Better than working...

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Kcahill, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

When I woke up this morning I had two goals before I leave on a 3 week business trip tomorrow, get the deck stained and catch some fish. After getting some coffee and staring at the wind whipping across the water I figured I would get the housework done first and fish in the afternoon. As noon approached the wind had not died down, but I was going anyway.

I quickly found some fish rising on a midge hatch at the end of the lake and switched to a floating line, an emerger pattern, and a dropper. I had 2 fish hit the emerger but my hook setting skills were highly suspect and I missed them both. The wind was also blowing me around even with the anchor down so I switched back to an intermediate line and a mini bugger and started fishing the weeds looking for anything that would bite.

A couple of minutes in I caught the biggest perch I had seen in a while (10+ inches) and a couple of stockers. I kept fishing the weeds on the way back to the house and in about 8' of water I stripped into what I thought was a log until it started ripping line at of my hand. It took all the line I had been casting and as it put itself on the reel the spool popped off and right out of the float tube...apparently I had not pushed it all the way back on after switching lines.

So there I was with a pissed off fish on one end of the line and the other end on the bottom of the lake, as you can imagine it didnt turn out well. I ended up getting broken off and then spending more time than I care to admit trying to get the spool without having to pull ALL the line and backing off of it.

But oh well, at least it was better than working!

TLDR: caught some fish, lost a monster

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Must be the moon phase, Kc. After a great carp outing on Friday I went again this morning at daybreak. 1st miscue: forgot a net. 2nd event: Hooked a monster on the third cast . . . during the initial run, I snapped the male ferrule off the third section of my rod. Thankfully, I'll invoke the "no-fault" warranty and default to a back-up in the interim. Hope you got your spool back.

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I've done the same thing so you're not alone in the dropping the spool in the lake bit. NOW I always check to make sure the spool locked in the reel frame.

4. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Me Three!