Big Caddis

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by jwg, Jun 30, 2014.

1. jwg

jwg Active Member

is this the so-called traveling sedge?
    picture taken at Leech lake last weekend.
    They don't seem to show the size very well, but it was the biggest caddis I had seen other than an October caddis.
    j

DSC02661shrink.jpg

DSC02657shrink.jpg

2. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

That's cool

3. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

4. jwg

jwg Active Member

Thanks Taxon
    Looks like a match
    J

5. jwg

jwg Active Member

Taxon:

I wonder if you could direct me to some good images of traveling sedges in the northwest.

I got as far as the following.

Family Phryganeidae - Giant Casemakers

http://bugguide.net/node/view/9213/bgimage

thanks jay

6. Taxon

jwg likes this.
  7. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I understood "traveling sedge" to have morphed to mean any good sized sedge that skitters on the surface.

8. Taxon

Hi Bill,

My belief is that only the Giant Casemaker caddisflies of family Phyraganeidae exhibit that post-emergence behavior of skittering across the water, and that the Northern Caddisflies of family Limnephilidae, many of which are larger than Phyraganeids, do not exhibit this behavior. Whether or not any (or all) of the Phyraganeid genera other than Banksiola exhibit this behavior, I really don't know.

In any event, there are (4) Phryganeidae genera in WA. They are Agrypnia (Great Dive-Bomber Sedge) , Banksiola (Traveller Sedge), Phryganea (Rush Sedge), and Ptilostomis (Giant Rusty Sedge). My belief is that the common names for caddisfly genera of interest to fly fishers were assigned by Gary LaFontaine in his book, Caddisflies.

9. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

There were some smaller ones up in BC that would skitter across the surface. One time I fished the real travelling sedge hatch the fish were popping 6 lb leaders. It was tough not striking too hard as one was stripping the fly across the surface.

10. Taxon

Hi Bill-

Have hit what I would describe as a really prolific Travelling Sedge hatch in BC only one time, but it remains indelibly burned into my memory. It occurred late in the morning, and lasted for several hours, until a storm rolled in and drove us off the lake. The technique (which worked for me) was dragging a Brian Chan designed Traveling Sedge Emerger along on the surface. The pattern appears in Fly Patterns for Stillwaters by Philip Rowley, and is extremely effective under the right conditions.