas and Thomas 1307-3 was a great rod for most all types of spey fishing. Bought one and took a weekend class with Simon. The key is lessons and try as many rods as you can. See if you can find someone with a T&T 1307-3 with a Rio WC 6/7 w/ tips. Try the floating tip and sink tips. Now for the downside, T&T are not cheap ($800+) and there are allot of cheaper rods to try. There has been allot of great advice on the thread. I do not think you could go wrong with any of it.

PS: After lessons and many months of practice I can rip my Sage 9141 now. It is my favorite Skagit big rod too.
    Good luck and welcome.

Rod Pabst
  6. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Nooo, nooo and a noooooo. You miss the point entirely.

Sorry, no 'put down' intended.

"To each his own. With all due respect to all the masters who have weighed in, one is left with the impression that one can only be happy with a spey rod purchase if one selects it after testing out several alternatives."

I'm probably repeating myself (nothing (k)new there:beathead:;)) but with a 'newbie' there are rods you'll hand him for 'learning,' there are rods you'll hand him for 'fishing,' there are rods you'll hand him for pure casting distance.

Unlikely any of them would be the same. That said, some will reasonably over lap. And that's where rod designers (Bob Meiser/ the Burkie Boys/Gary Anderson come to mind) really shine.

As you 'move along,' what do you really want a rod to do?

There in hangs the question; and the why you talk to Poppy/Bob/et. al. Yes, they will take you money, but their point will be that you get what you bargined for. :thumb:

A very good thing!:beer2:
  7. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    There is one other reason that potential customers like and benefit from some form of test drive plan.

When a newbie spey rod customers goes to buy a rod the normal procedure is to lay one's money on the counter and then he can go to the river and see if the new tackle fits him/her. If he made the wrong choice or was given bad advice he has a problem.

Yes a good shop will/or should be able to sell him something that will work but it certainly doesn't always work that way. With some form of test drive the newbie customer can at least try out what he is buying before he drops the $$$. Two handed rods cost a considerable amount of money. Why should a customer have to spend the money to find out if he will like the tackle. It is no different then taking a car around a block or two to see how it all sounds and feels.

Fly shops that have some form of test drive plan have a considerable monetary investment in same. I don't really think they would have those programs if it wasn't a benefit to the customer which in turn benefits the fly shop. Seems like a win-win deal to me.

The only people I know that don't like two hand tackle test drives are those that don't have them.
  8. Mark Speer It's all good.....

Clarkston,WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    As a newbie spey'r I spoke with poppy and took what I felt was a middle of the road approach. Since I new nothing of spey casting or lines or reels, m.o.r. seemed to be the most logical approach. Since, then I have upgraded my line to tips..(like alot) and just because I wanted to, somewhat upgraded the reel. As for the rod, I am still learning to understand it..... I know there are better rods out there, but until I fully understand the one I have...they'll just have to wait.
    I was very lucky to have met poppy and glad to have taken his advice.....If you know nothing to begin with and go all out and buy top of the hill stuff, you won't know what you've missed along the way... it's a journey...and I am enjoying meeting spey'rs along the way.:beer2:
  9. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +542 / 0
    Cheap. Y'ou'll learn, then upgrade.

Go Sox,
    cds