big fish in newuakum

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by caddis master, Sep 12, 2001.

1. caddis master New Member

Chehalis, Wa, hmmmm i forgot.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    big fish in newuakum: Stedman Log Jam?

howdy yall, me and my buddy hit the log jam yesterday, good fishin 8-10 in cutts mostly but my buddy landed a 15 in cutt, beauty of a fish
    good fight too, lots of salmon running all around us it was like the discovery channel, 40 in chinoook running right through your legs.
  2. flyteen New Member

Port Orchard, WA, USA.
    Hey, I have fished at Pioneer Park, and I know lots about those tubers ;) Fortunately for me, I've never been skunked there. If i was only good at setting the hook :) First time I went, got 12 strikes, landed a 10" beauty(for a small fish) seccond time got 25 strikes, 2 6"ers a 9"er and I hooked a 12"er but he did a taildance and I lost him. I've never used nymphs there, and I probably won't unless I'm on the verge of getting skunked. Best flys for the river are: Parachute Adams sz 14-18, Yellow or Red Humpy sz 14-18, PMD & PMD Parachute sz 14-18. Those splashy rises really get my adrenaline going. An older fishing friend of mine(adult, i'm a kid) caught a 17" cutt there. The very best spot in the pioneer park area is where the feeder stream is. But first start downstream (litle bit of bushwacking, you come out on a little beach and there is like a small island there) Wade a ways downstream, and then start making your way up, around the bend, and down the homestrech to the feeder stream ;) Be careful, if you get to close to the feeder stream, there is like quicksand there. Stay about 30-40ft from it and makes long casts to the bright spots where the sun penetrates, the fish hold right in the shadows of these, and dea drift it all the wy back to you, stripping in to keep from getting a big mess of line. After a few casts you'll probably get a strike. And most of the time the fish are rising. Heh, last time I was there there was this mad hatch soming off the water but i couldn't see the bugs! They were splashy rises so they might have been size 23 caddis or something. Any help on that? Anyways, they were rising like 15ft in front of my face left and right and I didn't know what they were taking. I got a few strikes on my parachute adams and landed a 8"er. There is also a spot around the bend above the feeder creek. I suggest going around and taking one of the other trails to reach it. Some nice pools that produced my first fish from there. Oh yeah, make sure toget your fly in the current seams (foam), fish like to group in there. Ok, enough of my nonsense, i probably just confused you all. maybe it's because I LOVE the river so much! Yeah, that's it! :jj
    --------------
    *Want to go fishing in or near the penninsula? Please email me! I'm always looking for partners! flyangler2000@msn.com*

[Edit]Where's the Newuakum river? I just got really excited when everyone was talking about the deschutes, lol[/edit]
  3. caddis master New Member

caddis master.....

whatsup flyteen , sounds like you got a good start on flyfishing at an early age..the neuwaukum river runs through chehalis about 35 mins south of olympia, its a fun river... small cutts but some big white fish, i yanked a 15 incher out last week...have fun and happy fishing
  4. drew New Member

Olympia, WA, USA.
    Sorry for not getting back to you all on the Sorenson Road approach to the Deschutes. Basically, you take Bald Hills Road out of Yelm for quite a way. After you see various entrances for Clear Lake on you left, look for Sorenson Road on your right, and take it. It's paved for a while, and where the pavement ends, there is a soft right hand turn, with a yellow gate across it. I park right at that intersection and walk in. After 10-15 minutes, the road crosses the river. There's a path from the road to the downstream side of the bridge. There you are. If you don't stop near the gate but continue on up the hill, there are some other logging roads that may lead to the river, but I don't know. On the map, it looks like Sorenson road crosses the river again farther upstream, but when I drove up there a few months ago, the road ended at a big wooden gate (closed). If anyone knows of any other ways in, let me know.

Going up to White Pass this weekend and hope to explore some small streams up there.

Good fishing, all.

Drew
    :TT
  5. caddis master New Member

caddis master.....

howdy d,
    nice to hear from ya again. thanks for the info on sorenson rd, I'll check that out definitly. went last night had a decent nite..mostly i was on smolt duty though, but i did land a 13" whitefish, it was beautiful snuck up on him down on my knees behind a stump, and sidearmed my line rite into a nice little backwash hole, first cast BAM, boy those whites fight good, im not finded the best trout fishin on the newaukum, but good whites so far. i think me and my buddy are going to be around the log jam tonight, he pulled another 13-14" cutt out of there last night maybe we'll see ya there. talk to ya later d.:jj :jj :jj :jj :jj :jj :jj :jj :jj :jj :jj :jj :jj :jj :jj :jj