Beutorac's Flashy Lady?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Rob Blomquist, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Apparently a saltwater fly, I am looking for this pattern. All that shows up on the web is his tying video that has this pattern. It appears to be a pink bucktail.

Any help would be great.

Rob

2. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

This is my favorite beach pattern for ocean-run salmon - both pinks and coho. I believe the original pattern is more involved, but here's the simple version I tie:

Hook: 2-6 Long Shank
    Thread: Mono
    Wing: Tie in a bunch of pearl flashabou (about 10 strands) forward over the eye. Tie in a bunch of pink bucktail so that the tie-down extends about 1/4 of the shank to form the head. Fold the flashabou back over the head & tie down. Clip the flashabou so that it's slightly less than the length of the wing.

Tom

3. Joe Gallagher

Joe Gallagher New Member

Joe Beutorac was a great guy and tyer. I got to fish with him a couple of times before he died. There is some steps into tying his version of the fly which can be tied in many different color combo's. The tying video he did for flyfishing video magazine is the best place to see him tie this pattern step by step. It's we'll worth your time to dig up this video.
    Hope this helps.

4. Swinger

Swinger Banned or Parked

Joe Butorac was a very good freind of mine and I believe the Flashy Lady to be one of the best all around saltwater patterns for the PNW (I'll take a Flashy Lady over a Clouser anyday).

The original Flashy Lady as originated and tied by another PNW great tier, Wes Drain, was tied with pearl Flashabou in the manner that TomB described.

In his later years, Joe replaced the pearl Flashabou with pearlescent mylar tubing as it produced a much easier fly for him to tie commercialy (and I believe it be a more effective pattern).

To tie the pattern, wrap a body of pearl flashabou tinsel. Next, tie in a section of pearlescent mylar tubing at the eye so that tubing runs over the eye of the hook. You will then secure your winging material (Joe used bucktail, I have been experimenting with Slinky Fiber as of late) on both the top and the bottom of the hook. Whip finish and cut the thread. Next you will pull the tubing all the way back over the hook and over the winging material. I, in general, like the tubing to extended just a cm or two past the ends of the winging material (cut if it is too long).

You will finish the fly by tying in your thread just a tad back from the eye of the hook to create a bullethead (Thunder Creek style). Wrap numerous wraps, one on top of another. Whip finish.

Joe always used about 3 coats of head cement to finish the head as he hated epoxy but epoxy does create a much more durable fly. Add eyes with a Sharpie (again, Joe hated messing with tedious materials such as 3-D molded eyes).

And now you have a finished Flashy Lady.

If I find the time or am feeling generous, I may scan some of my ties or even Joe's (the couple that I have remaining) for all to see.

5. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Please scan the ties. I am having trouble visualizing this pattern and anything better than a Clouser interests me.

Randy

" When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee" Isaiah 43:2

6. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

I am trying to visualize the finished fly. Is the mylar tubing stripped apart after the head is formed? That would look like the original.

BTW, the original is in "Flies: The Best 1000", but the tie is not as described here.

7. rockfish

rockfish Member

pink bucktail streamer covered in pearl flashabou and epoxy head

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

8. rockfish

rockfish Member

tight loops in the fly gallery for saltwater fly swap my pattern {candlefish3} was influenced by the flashy lady, just imagine that pattern the same with pink bucktail instead of whitebucktail and purple angel hair. tight lines

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

9. Denny

Denny Active Member

Step up and buy the tape, Rob! It's well worth the price. In it he also has a number of great tying tips, and also shows how to tie a tube fly that I'm sure you'd like to use for salt salmon . . .

:thumb

10. Swinger

Swinger Banned or Parked

I have finally scanned and uploaded a picture of the Flashy Lady.

The top fly is a well used olive/green version and was tied by Joe himself.

The bottom fly is an experimental variation of Joe's tie which is tied with holographic mylar tubing and Slinky Fiber instead of bucktial. I also added 3-D molded eyes for effect. I havent put this pattern through the ringer yet and also note that my tie will slim down once its in the water.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/dc/user_files/655.jpg

11. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Thanks! Both those look like dynamite patterns. I can hardly wait to put them to the test.

Randy

" When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee" Isaiah 43:2