Best weight rod for South Fork of the Snoqualmie?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JasonG, May 19, 2013.

1. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

Most of the Fly fishing I have done has been on the South Fork of the Snoqualmie river. I havent been fishing that long and I have used a 5wt. Im thinking about getting a 3wt or even a 2wt. I like the smaller water. Im just wondering if I should stick to the 5wt or go smaller? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Jason

2. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

I have used 2wt's to 6wt's. It is up to you, but the wind can play a problem with the 2 to 3 weight lines. I just got a 2wt bamboo to use up there.

Tom Bowden and Kent Lufkin like this.
  3. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Media:
    Those little trout are a lot more fun on a 3 wt. than a 5 wt. It would be a worthwhile investment.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

We have sold a lot of Superfine Touch 7'6" one-weights overlined with 2wt lines for the forks. Great for dryfly time!

Leland.

rory likes this.
  5. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    If you haven't been fishing long, and are looking for a second rod, I'd recommend a 3-wt, over a 2-wt, simply because it will be more versatile. Don't buy a 'fast' action rod; a small fish on a relatively soft 3-wt will feel great. You might consider fiberglass (then, maybe in a 4-wt); they make great small stream rods.
    D

Kent Lufkin, Lugan and Brookie_Hunter like this.
  6. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    Anything 4wt and under would be great. If you're only going to spring for one rod, then I'd go with a 3wt or 4wt so if you find where the brookies are, you'll also be able cast a little streamer for them to slam too. :) You'll also have some flexibility to nymph if need be...

Lugan likes this.
  7. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I was going to write almost exactly what Dick wrote (and Dave's advice is close too): If graphite, get a 3wt (7'6"-8'0"). If cane or glass, get a 4wt. My favorite rods for that river are both glass - a Steffen 8'0" 3/4 wt (I use a gentle WF4 line on that rod) and a 7'5" 4wt Wojnicki. I use the former for the lower reaches and the latter for the slightly smaller water higher up.

8. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    There's a glass Hardy 3wt in the classified's. Pair it with the heddon 300 in the classic rods forum and have fun.

9. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

Media:
    Get a 2 weight, I've found that to be perfect for the Snoqualmie...

10. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Honestly, I'd give a glass rod a try. Mega fun on small trout. You can get a Cabelas Glass Rod for like $150 and there sweet. I have two and have no complaints. The 5' 9" 3 weight is a sweet rod for small streams, although it casts 40' or so max.

If you looking for something more versatile I'd get a longer graphite rod like the Orvis Superfine, Sage TXL-F or Sage Circa, Redington Classic Trout, etc.

Jeff Cheng and Brookie_Hunter like this.
  11. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    My go to rod on the forks of the Sno is a 3wt. In the past this was my St Croix Avid. However now that I have a LL 379 it will now be the weapon of choice.

Thing I like about a 3 wt is it still has enough back bone to chuck nymphs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

12. Cedar

Cedar Active Member

What they all said. I use a 389ll of a 376 superfine touch on all three of the forks. I was eyeing that hardy stream that is in the classifieds right now. I can't think of a rod that would be better suited to fishing the SF. I prefer using a 3 weight just in case I want to drift a nymph through one of the deeper holes.

13. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    7'6" one weight. I have the Orvis Superfine Touch.

14. dfg

dfg Member

I just bought a used Sage 3-wt and really like it. I've decided to stick with used equipment until I know what I really want and need. Used stuff is much cheaper (and more easily justified).

15. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I just got back last night from my daughter's college graduation and am catching up on email and the web. I cringed a bit when I saw this thread, figuring it'd be full of the usual advice to 'get the rod I bought'. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised to read so many thoughtful posts and shared wisdom.

I'm a bit unclear whether you already have a rod or not? If you own a 5wt, then I'd recommend skipping a weight when you buy your next rod and go for the 3wt instead of a 4wt or 2wt.

Why? The 4wt will be so close in feel to the 5wt that the difference will be minimal between them. A 2wt or lighter will be so different to your new casting stroke, that changing between them might be a bit overwhelming, especially on windy days when ultra light line rods will struggle.

If you don't already have a rod and you do plan to fish smaller water, I'd suggest starting out with a 4wt.

Why? A 4wt is light enough to provide good 'feel' when playing smaller fish, yet has enough backbone to handle larger ones as well as wind. Over the years, I've owned many dozens of rods (I still have over 20). I fish almost exclusively for trout on lakes and small streams and my all-time favorite graphite rod is a 4wt.

K

16. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

The SF is consistently windier than most places as it is the path to a low elevation pass. 1-2 wt rods are fun, but they are really niche rods. Build your quiver from the middle out. I enjoy a slow 2wt on the SF most days, but if I had to get one rod it would be a 7.5ft medium action 3wt such as the LL or Superfines suggested already. At the risk of a "get the rod that I bought" response... Winston GVX 8.5ft 3wt with 3 weight (really 3.5) Mastery GPX has a lot of touch in close and can punch out bigger flies in windy conditions.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  17. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

I am similar to the OP, learning flyfishing and trying to be prudent with equipment purchases.
    I started with a fast-action 9' 4wt.
    Not the most fun for 20' casts to 10 inch fish.
    I bought a used 8' 3wt setup from a forum member last year.
    More moderate action makes for a more relaxing day....It quickly became my favorite rod.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  18. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    This is quickly turning into one of my favorite threads ever. Thanks to both dfg and steelydan for mentioning that buying used gear is a great strategy, especially for newcomers to our sport.

You'll typically pay 25¢ to 50¢ on the dollar when you purchase a pre-owned setup, so you can afford to buy a much higher quality rod and reel than what the same money will get you in a brand-new setup.

Also, older rods typically have a bit more relaxed action, especially in the lighter line weights, making them a better choice for smaller fish on smaller water.

As a final thought, while 9' has become the de facto length for graphite rods these days, don't overlook shorter rods for streams like any of the Snoqualmie forks. I regularly fish rods in the 7' to 8' range. Here's a pic of a nice 14" WSCT from a small Idaho creek a couple of years ago I took using a 1980s-vintage 6' Pezon et Michel bamboo rod I bought from its third owner. Despite its short length, it would let me easily reach out to probe wherever I though fish might be holding.

K

[​IMG]

Lugan, Nooksack Mac and Stew McLeod like this.
  19. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Slower rods rock!!!! 8'6" or smaller 3wt med action or glass 4wt.... which might be the more fun way to go.

20. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    I'd like to echo the comments about used gear. As Kent mentions, it allows you to get higher end gear for a more affordable sticker price.

Of the 7 rods in my quiver, only one was bought brand new and it is probably the least liked, and used, of them all.

Check out the classifieds on the site here and either wait for a rod weight you want to show up, or post a WTB (want to buy) post.

Stew

Kent Lufkin likes this.