Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Best way to carry a pistol wile hiking

8K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  Thomas@Seattle 
#1 ·
i got a glock g20sf to take with me when i head up hiking ( way out in the woods, there's no point to taking it on busy hiking trails ). but i cant seem to figure out the best way to carry it in someplace accessible with a heavy backpack on because of the straps. anyone got any ideas or specific products that would work? thanks for any ideas that will help.

#30 ·
I pack a small revolver in one of those small zippered waist belts pouches when hunting and hiking. I've run into the exact scenario Ribka mentions on the pot farms (I think we chatted about this, Ribka). I was shot at in March 1993 while on a fishing trip to Concunully, and I will not be in the boonies (near humans) without a handgun.

Cliff

#32 ·
I have no comment on whether to carry or not or how to best carry a gun but I have said and will continue to state that if you are afraid of getting into some sort of close quarter shoot out with druggies or dope growers then you should be packing all the firepower you legally can. Which in my opinion would be a short barreled, 6 or more shot, 12 gauge shotgun loaded up with the buck shot of your choice. I prefer #4. I also suggest bringing some friends armed in a similar fashion. After a fire fight no one cares what caliber or type of weapon was used. The only thing that matters is who lived.

#33 ·
You're right Kerry, but as I've aged I've gotten more into ultra-light hiking and backpacking. The shotgun and bandoliers are better suited to jungle patrol in Vietnam than as added carrying weight when hiking and fishing. As another poster mentioned, that's why the venerable and pocketable 38 revolver remains popular. I'm perplexed that pot growers would shoot at hikers and fishermen, since that's not a good way for the growers to remain unnoticed. Seriously, what's a hiker or fishermen going to do besides grab a couple of flowers off the plants as a take-home souvenier for later use. Hardly worth a firefight for either party. Sure is strange, that's for sure, but I find myself increasingly sympathetic to the topic of carrying for self defense. A negative commentary on the state of our society I suspect.

Sg

#37 ·
Hikepat, I suppose I should apologize for the relative heavy handedness of this response, but I'm completely unconcerned about other people being "uneasy" about the exercise of my civil rights, and am not required to carry in such a way that it doesn't offend their sensibilities. I've used my firearms five times in California to defend life and home, and am not usually without at least a pistol. That fact was one of the principal reasons why I relocated when I retired. It's a sad statement that we've allowed our once safe forests to be overtaken by garbage, and an even sadder statement that the authorities can't seem to be able to stop it. I'm one of those people who's not about to surrender my freedom to the criminal element. Criminals are what body bags are for.

#39 ·
I saw it too, Rialto; funny as hell!! Then there's the bunch-usually bangers-who think it's cool to carry in the belt, with the muzzle pointed at the minerals...kind of a delayed Darwinian selection. But I digress.... For grouse tomorrow, I'll have my usual scattergun, plus my Sig tucked into it's holster on my belt, since there's plenty of bears around here, and the possibility of a wounded elk not wanting to share the forest. You never know! But no druggies-we already shot `em all during turkey season.:clown:

#41 ·
I generally carry my Walther PPK in an inside the waist band holster. I'm thinking I need to upgrade my hardware.

Only started to carry after meeting some interesting folks on the trails. As I'm pushing farther off the main thorough fare I'm thinking the PPK is not enough.

I carry SPF 30+ for the sun, Bear spray for animals, and the PPK for others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.