Big Mayfly needs ID...Taxon?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Itchy Dog, May 8, 2009.

1. Observed this large specimen crawling on the side of the house this evening.
    Based on initial inspection and the general coloration, I thought it might be the same species
    as one that I photographed a few years ago and Taxon ID'd as a Brown Dun:

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11862&ppuser=5427

But in looking at the photos side by side, they're clearly different bugs. Plus, this one was about twice
    the size of the Brown Dun from before (a good 3/4" from head to butt, not counting the tails).

Perhaps Roger or someone else can weigh in with a positive identification.

Whatever happened to the innocent days when a bug was just a bug?
    Now everything is viewed as trout food.

2. Itchy -
    Until Roger pipes in and proves me wrong, I'm going to say it looks like a March Brown dun (Rithrogenia, maybe R. morrisonii). The two tails, main wings with a darkish section near the leading edge caused by the closely dividing veins, and the eyes set on tip of a broad head so that they almost look like they are staring straight up, instead of ahead are what I think make the case for Rithrogenia.

Thanks to Hafele and Hughes "Western Mayfly Hatches" for any insight I have to offer.
    Dick

3. Come on...that's a Bacon Fly if I've every seen one....
    Check your books. Most popular mayfly pattern in the US.

4. Kirk-

Your mayfly would be an Ameletus female subimago. See circled forewing veinlets attaching longitudinal vein CuA to the rear margin:

[​IMG]

5. Just as I said.... baconfly.....also known as an Ameletus female subimago, like Tax said.......

6. Most impressive, Roger. Thanks. Don't see many mayflies where our house is...must've blown in on yesterday's wind from a body of water where it hatched...? Other than a seasonal creek (trickle) here or there, the nearest moving water is the Snoqualmie, which is about a mile by way of the crow (or mayfly). There's some standing water in a marsh about a 1/2 mile by way of the same crow/mayfly. Would a marsh produce these?

Must admit, bacon sounds good right about now.

7. Hi Kirk-

Ameletus nymphs are not found in lakes, just in running water, generally at higher elevations, but apparently, not exclusively so.

8. Thanks again, Roger. Interesting would it be to know how it got here and from whence it came.