Big Fish in the Snoqualmie!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Eric

Eric New Member

Tonight while fishing the snoqualmie I caught and released a 16"+ trout. My problem is I'm not sure what it was??? I was fishing the main stem under the bridge in Fall City. Normally, I fish the forks and have become well acquanted with the "Snoqualmie Skipper" 6"-10" trout. This fish was huge as compared to anything I have ever caught in the system. I'm not at all familiar with steelhead, could it have been one? Sea-run cutthroat? It looked like a rainbow, but in my haste to release it I forgot to look for a slash. For what it's worth it didn't really fight all that well, in fact I thought it was a whitefish until I brought it to the bank. What did I catch?

Eric

2. PeteM

PeteM Member

Chances are it was an SRC. They follow the salmon up this time of the year. You can usually hook them fishing nymphs or egg patterns on a swing behind pods of salmon.

3. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Excellent! I saw you fishing under the bridge as I drove past to fish the drift I wanted to. Now, I did catch a little pre-migrant steelie of about 6", and recieve the bumps of literally tons of smaller fish, but I did not catch any SRCs or steelies of size last night.

In addition to SRCs it could have been a jack steelie, as there are fish that come up the rivers after only a year at sea, not ready to spawn, they just want to watch. :WINK

Rob

4. Eric

Eric New Member

I was actually quite surprised to see many fish there. I also caught lots in the 6"-10" range. As you can probably tell, my fish biology stinks, but what of these rainbows in the main stem? Are they all just steelhead smolt?

Eric

5. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Yep, the rainbows are just steelhead before running to sea if they are in the sub 10" range. Above that, or fat and sassy, they are steelhead that decided to not migrate to the sea. Those should be rather rare, but they are not totally uncommon.

Rob

6. scottr

scottr Active Member

Media:
    It could be a SRC or a Resident Rainbow. It is the common beleif that the resident rainbows in rivers like the snoqualmie are basically steelhead that decide to not migrate to the sea. I have caught resident rainbows up to 14" in rivers like the snoqualmie and have heard stories of fish up to 20".

We will see more of these bigger fish if more people practice CnR, the rivers stay healthy, and people stop using bait.