Best way to cook live dungees

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Big E, Jul 26, 2012.

1. So I've been doing some research and there seems to be several ways to Sundays on how to do these things. How do you cook em?

Do you boil, steam, use seasonings, use salt, wine, beer, or old bay, clean before or after? Also need a good aioli recipe please.

2. I used to cook them live, but it's so messy compared to killing/cleaning them at the shore, and then taking them home to the pot to cook them.
    I used plain old fashion hot water, Maybe add some kosher salt in the water to help bring it to a boil. I do a cold rinse to clean off any white foam that is on them. I also make sure that I get any remaining water that might be inside the shell by shaking it out.

3. Keep them live until right before tossing them in the pot. Grab all legs from behind, both sides at one time. Fold the legs downward and sharply bang their face on a solid object (driveway rock, wood splitting stump). Twist their legs downward and center to break them free of the body. Toss the meaty legs and joint area in the boiling cauldron of blissful seasoning and discard the rest. No need to cook the main body filled with crap and maybe whatever heavy metals the bottom Feeders have accumulated.

mbowers likes this.
  4. This seems so brutal,were is you compassion for living beings!!!!!!

5. Sounds very caveman-ish...I like it! What seasonings do you use in your boil?

6. just got back with 4 fresh crabs. Here is what I do. I kill them at the last minute, through the shell and gils, guts in the garden. Then I get a pot put in salt don't be shy, add some Cajun spice or old bay or both, add fresh rosemary and fresh time. You can also add corn potato, onion. Get your water boiling and at that time add everything at once. Cook for at least 20 minutes. And here is what you get. A really yummy diner!!
    DSC00215.JPG DSC00217.JPG DSC00218.JPG DSC00219.JPG DSC00220.JPG DSC00215.JPG DSC00217.JPG DSC00218.JPG DSC00219.JPG DSC00220.JPG

Steve Call, Alex MacDonald and Big_E like this.
  7. You had to post that just before dinner didn't you.....now I'm starving!

8. Mmmm, yummy in my tummy- got in trouble for the extra shot though. Loner shots-not allowed, oops....

9. No compassion, I'm a BOT.
    I like Annie's method, only I boil the potatoes and corn for ten minutes, then add the crab (minus the main body garbage).

10. You animals better hope there is no such thing as reincarnation, Myself I put the live crabs in the water & slowly heat the water to a boil while playing neil diamond cds so they don't suffer, and of course I toast their next life with a few rum & cokes as I eat them.......

11. No need to boil the entire pot. Just fill about a quarter full and when it gets boiling toss in your cleaned crabs and cover tightly. Some boils but most just steams and doesn't get soggy.

My wife's family were pioneers in Snohomish county and taught me this simple but tasty recipie. It's as close as you get to Puget sound soul food.If you were raised a northern Snohomish county redneck you've probably had this for breakfast.
    Take some picked crab meat and put it on an english muffin,the more the better, add some mayo if you want. Top with mild cheese like provolone and pop it under the broiler until the cheese melts.

12. Start salted water boiling, toss the bottom bugs in live, resume boil, boil for 8 minutes, drown with cold water to stop cooking, crack, clean, eat.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  13. That's what I do now. I used to split them with a heavy knife to the underside on their backs but that leaves little shell pieces in the body meat. The face plant method is much better and maybe even more humane (faster demise). I shake off the guts and pick off the gills before tossing in the pot. I've been salvaging the crabs guts for use in the shrimp trap too: I've now got a three step circle of life: fish guts to catch crab then crab guts to catch shrimp and then shrimp heads that go back to the sea. :)

For easier handling before I clean them when they're still alive I leave them out of water but under a wet towel (doesn't have to be saltwater) in the fridge for a while. You want them damp but not sitting in water. I have even left them alive and covered for over a day in the fridge (especially useful if you only got one or two today and hope to score on the next day's trap run but don't want to boil twice)

14. Boiled alive!!! Exactly 17 minutes, salty water boiling first before dropping in and listening to the screaming! Yeah baby!

15. In my history cooking them in the shell and cleaning them after gives you the most succulent meat. If you clean them first they tend to dry out a bit. You will not find many professional chefs that would clean them before cooking.
    For a nice aioli I like to roast a bit of garlic, then using a food processor puree the garlic and slowly add quality olive oil.

Again this is how I prefer them, try many and find your own favorite, then play around for even more options.
    Tim

16. Thats a good looking dinner. Back in the Cheasapeake bay the have the smaller Blue Crab and steam them live with lots of Old Bay.

17. The few times I've see them cooked (in Alaska and in Hilo at my in-laws house) ... they placed the live crabs in the pot of boiling water. In a kind of basket you could lift out. The crabs were placed in UP SIDE DOWN. After they were cooked a whole crab was placed on the plate UP SIDE DOWN. and the shell (body) was carefully removed so as not to spill any of the juices (shiru). Rice was added and mixed with all that juice and yellow stuff (fat?) Or you just ate it like a soup.
    then you enjoyed eating the legs. I guess it's a Japanese thing. LOL

18. I went to High School and college in Maryland and have eaten many a blue crab. Those crabs are not only smaller but seem to have less foul tasting guts, or maybe the guts just taste better. If you steam Dungies whole all that stuff flavors the meat. It's a little strong for my taste.

19. Step one: Catch crabs, place in bucket(s) with saltwater from MA of catch. I usually use saltwater from MA 9.

Step two: Transport to cook camp, drain some of the saltwater from the crab bucket(s) into boil vessel and begin to heat.

Step three: I like to use a roofing hatchet, a beer and a piece of 3/4 inch plywood for this step. Grab a crab out of the bucket and flip him over on to the board so you are looking at his abdomen. With the hatchet in hand, use one swift motion to chop the crab in half from eyes to abdomen, death is quick. Gather the legs and claw from one side and twist upward and toward the front of the crab. Shake innards into waste bucket and pull off the gills. Repeat this with the other side of the crab and any remaining victims.

Step four: Place crab halves into boiling saltwater and cook for ten minutes, I time this after the water comes back up to a gentle boil. Grab another beer.

Step five: Remove crab from water after cooking and chill with ice for 45 minutes. I like to use a large cooler for this and typically keep the cooler at an angle with the drain open so the crabs don't sit in a pool of water.

Step six: Eat too much. Serve with corn, a good loaf of crusty bread and some drawn butter with lemon.

20. I steam them. Boiling just take the flavor out of the meat.
    Big pot. Bring 2"s of water to a rolling boil. Place a colander in upside down to keep um out of the water.Put them in with the legs facing out, head up. Cover and don't open for 8 mins. No more. Over cooking is just as bad as boiling. Give um a quick shot of cold water to clean and stop the cooking. I like a butter/saki dipping sauce.