beulah rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by canyon45, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I had James Mello build one for me. It is just plain great. I absolutely love it. it is the 13-6 8/9. James builds a hell of a rod too. I have it matched with a a windcutter 9/10/11 650 grains. For photo.'s look in my photo gallery.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

2. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I fished the 7/8 quite a bit last summer with an Elixer line. It was a great rod and I was casting bombs with minimal work. We also put a Airflo Skagit compact on it and was able to cast larger flies with it as well. I spoke to the owner of Beluah last Fall at the Tou Velle Clave and he almost sold me one. I think you will find a lot of enjoyment casting this rod.

3. slippery_whippet

slippery_whippet Member

Media:
    I have a 13-6 8/9 and I tried a Skagit 650 head and found it severely overloaded. I went to an Airflo compact Skagit 570 grain head and it cases like a dream. I'm by no means an expert and I am consistently in the 80 to 100 range (when need be). I have also been playing with a windcutter 8/9/10 at 585 grains and it seems to also work very well, especially closer in. I am curious if you don't think that 650 grains feels a bit heavy and/or overloaded as that is a combination I have not tried. I know is sure felt difficult to chuck with the Skagit head on that rod. Thanks.

4. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Mr. Wippet,

I have no idea if it feels heavy. It is the only line I have ever used on the rod, or any "thunderstick" sized rod. Straight up, I am not an experienced enough spey caster to make a comment on the matter:(. I have never been to a clave/ sunday on the river type event to feel a bunch of different rods and lines. In my entire life I have cast 4 rods.
    I look forward to you PM'ing me so that I can try your rod /real combo.'s as you divulge your finest spots on the local S river.:p Good luck out there.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

5. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    I'd say that the 9/10/11 isn't severaly overloaded, just the higher end of what you can do with that rod..... I actually liked the Skagit 650 on it well enough, but I found that the 600 felt more to my liking... It's all personal opinion though. Whatever and how ever you efficently get the line and payload out is what matters.

6. slippery_whippet

slippery_whippet Member

Media:
    Thanks James, I retract "severely"

Like I said I'm not expert at this, but I do know that by the end of the day I was sure panting like a dog when casting that 650 Skagit head. The 8/9 beulah would definitely boom it out there, but I sure got tired doing it. A better caster might not have this trouble.

7. Coonhound Jed

Coonhound Jed New Member

Media:
    I talked to bruce berry yesterday and he said their new skagit line called Tonic will be available in about 60 days. 24 -27 foot heads for the spey and they are also making Tonic lines for all of the switch rods as well. Bruce had a good story about casting intruders to the far bank with the 5/6 switch! My next one is gonna be the 6/7 switch.
    jed

8. chew-

chew- New Member

Thanks for the info.

9. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Not to be too critical, but in general the heavier the head the less you usually have to do with the Skagit head.... That's why most people like Skagit heads that fit the higher end of the grain window for a rod. More mass means less D loop velocity, which means less motion and more momentum being use to load the rod...... More than anything, I'm sure if you spent some additional time with the rod (a few days at least), you'd have that "Eureka" moment when everything would click.....

At any rate, I'm no expert either (I'm a part of the JV casting squad too), so take what I say with a grain of salt too :)

10. k2flyfisher

k2flyfisher You're only so smart as what you choose to share.

Media:
    Home Page:
    all them beulahs are good sticks, but the 7/8 in particular is a gem for summer (and winter) steelheading. like Mike mentioned, we loaded the compact skagit 450 with 12 ft of T-11, a conehead leech and a prince nymph, and the 7/8 had no issues throwing it all day. if you can wait for their new line to come out, chances are they'll give a pretty good starting point for what to throw with that 8/9 youre interested in.

the new line is going to be called the "tonic" and is still in the prototype stages, but the idea is to make a line that will chuck meat but have the grains focused more towards the rear half, making casting feel more effortless. so more like a 40oz PBR instead of a fosters tall boy (rio skagit). one of the many things that beulah does well is dial in their rods with their lines- I think theres going to be an advent of easier casting skagit-type lines from a couple different manufacturers. aesthetically, theres not much else that looks as good as they do within that price point- very burkheimer-esque. so all in all, for performance, affordability, quality of components and good looks, we'll be seeing a lot more of these types of sticks (both beulah and echo) in the near future.