BIG fish in Lake Campbell!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Chad Lewis, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Okay, so they're carp, but they were big 'uns! I cast to them for about an hour and was totally ignored. Any thoughts on getting one of these brutes to bite?

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Really? Carp in Campbell? That's kind of cool. Carp are on my "goal" list for the not too distant future.

3. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Those are sterile grass carp put in Campbell and Erie to try to control the weed problem. Good luck getting them to eat anything but weeds. I have some that hang around my dock that are three foot plus.

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    I think the local folks bought some grass carp for weed control and they are illegal to target.

Then again I remember some program that had something to do with fish and wildlife dept.

5. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    no your right the lake association bought those carp to help control the weed problem that plagues both lakes from the end of July on. I am a member and all of us that live on the lakes have a special assessment to cover cost of lake care and weed control and over all lake health.

6. Jake L

Jake L New Member

I've fished for carp in the Canals in AZ. Caught a couple brutes over 3 ft on a medium-light spinning rod in flowing water. Closest thing to steelhead you can get in the desert! Haha, but anyways, I've found bread works well for them. They'll swim right up to the surface and slurp it like a dry fly. Just cast gently, I'd always wanted to try it on a fly rod, you can only cast a quarter sized piece of bread so far in a spinning rod. I can't remember why I never bothered tying on a casting bubble...

7. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Coarse Fishing :D

8. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

I thought they looked like grass carp, but wasn't sure. One or two were probably about three feet, give or take.

It's good to hear that people are doing their part to take care of the lakes. I knew that Lone Lake was recently stocked with grass carp to help with the "weed" problem, but didn't know that they weren't supposed to be targeted. Guess it's trout and bass then......

And just so everyone knows, I'm not above tossing some Wonder Bread to a carp with a fly rod. If anyone knows where I can legally do so, I'd appreciate the info. Just don't take pictures ;)

9. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Now, I'm by no means an expert in catching carp, I don't even target them. In one of the creeks I fish from time to time, however, there are some real brutes. The same technique I use for big browns there hits way more carp than browns and the s.o.b.'s are like freight trains snapping 3x tippet like it was nothing. I toss a #4 chocolate/olive bugger and let it sink to the bottom (produces a mud puff when it impacts)... wait for, oh i dunno, 20 seconds... strip it 3 to 5 times (produces another mud puff catching the attention of carp, and hopefully a brown)... let it sink again (puff), wait, and repeat. They will hit it most frequently right after I drop it in the mud again, but sometimes on the strip.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

(don't ask which creek - the stretch I'm talking about is private and I wouldn't give it up anyways for fear of having my tongue cut out and made into a necktie)

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

yeah...what is it about white bread...trout in Ellensburg love that stuff too :confused:

11. Matthew Malloy

Matthew Malloy Trout Bum

Bread works for carp, if you really wanna get one... might be easier to just scoop em with your net! Take a grainy picture from just a little bit too far away, give it a kiss and send it home! :thumb:

12. Nick Metzman

Nick Metzman Member

Media:
    I have been wondering about carp for a while and posted something in the general forum but probably should have posted it here. Where else can you get these monsters on the fly? Any info is appreciated.

Tight loops, tight lines
    -Nick

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Not trying to be a smart ass, although you will say I am. CARP - Rome City, IN at Sylvan Lake. Fish away from the dam towards the largest part of the lake. Best location is from the railroad track bridge. Flies, no idea, wheatie balls made with vanilla extract and maybe some peanut butter mixed in...that is the ticket. Big muthers too. I wish I was a fly fisherman back in those days as a kid.

14. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Speaking of Carp, last year on Rife Lake, I met this couple from Canada. They were fly fishing the same area I was at but were targeting carp. A very interesting fly pattern he was using. He
    had glued a coffee bean onto a hook!:eek: If I didn't see it with my own eye's I wouldn't believe it! It worked and he caught a few Carp in the 3-5lb range.

15. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Mumbles, I grew up in the midwest and as kids we use to fish for Carp. You know how it is when you're a kid, everything seemed bigger than it does after we grow up. Those fish seemed as big as a school bus and took some doing to get a hook into one, but when you did you'd have a story to tell at school for weeks! There was a competetion among us boys to see who could catch the largest Carp, you needed a witness to verify. There were some real monsters dragged up on shore from time to time. Steelhead aren't the only fish that can drag you downstream.
    Were you once a ten year boy standing on the muddy bank of a warm water river in worn out tennis shoes, grasping a solid fiberglass rod with a Zebco 202 duct taped to the seat hoping the next tug on your line would result in a near drowning?

16. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Hell yes. Indeed I have at least a dozen such experiences on that lake just like you have described. I was a tiny shit then, now a much bigger shit. I'd like to take my chances with some of those early days carp's relatives today and see how they and I measure up.

I got pulled in a time or two, but getting pulled in only made me work harder to bank those gold scaled beasts. Fun times.

17. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Read the Regs fellas, illegal to touch these