Beulah Classic, Redington CPX, or TFO Deer Creek Switch - what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Woodman60, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Woodman60

Woodman60 Member

I am looking to buy a switch rod in the sub-$400 range. Probably in the 6 weight range for larger trout rivers and summer steelheading. Maybe some surf. I need to go cast them all, but wanted to get some input for users out there.

Any opinions welcome.

2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Well, I don't have one in a switch, but am extremely pleased with my Echo TR spey rod. It retails for $350 new, and Im sure their switch rods are in the same price range. I would check them out along with what youre already looking at. Lots of muscle for slinging meat to those trouty bastards, And Im sure a 6 wt would put the hurtin on some summer steel.

3. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have the 6wt TFO Deer Creek Switch and I think is is a fantastic Jack of All trades fishing rod. Here is what I've used it for so far:
    1. Skating dries on a scandi head
    2. Swinging medium intruders with skagit head
    3. Single hand fly casting
    4. Single/Double hand nymphing
    5. Overhead double hand casting
    6. A float/jig rod with a spinning reel

It performed all of the tasks adequately and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. The one thing to keep in mind with any switch rod is that is a jack of all trades and a specialized rod for each of the above applications will work better in their specialty.

4. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    I will say that a 5/6 or 6/7 Beulah is the ticket. I have had both those rods and love them! the 5/6 is super versatile...

5. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

The best short spey rod bargain on the planet is the 12' 4-piece 5/6, medium action Angler's Roost Enterprises rod (on eBay, or Google them to N.Y. state) for $89.95. That is not a misprint.

6. Mayfly Aviator

Mayfly Aviator Member

Media:
  7. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    +1 on the CPX. I love mine and don't know what I did without it. Now that I have it matched up perfectly with a line, it's the cat's ass!

8. LBC

LBC nymphing beads with a spey pole.

Media:
    I agree, I have the 6/7 beulah and absolutely love it paired with the elixer line. The only drawback is bobber fishing if your into that. the elixer line doesnt mend all that well at longer distances. Ive tried all the poly tips and they all work great, scandi casting with a weighted fly can be done but it sucks. My input.... I love it and have cast all the rods in question. this rod is sensitive enough to have fun w/ larger trout and it will handle 12 lb steel as well, its taco'd but its got enough to get it done.

9. Woodman60

Woodman60 Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Always good to hear what people like about their equipment.

10. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Media:
    I have two Beulahs and they are good rods. I wish they were Deer Creeks.

The Deer Creeks came out after I got my Beulahs and I have cast and fished several belonging to a friend. In my opinion the DCs are significantly better.

11. soundflycaster

soundflycaster Member

I vote for the Deer Creek. I fished the 6wt switch today on the Willapa and picked up 2 fish. One swinging streamers with a scandi and poly leader then the other with a bobber and yarn egg. The Deer Creek fishes Skagits, Scandi's and short belly lines with ease. I also have used the Ambush lines with great success.

12. fishingcheftim

fishingcheftim Member

Media:
    I love my reddington 6wt switch. It does it all. I have spey cast, single handed and high sticked it and used it from many a drift boat. It deals really well with different set-ups with floating, sinking and all in between. I bought it after using one of my buddies z axis, so that I'd still have enough money to also but an 8wt spey rod.

13. OceanSunfish

OceanSunfish Member

I am trying to choose a 6 or 6/7 switch rod myself. It doesn't take too long to pare down the choices in a particular price range to Beulah Classic, CPX or Deer Creek......

As someone that has been able to fish both the Beulah 6/7 and the Deer Creek (I'll assume the 11' #6) what are the differences in performance? One more moderate vs. the other, etc. I tend to like faster action single handed rods for the same applications I'll be using the switch rod for so..... does that translate to a switch rod?

I believe Bob M. designed both models, so they can't be too much different, right?

Thanks.

p/s I'm intrigued by the fact that some have used their switch rods as "bobber rods" with centerpin or spinning reels.... I'll have to give that a try too!

14. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Media:
    Again, both the Beulah and Deer Creeks are good rods. I suspect the Redingtons are good as well, only I have not cast or fished them. For full disclosure, one of my Beulahs is the 5/6. That is the closest I own to the 6/7wt rod you seek. I have cast the full lineup in both the Beulahs and the Deer Creeks and I have fished most of them as well.

