Big Boy Cataraft

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ed Call, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    My narrow and short two person frame was a bit tight and when wanting to have a friend front and back or for taking family trips of length I wanted more room. Riverman wanted to downsize. We swapped frames.

My new to me frame arrived this evening and after everyone was in bed I put it together (about 90 minutes because I'm not that smart) and then another hour or so messing around with it.

First photo: (needs some parts, casting floors front and rear, mount the bags, yada yada yada...)

This thing is SOOOO Much BIGGER than my former frame and tubes. I hope that is a good thing.

2. Riverman

Riverman Member

Fantastic...

3. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

Home Page:
    Wow, that would even be roomy for my big ass! You need to replace those seats with sofas.

4. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

ARK! ARK!

Ive

5. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

ARK! ARK!

Ive

6. Ed Call

Media:
    So, clearly after a few hours of sleep on the matter...I need to install some casting decks fore and aft. I've got a bunch of surplus bamboo flooring that will do if I can't find a solution (inhouse so it is already paid for). I can seal it well, it will support my weight with minimal flex and damn would it look nice (and odd). Anyone have any light weight, strong load bearing ideas for decking? My drop down frame tubes are 30" center to center and I'm thinking a nice dance floor of about 28" x 28" will give the angler positions a lot of comfortable room to move about. I've thought of trex decking, but that stuff is HEAVY and this toon is already twice the weight of my previous 2 seater. I've thought of plastic or metal shelving from heavy duty shelf rack systems. Who's got some great ideas that won't break the already broken and depleted piggy bank?

I also want to put some sort of platform on the sides (tough on the rower's right due to the anchor clamp assembly) so that the passengers can step onto the tubes without actually touching the tubes. Again, I was thinking of in house bamboo flooring or the trex decking...and your thoughts are?

7. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

All that bamboo, you could float the Mekong with anonymity.:rofl:

8. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    Beech plywood is only about $40-50 sheet. It doesn't weigh that much and you can seal it with a poly sealer or resin. If you use the resin, drizzle some sand on it when the top hardens.

9. Jake Dixon

Jake Dixon Member

10. Riverman

Riverman Member

My friends had a guy out west sew them a custom mesh floor for their cats to exact specifications, and it was very reasonable and tough. I'll send you the website tonight.

11. Ed Call

Media:
    Thank you both for the mesh floor suggestions. Never used or stood on one but I'll check them out. I'm looking for some "mesh" metal sources too. I have a few quote requests pending.

12. shawn k

shawn k Member

13. Ed Call

Media:
    Thanks Shawn K, I've got a link to that page and have considered it. I had thought more about it for cargo platforms than standing areas though.

14. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

If Riverman ever winds up in WA he's got plenty of willing fishing partners.

Kick ass boat Mumbles!

15. Christian Brewer

Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Media:
    Mumbles I have the mesh floor on my 14' cat and love it...it drains almost instantly. I thinks its easy to stand on...it flexes some but not enough to cause you to be unbalanced. I would highly recommend it. I'm 90% sure that I'll be over for the Hoh Down and I'll have it there if you want to test drive it.

Good luck,
    Christian

16. Ed Call

Media:
    Thanks Christian. With that known I'll fabricate something with what I've got at hand and make a more informed decision later. I've never stood on one but they are sure less expensive than the full aluminum reinforced decks. Do you have your mesh floor full length? I was thinking on my 122" frame I'd prefer just to deck the front with a 48" NRS floor and the back with another 48" deck. That would allow a good space for the anglers or family to stand and move about but also provide a floor for a cooler or two for storage. They also have mesh floor spreaders to span the drop tubes to keep the floor at higher tension, do you use those also? Thanks again.

17. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sweet craft Mumbles! What weight anchor are you considering?

18. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I think for its test run you should take Nick and I out in it. ;)

19. Ed Call

Media:
    Christian, what about boot soles and those fabric floors? What do studded soles do to them? I have my fears but since I've not used them I don't really know.

Derek, I have a 25# pyramid that I plan to hang from the back. I hope to tie off the terminal end of the rope to the base of the pulley arm and hang the anchor on the rope on a pulley to make pulling it up a bit easier. Thoughts?

Big_E, I'm game, but maybe I can find a few tiny guys to row around first. Nothing personal but both you and Nick are grain fed block the sun big fellas. I'm a pencil neck geek with matching arms. We should get out, but when?

20. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Pulley's FTW. I've got a used pyramid with some chain linked onto it as well - thinking it goes about 30 pounds. I just got a 45# chain anchor a few weeks back, and that's going on the new Clack!