Beware...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Pat Lat, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,126 / 4
    One thing I know with certainty.... it ain't no cabezon
    Kcahill likes this.
  2. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +767 / 0
    I didnt check the adipose by the way I found some pics of very similar looking coho on the interweb so now I'm confused , but the face looks different, not that the face is the deciding factor or anything..

coho face.JPG gig harbor coho.JPG
  3. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    I guess steve and I kick ass at releasing coho then:p
    Jack Devlin likes this.
  4. gibbycu turns all year

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Looking at the "how bout this" pic, the tail sure has a lot of spots all over it. Plus the head is pretty round. I would have identified this as a cutt.
  5. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Yeah I knew that one was a cutty. They look so similar though, I figured Id throw it in for comparison.
  6. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Wow, the more and more I look at pics from past threads the more I realize how much variation there is in our resident coho population.Some pics look almost nothing like the fish I caught today, and others are exact matches. I have a feeling that I know of a few very good "cutthroat" beaches in my area that Ive been releasing coho at for a couple years now. That kicks ass.
  7. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
  8. doublebluff Go Beavs

Corvallis, OR
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    Looks like a cuttie but regardless, a great fish. I wish I had caught it!

Thanks for the post.
  9. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
  10. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +258 / 3
    Ah, Pat, I thought the "how about this" was a different shot of the same fish, which is obviously a cutt. The first two you posted are hard to tell for sure, that yellow makes it hard to tell, but the scale pattern screams coho. Pictures drive me crazy when I look at them after the fact. But I have to agree, it has more coho clues than Searun, shocking that Curt was right again!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  11. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +961 / 1
    I'm concerned that some of you guys may not be getting enough to eat. I'll send you some McDonalds coupons.:):)

Sorry, I'm a wise ass. Couldn't resist.
    Jack
  12. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Pat,

I think I caught that coho's twin brother this morning at another beach. I did the same thing: got him in close, looked for an adipose, and released.

Great fish regardless, and a great reminder that unless you plan to take it home you should not be dragging it up on the beach (which I would say includes staghorn sculpins or whatever they are--saw a guy catch one, flip it up onto the beach, then kick it back into the surf where it struggled to right itself and get away; maybe I'm a softy, but I was so effing annoyed at that).
    ten80 likes this.
  13. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    well I knew there was something different about that fish. All day I was thinking that it was absolutely the most spectacular cutthroat I've caught so far. I guess I know why now. I guess the first tip off that it was a coho should have been the fact that it bit on a chartreuse/white clouser with red eyes
  14. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    I concur
  15. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +656 / 0
    Pat -

Much of the variation you are seeing in the various photos of "resident" coho are due to feeding conditions (controlling the robustness of the fish) and the maturity of the fish. The same fish will look like what we typically think of as a "resident" coho ( a shiny fatty with loose scales) as an immature fish in the late fall/winter/spring/early summer and look like the one you caught this week as a mature fish.

In fact the coho in the ocean and those that stay as "resident" fish will look very much the same for the first year or so they are in the salt (though the ocean fish will tend to be larger). And as mature fish they will also look much the same though of course once again the ocean fish tend to be larger. It is just that most of us don't see many ocean coho until they return as maturing or mature fish here in the sound or the rivers.

BTW -
    Over the next few weeks here in the sound near the mouths of the various rivers (especially those with large hatchery coho programs) one can find good numbers of coho jacks (males that matured a year early and typically are 12 to 18 inches long). They can provide some excellent fishing for those of us throwing feathers. While some of that fishing can be done from the shore the best is a boat show. Look for rips with bait off the first point or two out from the mouth of their natal rivers. These fish tend to be aggressive taking 2 to 3 inch flies readily. One good years (one with good returns and a dry period in mid- to late September) a couple anglers that have found a pod of fish can expect to measure their catch by the dozen often with one or more bonus larger adult.

I have been catch a few jacks in the Sound for several weeks now so this may be a good year for coho jacks. If this rain stops for the next week or so I just may have do some prospecting (suspect my beloved river cutthroat may be done for the year so will have to fall back on plan B or C).

Curt
    Pat Lat likes this.
  16. ptphisher Member

Bremerton, Washington
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I got your back as well Pat, there is no doubt that this fish is a cutty, but that makes me wonder how many cutts have not made it through because of mis- identification. I guess when they cook it up they will figure it out.
  17. High Flyin Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Great Pics. That first one is one that should be printed out and hung on the wall.
  18. mbowers Active Member

Jupiter, FL / Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    The backs of the older thread cutt and this thread coho look very similar but the cutt in the 2nd pic in the old thread has spots below the lateral line and your coho does not have spots below the lateral line IMHO..
  19. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    I've caught a few coho that looked nearly identical to this this year from a beach that I have never seen (or heard of) a cutty caught at. I was thrown at first by the coloration and more pronounced spots. I actually had a couple I almost thought were pinks because of the larger more oval spots and a couple spots on the lower half of the tail. These fish had set scales as well. I'm no expert but all the cutts I've caught and all the ones I've seen pictures of have spots below the lateral line.
  20. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    now this is what I expected my first sizeable fly-caught coho to look like. that other fish looked like a silly cutthroat. DSCN2758.JPG