Big Boy Cataraft

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ed Call, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Sue, thank you for that photo. Today I mounted the yakima rollers to help aid in trailering the boat. I don't like how they worked really well, but for now they'll do. I need to get a full width drift boat roller, I'm sure that would be a better fit. I mounted four of the PVC rod tubes, two per side, one facing fore, the other aft. I mounted them to the frame with a pair of short straps and they seem to be pretty solid. They are only 10' right now but when my local store has more of the tubing I'll add some 3' or 4' extensions so they can accomodate spey rods too. I might get to start working on those notches in the tubes flared ends after the dinner/bed time routine. I also added a small standing platform under my seat so that I can stand to scope out the line ahead. There is still no full floor beneath me so I can fred flintstone over skinny stuff. I got a bit done while the girls were pulling weeds.

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

If you're not careful, that thing is going to weigh more than the "Enterprise"! :rofl:

3. Ed Call

Yeah, it is heavy but that is what the trailer, winch and friends are for. Ask Rob and Matt if it was comfy enough for them at the Hoh Down.

4. Mike Lee

Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

Mumbles, nice looking ride! Wish I would of made it to the HOH down to see it in action. In regards to the PVC planks you installed, are those PVC lumber or Decking? I ask because the decking is reinforced with glass fibers, but still need to be supported every 16", but that's only for a deck built to code. I'm sure a larger span for short usage is fine. If it's just lumber like fascia or trim, you may want to consider switching it out in the next year. PVC lumber doesn't really have any structural characteristics and after a fair amount of flexing, heat, cold, and UV exposure, it will get thin on the bend (heat) and brittle on the cold days and crack. When brittle pvc cracks can be sharp and with the location just over the pontoons, I would be concerned.

Stair. Have you ever tried to bend tubing? Just a thought, but do you think a flip up/down step would help? Like the ones on the back of tall trucks and side load boats. You could attach two tubes, cantilevered off the cross tubes, bent down close to the outer side of the pontoonabout halfway down with a flip up/down step. If you can match the radius of the pontoon it wouldn't look out of place at all. Just a thought.

5. Ed Call

Mike, good point on the side rails, they are actually PVC decking. It seems to be good even on the one long span that surrounds the rower's seat.
    Can you fabricate those flip down steps...you could be my new best friend! Cool idea.

6. Mike Lee

If I do will that possibly reserve a seat on the MUMCRAFT for me at the next Hohdown? I want Rob's seat, his avatar of that excellent fish just makes me jealous.

I have a few contacts from my past machining days. I'll hit them up and see what they can do. Can you let me know what the existing tubing O.D. is? I have an Idea for supporting the the attachment.

7. Ed Call

Mike, Rob and Matt alternated front/rear seating at this past Hoh Down. We can set up a cage match or something! The fish in his avatar is nice, but of course he caught it when I was not around (I'm the black cloud of skunk-y-ness). The OD of the frame tubing is 1 5/8" according to NRS.

8. Mike Lee

Nice! I'll start fabricating a portable cage to bring with me. Is there a model # that I can pull up online to get the specs on the frame? Just so I don't make multiple protos.

9. Ed Call

Mike, the frame is an NRS Retro, very similar to those still sold by NRS at www.nrsweb.com
    I think that they have discontinued the "Retro" and it is most similar to the Universal now.
    I got my frame from Riverman here on the site and it is a really sweet setup. I had to add a few parts to
    get it rigged up the way it is but the frame was a fantastic additon to my addiction.

Every time I check out the boat I think of those that have given me ideas here and there that have all come together in this boat. Fun stuff.

10. Mike Lee

I bet, the project sounded great and seeing the before and after pics are mindblowing. I will see what I can put together for the step and send you a drawing of the idea beforehand. So are your pontoons 24"?

11. Ed Call

Indeed I belive they are 24". Thanks Mike.

12. Mike Lee

Not at all......this will be fun, and who knows, we may be onto something.

13. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

14' tubes should be 22"

14. Ed Call

Thank you. I was figuring that someone would tell me if I was wrong...I usually am.

15. Ed Call

While getting my new rig wired with a round harness for electrical brakes on my camper trailer I visited the nearby salvage yard.
    Found an interesting item buried under a mountain of tires that Tony was all to eager to take a torch to. Brought these humble looking parts home from an old gravity conveyor. Covered the metal rollers with PVC. Bolted on the paired rollers to the back of the underside of my trailer ramp and put my shallow V rollers near the front of the ramp (middle of the trailer as the ramp is folded inside the trailer bed). Question, does this roller assembly allow one puny punk to load and unload the cataraft solo? The answer, yes indeed. This mere mortal was able to roll the big boy cataraft and all the crap I've added to it into the trailer without any problems. This will certainly be a plus when headed out for family outings as the misses will be tending to the girlies while I work on loading and unloading solo.

The photos are of the messy parts, pvc pipe for roller covers and the rollers as covered. I did not have the camera handy once I mounted the paired rollers on the trailer, but you likely can get the idea. Two rollers between two metal pieces that hold the hex shafts. Right now this 24" roller assembly (one pair of 24" rollers per side) is bolted on, but in time I'll have someone weld some flat stock across the underside of the ramp and then weld on or bolt on the roller assemblies. Anyone nearby that has a welder...I'd like some training! I can bring the beer.

16. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Nice toon, Ed! Where's the flight deck:thumb:

17. Ed Call

No flight deck, but I think at the Hoh Down both Matt and Rob were caught dancing on the front and back platforms. Thanks Alex. I'm still trying to improve some of my rough ideas.

18. Jim Henderson

Jim Henderson Member

Ed, very nice job of outfitting the raft! Your attention to detail is exemplary. The rollers look great, suggest the bolt on option as the roller bearings might freeze up at some point and need replacement. Also, spares are always good to have.
    We should consider a flotilla of forum member boats of the Yakima one of these weekends.
    Jim H

19. Ed Call

Jim, I'm up for that flotilla action. It would be great to float in the company of others as I'm still new to the river tooning scene. I have most of the family convinced that we need to make a family float too. I've got to find a nice storage system for the boat though, a dry box behind my seat or some small ones here and there. Ed