Best weight rod for South Fork of the Snoqualmie?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JasonG, May 19, 2013.

1. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    Wow that is crazy! I have only had mine out 4-5 times so far with no issues but I will keep an eye on it, thanks for the heads up.
  2. Kim McDonald member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    Ditto what Kent and others said about shorter rods and buying used. Scour the classifieds here and eBay. One of my most favorite rods was given to me by a friend who totally converted to bamboo, so I ended up with a custom made 7'6" 4 weight then put on a nice little Hardy reel. Loved that rod until the tip broke and I couldn't get Loomis to replace (Loomis was the rod blank). I bought a used Superfine (Orvis) 4 weight to replace it and absolutely love it. I only use 9' rods on really large rivers (S. F. Snoqualmie isn't large by Western standards, IMO) and thoroughly enjoy the shorter rods and slower action on smaller rivers and streams.

Kim
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. fly-by Active Member

Tangled in the Pines
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Don't overlook the 80's era Superfines - the "named" ones with unsanded blanks such as the Far and Fine, Ultrafine, Flea, Tippet, Brook Trout, etc.. Can be purchased reasonably and have a bit of a cult following like the Sage LLs.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +244 / 1
    IMHO the 80's era Orvis Graphite Superfine series are some of the nicest casting graphite rods ever made. For that matter a number of other Orvis 70's & 80's era Orvis rods fall into that category.

FYI - The Orvis unconditional guarantee does not cover rods over 25 yrs old. I found this out the hard way. They do offer repairs at very reasonable cost as well as an upgrade path also at very reasonable cost but free replacement of the same model is out of the picture if your rod predates the institution of the guarantee.

TC
    Kent Lufkin likes this.