In my opinion the Beulahs are slightly more "tippy" in action, but I think the Deer Creeks recover faster. I get slightly better line speed and distance with a Deer Creek, vs a Beulah of equivalent line rating. I also find it a bit easier to lift heavy sink tips and flies with the Deer Creeks. I also feel the DC rods load more smoothly than the Beulahs, at least for my casting style and at my skill level. The Deer Creeks do not have the deep progressive (sometimes described as regressive) action often associated with the Meiser MKS lineup though. Both rod models are VERY nicely finished for production rods, but lately the corks on the Beulahs seem to be of better quality than that on the DCs.

So why my preference for the DC: Most of my fishing with switch length rods is two handed and using "Spey type" casts, up against high banks and under overhanging trees. Only rarely do I cast them overhead and singlehanded. I find that the extra 6 inches of the DC rods gives me a little it more control while still keeping me under most overhang which might become a problem with a 12.5 foot shortish Spey rod. The added plus of easier lifting of tips and big flies makes my fishing eaiser. If the majority of my fishing with these rods was single handed, overhead, I might rethink my preference due to the added leverage (fatigue) I suspect I would feel from pushing an 11 foot rod all day.

There is a whole school of anglers that fish switch rods using two-handed overhead casts off saltwater beaches, but this is not my thing and I cannot offer any opinions for that type of fishing.

Second, despite the listed grain windows for both rods, each has a somewhat narrower range of weights that they will cast comfortably BOTH overhead and Spey style. I feel the DC have a significantly broader range or window of line weights that will accomplish both comfortably and broad enough that several brands of commercial lines will work well. For the Beulahs, I found that I had to custom cut off-the-shelf lines to make them work the way I wanted them to on my Beulahs (a very costly set of experiments for me). Since the time that I bought and lined my rods, Beulah has come up with a very nice range of lines that fit their rods well. I strongly recommend that IF you choose the Beulah option, you also include in your purchase the Beulah labeled line or lines that Beulah recommends. They are most excellent fits and they will save you much frustration and expense in the long run.

As to Bob Meiser's design of both rods: Yes, he did design both, but the DCs were designed four years after the Beulahs, using TFOs patented Axiom technology and as advertised they fade much less/later the the Beulahs. Both rod lineups are clearly Meiser QUALITY designs, but one benefited from the lessons of the first and one takes advantage of technologies that were not available when the first were created.

In closing let me make clear that I am not so disappointed in my Beulahs that I sold them to buy new DCs. To the contrary, I still use them often and happily. I only wish the DCs had been available when I bought the Beulahs, because at least for my purposes they would be superior. They good news for you now is that you have choices beyond what I had back then. You can't go wrong!

15. OceanSunfish

OceanSunfish Member

Thank you for your insight. I realize that you spent significant time replying and I am grateful.

If TFO couldn't make an improvement with their DC over the Beulah Classic, then I wouldn't think they'd bother to produce them 4 years after, etc. Also, like you say, it really does come down to casting styles and ease of matching lines, etc... And, there is merit to advanced materials, etc.

This is a good start...

Thanks for the insight again.

16. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I got on the bandwagon early and got a 7/8 beulah preproduction. Meaning it was basically a meiser. My only complaint about it is that it's a straight 8. Nothing 7 about it. The 5/6 and 6/7 are very different rods. I'm pretty comfortable saying that the 5/6 and 6/7 are freshwater rods, and the 7/8 and above are saltwater rods. They are that different.

17. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I have the 6/7 11'6" beulah spey. Also a meiser rod. Sorry to add to the confusion. Really fun rod.

18. OceanSunfish

OceanSunfish Member

I got to handle, not cast, the Beulah Classic and the DC switch rods....... The proverbial "wiggle the tip" test tells me nothing other than I might be able to get away with poorer timing and 'tip cast' the DC like the beginner that I am... but that's pure speculation. I'll need to find a way to demo both rods side by side.....

I like the Beulah surf series, but it isn't offered in the 5/6/7 category.....